Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The case against Mdawg

Highlander was great IMHO and did nothing at the box office. As I had likely mentioned in an earlier post - I saw it at the theater when it was first released and I think there may have been 5 other people at most, besides myself, watching it.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Highlander was great IMHO and did nothing at the box office. As I had likely mentioned in an earlier post - I saw it at the theater when it was first released and I think there may have been 5 other people at most, besides myself, watching it.
    No Doubt.
    Good Call on this one tableplay!
    As I recall that movie barely made it through its first weekend.
    They either pulled it on Sunday or Monday.
    I think it lasted only 3 days in the theaters.
    I suppose the movie is a movie for guys who like movies.
    I always enjoyed it and a few of the sequels.
    The TV Series was always good as well and as I said before, the TV Series enabled them to make all the sequels.

We also need to define a flop.
    Many movies doubled their money invested but were considered financial failures because they expected much more on the time and money invested.
    The list is so easy to create I find myself not wiling to do the work.
    You could go all the way back to Howard Hughes and Hell's Angels lol.
    He spent 2.8 Million to get back 3.95 Million at the Box Office.
    How many years did it take for him to finally finish and release that movie?
    I want to say 4 years but I'd have to look it up.
    Epic Film of its day but I'm sure most members here never seen it.

So many low budget artistic movies that barely broke even that are really top notch.
    A bit subjective though as I'm kind of into movies.
    Off the top of my head I am thinking of The Good Thief and Off the Black with Nick Nolte.
    Critics loved them but certainly not big money makers.
    I liked them but I've liked Nick Nolte ever since I constantly watched Teachers over and over and over again when I was a little kid.

I looked up the Good Thief for fun lol.
    If I found the right information they had a budget of 25 to 30 Million and only got back 5.75 Million lol lol lol.
    I seen that movie in the theater in Portland, Oregon but it wasn't at a mainstream theater.
    It was in one of those B Movie or Artistic Theaters.
    After that they refused to ever invest anymore than 5 to 10 Million in another movie.
    This was a common theme in the 90s up till the mid 2000's.
    Overestimating their projected return on their investments.
    Greed gets us all in the end.
    Last edited by monet; 05-24-2021 at 11:08 PM.

Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post
    Did Spaceballs do well in theaters? Maybe I’ll look later—multiple tabs is a pain in the ass on Safari for iPhone, my keyboard never wants to go away.
    Spaceballs is one of those many examples that I am talking about.
    Yes it made some money but not nearly as much as they projected or hoped for.
    It didn't even double its budget.
    Investing 22.7 Million to get back 38.1 Million.

For some perspective, Robin Hood Men in Tights had a budget of 20 Million and got back 67 Million.
    Let's look at Blazing Saddles with a 2.7 Million Dollar Budget getting back 120 Million!
    Young Frankenstein with the same formula... 2.8 Million invested with a return of 86 Million.
    In my opinion once Brooks hit these home runs he could run up the budget.
    Personally, I think when you have a budget of 25 some odd Million... people are skimming the till.
    Obvious Leverage.

In 2013, Brooks revealed that back when Spaceballs became a cult-favorite, MGM had wanted to do a sequel, and he had pitched the idea for 'Spaceballs III: The Search for Spaceballs II'.
    However, it never materialized.
    Brooks also revealed that he and Zuniga would return for the sequel if it did work out.

Wait... isn't this thread supposed to be about a case against MDawg???
    lol... you can always count on me to turn a thread into a discussion about the Silver Screen in one way or another.
    You're Welcome.
    Last edited by monet; 05-24-2021 at 11:27 PM.

I agree on Idiocracy being a very forward-looking documentary! Can you technically do a documentary in advance? "It's got what plants crave, it's got electrolytes."

It might be skimming the till, but for the time, the Spaceballs special effects were legitimately quite good. It appears:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...out-spaceballs

That, in order to get the blessing of George Lucas, Brooks had to contract his company's services for post-production, which came in at $5,000,000 by itself. I tried to find what all of the actors got paid, but couldn't locate it. I understand that Bill Pullman was relatively unknown at the time, Zuniga unknown, not sure how big Candy was yet and Moranis had a supporting role in Ghostbusters to his credit. I'd still think that accounts for at least a few million there.

