Thread: $75 fine for using the Caesars minibar to store water

Name:  caesars-minibar.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  93.8 KB

The "sensor" minibars are already really frustrating, as simply bumping into them can cause you to erroneously get charged for consumption. Yes, you can have the front desk remove these charges, but often people miss this, or they don't want to bother for a matter of $10. So it's basically a negative checkoff scam (a scam where a massive number of people are ripped off, but those who complain get their money back).

But that's old news. Sensor minibars exist in many places, and have for many years.

This "fine" for utilizing it for other items, though, is new.

Caesars is now charging people $75 for using the minibar to store other items, in addition to charging for whatever gets moved around. I don't understand this. If they're charging you anyway for moving things (which should be illegal, and possibly is), why the additional $75 charge for putting something else there?

Before you reply, "You can get a free refrigerator by feigning a need for insulin", yes I'm aware, but that's not the point. Furthermore, those free fridges are not always available, and many also don't utilize this "trick"-- either out of ignorance to it, or refusal to lie.

Caesars needs to understand that people will always use these minibars to store their own stuff (especially water), and just deal with it. Presumably they came up with this policy in order to deter people from moving stuff, storing drinks, putting the stuff back, and then demanding a refund for the charges. But tough luck. If they don't like it, they can always put back the old kind of minibar, which doesn't automatically charge people for items being moved.

I've always wondered why companies don't manufacture minibars which only charge at the beginning and end of the stay, to where bumped/moved items don't matter, unless the person checks out and the items are still missing.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Many years ago, I went to Harrah's Reno, and they presented me with a contract to sign upon checkin.

The contract stated that I agreed to pay all sensor minibar charges as reported.

I refused to sign it. The front desk woman asked why I had a problem, as "everyone signs it", and "you're only agreeing to pay for what you use".

I told her that the contract said that I was agreeing to pay whatever the minibar said I owed, and not necessarily what I actually used. I said I would never sign a contract for anything where I agree to pay charges determined by a machine, and giving up my right for human intervention to correct it.

This frustrated the front desk lady, who wanted me to just sign it and move on. Her excuses were really lame, from the aforementioned "everyone signs this" to "don't worry, we won't cheat you." To the latter, I said back, "Don't worry, I won't cheat you either. I'm not signing it."

She told me I couldn't check in without it, and we got in a standoff. I asked for a manager.

The manager came and handed me the same BS lines. We were about 2 minutes into arguing, and I asked, "Wait a minute. Can you remove it or lock it in some way, to where it's impossible for me to get charged? And then I won't need to sign this?"

"Well, yes", said the manager. "We can lock it. But then you won't have access to any of the stuff..."

"Do it", I answered. "I don't want it. Lock it up."

So she did, and the standoff was over. I didn't have to sign. However, I walked away imagining a lot of chumps who were forced to pay erroneous sensor minibar charges, because they "signed an agreement to pay".
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Why in the fuck do you people still give that shitty company your business??? Screw that fraud WSOP!

Caesars seven star card when their were a lot of "guaranteed benefits" was hugely exploitable a few years ago, now it's not worth the effort unless you come across low hanging fruit plays along the way. Pre 2017 was very lucrative, with little/no effort. Pretty much a wasteland nowadays, with much better options.

I wonder what would happen if you unplugged the damned thing when you checked in and plugged it back in when you left?

Just for shits and giggles, of course.
    What, Me Worry?

Just bring your own mini fridge if they allow you to. Problem solved.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zk2WAFzDcrJ7pjNB7

Take comfort in the fact that no one is actually backing up his wishes to have you permanantly banned.

Smart is knowing a Tomato is a fruit.

Wise is knowing a Tomato doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

I am glad to get my full posting rights back! Thank you Dan!

Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
    Good idea! Nothing like lugging a mini fridge around with you. Makes it easier especially if you are flying.

To be fair to the front desk lady, it kind of sounds like Dan was being a bit of a diva and he’s notorious for being a pain in the ass to poor customer service employees.
    Last edited by mcap; 08-15-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Next to an outright scammer or something Druff has to be a company's worst nightmare as a customer......lol

Druffs customer service complaints are legendary, can't get enough of all those LMAO experiences/adventures, keep them coming !

Dan has a history of acting mortified and arguing with front desk people over ten dollar issues. That's the California mindset. They live way beyond their means, they HATE the taxes they are forced to pay along with the dumb high gas prices, so whenever they feel cheated they go into hyper-"I'll get it back" mode and pick on even the most innocent and uninvolved sweeties.

Dan didn't need to publicly complain about a foolish potential $75 charge here. He should just do what any half-savvy person would do and quietly work the issue in his favor. It's his fault anyway for letting his crazy addiction to CET get the best of him. Maybe he'll finally become an advantage player and leave his Total Rewards card in the garbage where it's belonged for at least the last 3 or 4 years.

Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post
    Good idea! Nothing like lugging a mini fridge around with you. Makes it easier especially if you are flying.
    I actually was thinking more of a Cooler you fill with ice and you can buy and chill your own soda and mini bottles of wine. My Customers do this often.... I was planning on saying,"Cooler," but put Mini fridge instead....

Take comfort in the fact that no one is actually backing up his wishes to have you permanantly banned.

I actually was thinking more of a Cooler you fill with ice and you can buy and chill your own soda and mini bottles of wine. My Customers do this often.... I was planning on saying,"Cooler," but put Mini fridge instead....
    Actually not a terrible idea as u can get the small soft coolers which as easy to transport

I like the electric plug in coolers especially for road trips, can get them pretty small. One cord for car plug in one for room plug in can bring it in hotel room. Only keeps it 25-30 degrees warmer or colder than surrounding temperature, more or less just re-circulates air, but you can throw those liquid ice packs in them too. Works good to keep fruits/veggies good a few days longer, keep to go food leftovers good enough not to spoil till you can eat them.

Actually not a terrible idea as u can get the small soft coolers which as easy to transport
    Thank you.

Once you steal 5-6 towels, I think you're even.

Originally Posted by theywontpayontuesday View Post
    Once you steal 5-6 towels, I think you're even.
    !

Thread Information