I have no problem with MDawg, but he certainly has enough threads already.

I guess Fight Club would probably qualify as such a movie, even though it was big budget with a stellar cast. It still did less than 2x budget at box office. Donnie Darko is one that I know of that did extremely poorly at the box office, but became a cult classic...I didn't think much of it.

"Great movies," is quite subjective, but I thought Death to Smoochy was outstanding and was probably one of Robin Williams' best roles. I think Reign Over Me with Adam Sandler might be underrated, but I don't know that I'd call it great...just as likely I was impressed because my expectations for Adam Sandler actually attempting to act weren't very high.

Just because:

I don't really consider myself a, "Writer," other than to the extent that I get paid to write stuff. I can string together grammatically correct sentences and present my thoughts on a subject at (too much) length and in a way that follows a clear logical progression.

Gambling is a niche topic, so I happen to have a unique combination of passable (average, at best) writing ability and (slightly better than average) general gambling knowledge and mathematical ability.

you're very modest

I've read quite a bit of your stuff

you are way, way above average as a writer - and astronomically above average when it comes to gambling knowledge

FWIW - I too am a published author and once had dreams of having a career as a writer

I got a non-fiction article published in a small magazine that is now out of business

they paid me too.................they paid me THREE WHOLE DOLLARS - by check......................(~:\

again, FWIW, if you ever do decide to write a book - and you talk to a respected agent - telling them that you're a published author counts for something - they are likely to show some interest after telling them that

Edit: you recently had an article about advantage play on machines

IMHO that definitely has the potential to become a book if you were interested

it would have to be fluffed up quite a bit - and you would have to be willing to fluff it - I'm talking about anecdotal stuff that people enjoy reading

Last edited by Half Smoke; 05-25-2021 at 05:57 AM.
    please don't feed the trolls

Half Smoke,

Thanks for the compliment! I think I was being perhaps a little modest on gambling/math, but I honestly do consider myself quite slightly below average as a writer. If the article is linked online, I wouldn't mind having a look at it. Without going into specifics, I will admit that I make well over three dollars per article.

The only thing approaching a book that I'm working on is fiction and has nothing to do with gambling. It's semi-dystopian and takes place in the future where injected artificial fusion cells have caused humans to be able to heal at an absurdly rapid rate and can also stimulate the white blood cells to dispatch most ailments almost immediately. Those who are left on Earth have received what is known as, "The procedure," which, as an unintended consequence, also results in females being unable to carry a baby anywhere near term because the fetus is seen as an invader (and parasite) and is attacked by white blood cells.

The effect is similar to a disorder called Hemolytic Disease of the Newborn which, in rare cases, can also occur in the fetus. The mother's immune system sees the fetus as foreign, and consequently, sends antibodies to dispatch the fetus' red blood cells.

The injected cells are also microchipped and some artificial cells have fused with actual brain cells which gives the cells implanted during, "The Procedure," partial control over certain brain functions. If the injected cells sense that a person is becoming too angry, is about to do serious physical harm to another person or self-harm---they cause the host to simply temporarily lose consciousness instead. As a consequence, suicide is effectively impossible.

Whereby, the people who inhabit the Earth have mostly done so for hundreds, if not more than one-thousand years, and many of them just want to die. Other than the absolute basics to keep the world minimally functional, humans have, "Defaulted to a natural state of laziness and just wanting to be entertained."

The protagonist is one of the last, if not the last, person to wake up from the procedure. The procedure requires close machine monitoring until it is determined that the host's body has fully accepted the introduced cells, and as such, takes longer for some than it does for others.

Anyway, thank you for the compliment as to the possibility of writing a book. I might get around to that, but I don't think I'd be willing to fluff it and also present it as non-fiction. I'm also happy with the book that I'm working on in spare time to the extent that I find the process enjoyable---but don't really expect the completed novel to go anywhere whatsoever. It probably sucks.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Good Call on this one tableplay!
    As I recall that movie barely made it through its first weekend.

So many low budget artistic movies that barely broke even that are really top notch.
    Thanks Monet. So Spider comes to mind. I really liked it and it lost quite a bit of money.
    Name:  7j6Qnth.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  45.2 KB

Thanks Monet. So Spider comes to mind. I really liked it and it lost quite a bit of money.
    Seen it but forgot about it so have to re-watch it now.
    I'm pretty sure some serious shenanigans are going on when actors, producers and others get people/companies to pony up 10 million dollars or more to make some artsy movie.
    Can't they do the math??
    They know if they invest say 10 Million they need to sell x amount of tickets and they know that everyone can just file share.
    So this just leads me to believe someone is ripping someone else off.
    And I think insurance comes into play but not sure if they actually collect on major losses.
    I don't know how it all works but the numbers certainly do not make sense to me.
    I mean did they really need 25 to 30 Million Dollars to make that movie with Nick Nolte, The Good Thief??
    I guess, if you paid 28 Million to Nick Nolte directly and used the other 2 Million to finance everything else.
    Exaggerating here a bit but I think you get the point.
    Last edited by monet; 05-25-2021 at 12:18 PM.

I agree on Idiocracy being a very forward-looking documentary! Can you technically do a documentary in advance? "It's got what plants crave, it's got electrolytes."

It might be skimming the till, but for the time, the Spaceballs special effects were legitimately quite good. It appears:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...out-spaceballs

That, in order to get the blessing of George Lucas, Brooks had to contract his company's services for post-production, which came in at $5,000,000 by itself. I tried to find what all of the actors got paid, but couldn't locate it. I understand that Bill Pullman was relatively unknown at the time, Zuniga unknown, not sure how big Candy was yet and Moranis had a supporting role in Ghostbusters to his credit. I'd still think that accounts for at least a few million there.

I have no problem with MDawg, but he certainly has enough threads already.

I guess Fight Club would probably qualify as such a movie, even though it was big budget with a stellar cast. It still did less than 2x budget at box office. Donnie Darko is one that I know of that did extremely poorly at the box office, but became a cult classic...I didn't think much of it.

"Great movies," is quite subjective, but I thought Death to Smoochy was outstanding and was probably one of Robin Williams' best roles. I think Reign Over Me with Adam Sandler might be underrated, but I don't know that I'd call it great...just as likely I was impressed because my expectations for Adam Sandler actually attempting to act weren't very high.

Just because:

I'll give you Death to Smoochy because you will never see another movie like it.
    It isn't for the general populace.
    They aren't going to get it or like it... ever.

Reign Over Me was horrible and I loved Adam Sandler for his first 10 years or so.
    Hard to stay on top after you get x amount of dollars, married, getting older, children etc etc.

Take that phony Bill Burr for instance.
    He was great before he pulled back the curtain and revealed who he really is.
    At first he projected this Tough Guy, Angry Bostonian, Hates Everyone and will Say Anything Attitude... which worked.
    However, once he got famous and the money started to roll in he showed who he really is and that his Stand Up was just an Act.
    He tries these days but after marrying a liberal black woman and having children he constantly proves that he is just another Woke Liberal.

That's why I respect Norm Macdonald.
    That guy's act is his real life persona.
    I can relate to his degenerative gambling ways.

Yes Death to Smoochy was quite good - thanks to Mission for jogging the memory.Name:  DoCpy7o.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  399.6 KB

Nice Pick-Up tableplay!

Yes Death to Smoochy was quite good - thanks to Mission for jogging the memory.Name:  DoCpy7o.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  399.6 KB
    DW games are where I get dealt a pair of aces.

Nice Pick-Up tableplay!
    Thanks Monet. I hear you JBJB - I get quad aces on JOB ;-)

Math lol lol lol ....

Math lol lol lol ....

Good one. Math always seems to get in the way of a lot of things doesn't it ?

You're welcome Tableplay, and nice draws!!!

Death to Smoochy basically just let Robin Williams do whatever the hell he wanted to and it was outstanding. The one thing that I always appreciated about Robin Williams is that he was actually a nice guy, but he didn't try to make anyone believe he only did nice guy, family-friendly, comedy. He definitely never shied away from blue comedy.

I've only watched a few things with Bill Burr and I don't really recall what year they were from or his progression. "The Philly Rant," is absolutely legendary and always will be no matter what he does.

Norm MacDonald seems like a really nice guy, but I've never been able to figure out why people think he is funny. I'm sure there's very good reason and that he's an incredibly smart man...I just don't get it. It's almost like everything he says is an inside joke that I'm not in on.

A comedian who I think more-or-less tries to do the same general type of thing as Norm is Todd Barry---who I think is hilarious beyond words...but some people I've asked don't get him.

Here you go:

Fuck me running, I just lost it completely four times in three minutes!

You're welcome Tableplay, and nice draws!!!

Death to Smoochy basically just let Robin Williams do whatever the hell he wanted to and it was outstanding. The one thing that I always appreciated about Robin Williams is that he was actually a nice guy, but he didn't try to make anyone believe he only did nice guy, family-friendly, comedy. He definitely never shied away from blue comedy.

I've only watched a few things with Bill Burr and I don't really recall what year they were from or his progression. "The Philly Rant," is absolutely legendary and always will be no matter what he does.

Norm MacDonald seems like a really nice guy, but I've never been able to figure out why people think he is funny. I'm sure there's very good reason and that he's an incredibly smart man...I just don't get it. It's almost like everything he says is an inside joke that I'm not in on.

A comedian who I think more-or-less tries to do the same general type of thing as Norm is Todd Barry---who I think is hilarious beyond words...but some people I've asked don't get him.
    You have to lean on the right side to get Norm.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    I figure we need a new mdog thread. Now where to put it? Has to be Las vegas forum right? That's where this great story takes place.

So I was looking for something specific and was reading through some threads on several forums, until I got a headache and had to stop. While I didn't find what I was looking for, I did find some interesting things I hadn't read or considered before.

I am sorry, I didn't bookmark some of these things so I could post direct quotes, but at one point Mdawg says "I am a writer. It is what I do. Beside what I do professionally, writing is something I enjoy". So I ask others, what does that mean to you? It doesn't say 'fiction' but most 'writing" is fiction and for good reason, that is what gets and holds the attention of readers, which is what this Mdog escapade is all about.

Now what about the phrase 'adventures of'? Is it just me or does anybody else being objective think that sort of implies "made up" or fiction? How about the handle and main "character" in the whole adventure, Mdawg, "dawg" is from hip hop culture and a marketing ploy.

At another point Mdawg said his writings are just for himself at this point. He went on to say that someday he may want to publish his story, but right now it was just for him (and since he is posting it on at least 4 forums, I guess us).

So let's talk about the 4 forums, all with this thread with identical title "adventures of Mdawg". This is clearly a branding marketing technique. This "story" is a brand that he intends to try to monetize at some point.

Mdawg only posts in his Mdawg adventure threads. He is not interested in contributing anything anywhere else. Again, it is about his 'brand'.

Numerous times he has posted about the Alexa ratings of different forums, and threads when he posts vs when he doesn't. I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't even aware of Alexa ratings, and now that I am could care less. I frequently post things that I suspect won't be very popular threads. But it is something I want to say, like the recent station buffet thread, or perhaps this one. Who the hell posts seeking out ratings? Again, I doubt any of us even knew of that crap. Only a guy with a marketing agenda.

Last year, after he had been posting here during a lengthy suspension at WoV, when the suspension ended, he announced, literally announced, he would only be posting at forums that had the highest Alexa ratings. Again, this is a guy marketing his product and the product is a fictitious tale that he intends to publish and monitize.

Sockpuppets: MucusMarcus and wellbush. Mucusmarcus amazingly signed up at WoV and started posting just when Mdawg was suspended, using a VPN of course. And Wizard looked the other way! Mdog needs these sockpuppets not only for the moral support (and praise) to appear credible, because there are no real people that find him credible, but to constantly bump his thread at WoV. Again, marketing. He can't have the thread die, which it would without these sockpuppet bumps. Interesting that wellbush and marcusmucus haven't shown their face here, where their VPN sockpuppetry wouldn't be tolerated. Only at WoV where Shackleford is oddly tolerating it, in the name of traffic.

Have you noticed the way Mdawg flips on people. Anyone that says anything that Mdawg considers positive, he has good things to say about. But as soon as that person, says anything negative, Mdog turns, like a top. I will use my good friend Rob Singer as an example. When Rob voted in the mdawg poll, which was really Rob voting against me, Mdawg heaped praise on Singer. But more recently Singer posted what he really thought and the mdog turned on the attack guns.

I am going to finish up with a little math: In the mdawg thread on this very forum, last year, someone (I believe half smoke) asked what the probability was for Mdawg having 12 consecutive trips, which he has posted, all lasting days to weeks and winning every trip, playing a -EV game? Tableplay, who is smarter than me with this stuff, answered, 0.00000498383%, later clarifying 1 in 20 million. And that was before Mdawgs 2 most recent trips last fall of more than a month and this current trip of 2 months and 200k winnings. The odds of this now must be well over 1 in several hundred million.

It's a story, a fictional story of a fictional character, very similar to Singer's whole thing. James bond-ish fantasy stuff and nothing else.
    The reason I only occasionally read these threads is because they remain riddled with kew the cum-mouthed liar's self-confidence-building misrepresentations and whopper-sized lies.

Mdawg is a sick pup compared to my gaming career. You seen him on tv or heard him on national radio? Is he in the middle of an 8-year run as a LV paper's most popular and most read column ever? Has his play been completely vetted by several LV publishers?

Kew, one of the reasons you remain so full of shit is because you keep bringing up your obsession, me, and continuously apply feel-good lies to it.

Here's an exercise that you're not gonna want to complete....just as you and max were too worried to come to Phx. like you both claimed you'd do when I put the Newell up for sale: show us all where I ever "self-published" either of my books.

That's just another one of your hundreds of lies about me, simply because you know you'll never live half the life I've lived and it burns your 9-year old boy ass no end.

Then wise up.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    The reason I only occasionally read these threads is because they remain riddled with kew the cum-mouthed liar's self-confidence-building misrepresentations and whopper-sized lies.

Mdawg is a sick pup compared to my gaming career. You seen him on tv or heard him on national radio? Is he in the middle of an 8-year run as a LV paper's most popular and most read column ever? Has his play been completely vetted by several LV publishers?

Kew, one of the reasons you remain so full of shit is because you keep bringing up your obsession, me, and continuously apply feel-good lies to it.

Here's an exercise that you're not gonna want to complete....just as you and max were too worried to come to Phx. like you both claimed you'd do when I put the Newell up for sale: show us all where I ever "self-published" either of my books.

That's just another one of your hundreds of lies about me, simply because you know you'll never live half the life I've lived and it burns your 9-year old boy ass no end.

Then wise up.
    Oh Robbie, don't get your panties all twisted. You are liable to get all exceited and knock over the glass with your teeth in it and have to go crawing under the sofa looking for them. Nobody cares about you, your book or even any of your other make beleive nonsense anymore. MaryDawg has replaced you as the gambling forums fantasy writer.

Self publish doesn't mean you were in your basement printing out copies. It means the publisher did a very small or limited run and usually the author pays all or some of the costs. And thats what happened with your book. You can say what you want but there is no way the publisher paid for a full printing. If he did there would be a ton of books sitting somewhere and you would be pulling a trailer full of books (no one wants) behind your pull behind winnebago. It would look like a hillbilly choo-choo train. Today they have POD (print on demand) technology to avoid that.

Just relax, stop eating roadkill (high in cholesterol) and enjoy what is left of your golden years mooching off your kids. Big successful gambler, living and mooching off his kids in retirement. But let this be a warning to MaryDawg. This is what progression wagering will get you.
    Last edited by kewlJ; 05-26-2021 at 04:39 PM.
    Dan Druff: "there's no question that MDawg has been an obnoxious braggart, and has rubbed a ton of people the wrong way. There's something missing from his stories. Either they're fabricated, grossly exaggerated, or largely incomplete".

Thread Information