Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 7 Star Insider newsletter ending

  1. #1
    https://twitter.com/7starsinsider

    After many years it appears Darryl is ending the newsletter. While never a 7 Star, it always had information most anyone could use. Along with jabs at Caesars for the multiple monthly spelling and grammar errors they send out.

    It appears he is tired of all the work he was putting in and he never found a way to monetize the site. Hopefully he keeps the site up as the hotel information and reviews are useful to everyone.

    http://www.sevenstarsinsider.com/
    Guns don’t kill people…Alec Baldwin kills people.

  2. #2
    Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    https://twitter.com/7starsinsider

    After many years it appears Darryl is ending the newsletter. While never a 7 Star, it always had information most anyone could use. Along with jabs at Caesars for the multiple monthly spelling and grammar errors they send out.

    It appears he is tired of all the work he was putting in and he never found a way to monetize the site. Hopefully he keeps the site up as the hotel information and reviews are useful to everyone.

    http://www.sevenstarsinsider.com/
    Too bad. Who’s going to correct/edit ElDiablo’s grammar errors now?
    Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

  3. #3
    I used to like Seven Stars Insider and I appreciated what Darryl did. However, I lost respect for him and the newsletter when Caesars massively degraded the Seven Stars program (they kiled the room benefit and some other stuff), and he dismissed it as no big deal because it didn't affect him personally.

    See, Darryl was no AP, but rather a slots ploppy who lost plenty to CET each year. Thus, they still comped him, and he was happy.

    He didn't understand that the beauty of the Seven Stars program was the guaranteed benefits which weren't tied to recent play. Pretty surprising for a guy who purported to be an expert on the program.

    Here's my discussion fo the matter from December 2017: https://vegascasinotalk.com/forum/sh...ll=1#post56619

    I also had a stupid e-mail debate with him about the NCL cruise benefit. I was an expert regarding getting the most out of this benefit, and sent him some small corrections to his (otherwise good) guide on how to best utilize it. He again acted dismissive, but even worse, refused to believe me that NCL was keeping the mandatory "gratiuities" they were charging. I tried over and over to explain to him that this was a pricing trick by NCL, and nobody was actually getting tipped. He refused to believe me or think about the matter logically.

    I will give him credit for collecting and presenting information on all CET properties in an organized, clear, and easily digestible fashion. He was also good at breaking down the needlessly complex Total Rewards program for the layman. However, I was so annoyed with his curmudgeonly stubborn attitude that I lost interest in continuing to read the newsletter.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  4. #4
    Looks like website is going away too. I wonder if it is for sale and is there still enough traffic for someone to monetize it?

    https://twitter.com/7starsinsider
    Guns don’t kill people…Alec Baldwin kills people.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I used to like Seven Stars Insider and I appreciated what Darryl did. However, I lost respect for him and the newsletter when Caesars massively degraded the Seven Stars program (they kiled the room benefit and some other stuff), and he dismissed it as no big deal because it didn't affect him personally.

    See, Darryl was no AP, but rather a slots ploppy who lost plenty to CET each year. Thus, they still comped him, and he was happy.

    He didn't understand that the beauty of the Seven Stars program was the guaranteed benefits which weren't tied to recent play. Pretty surprising for a guy who purported to be an expert on the program.

    Here's my discussion fo the matter from December 2017: https://vegascasinotalk.com/forum/sh...ll=1#post56619

    I also had a stupid e-mail debate with him about the NCL cruise benefit. I was an expert regarding getting the most out of this benefit, and sent him some small corrections to his (otherwise good) guide on how to best utilize it. He again acted dismissive, but even worse, refused to believe me that NCL was keeping the mandatory "gratiuities" they were charging. I tried over and over to explain to him that this was a pricing trick by NCL, and nobody was actually getting tipped. He refused to believe me or think about the matter logically.

    I will give him credit for collecting and presenting information on all CET properties in an organized, clear, and easily digestible fashion. He was also good at breaking down the needlessly complex Total Rewards program for the layman. However, I was so annoyed with his curmudgeonly stubborn attitude that I lost interest in continuing to read the newsletter.
    I noticed he had a self-centered approach. Three years ago the Millionaire Makers Final got canceled in AC due to a very bad storm and many flights were canceled to Philly/AC. His comment was, if you can’t get there, too bad. The show should go on with 80% missing. Somehow, I have a feeling if the the shoe were on the other foot and he got stuck coming to…Vegas, he would have insisted they cancel and re-schedule. Curmudgeon is a perfect description. The guy would get a boner every time there was a typo. Like that high school 11th English teacher you pray you don’t get.
    Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

  6. #6
    Update…
    I understand Darryl passed away. This was reported by the Atlantic City Weekly.
    Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

  7. #7
    Yes, he has died.... and it turns out he was gay.

    The Atlantic City Weekly article mentions his male partner: https://atlanticcityweekly.com/arts_...b9652f12a.html

    This is only notable because Darryl never mentioned his partner in any of his columns, and you'd think that would have come up after all this time. I'm guessing he felt compelled to hide this, as many men from that generation did for so long.

    I'm guessing he ended Seven Stars Insider because he was sick. Seems too coincidental that he died so shortly after ending it.

    Anyway, while I had my differences with the guy at times, he still brought a lot of useful info to Caesars upper-tier players. RIP
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yes, he has died.... and it turns out he was gay.

    The Atlantic City Weekly article mentions his male partner: https://atlanticcityweekly.com/arts_...b9652f12a.html

    This is only notable because Darryl never mentioned his partner in any of his columns, and you'd think that would have come up after all this time. I'm guessing he felt compelled to hide this, as many men from that generation did for so long.

    I'm guessing he ended Seven Stars Insider because he was sick. Seems too coincidental that he died so shortly after ending it.

    Anyway, while I had my differences with the guy at times, he still brought a lot of useful info to Caesars upper-tier players. RIP
    There was a post on another site that said he had Brain Cancer when he first posted about stopping the newsletter. I didn’t repeat it here because it could have been speculation. But if he did, it makes sense he went so fast.

    RIP
    Guns don’t kill people…Alec Baldwin kills people.

  9. #9
    Website is now gone. Sad he didn’t give or sell all the content to someone before passing on.
    Guns don’t kill people…Alec Baldwin kills people.

  10. #10
    Hi, new here. Found this thread while looking for what happened to Darryl. For those of you that want the info that his page provided, here’s the link to one of the last updates. If you scroll past the “news” at the top, you can see the property list on the left. Each link works and still displays the fun stuff we seven stars looked for! http://web.archive.org/web/202010301...sider.com/home

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bank of America ending Total Rewards Credit Card
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 01:35 PM
  2. An Insider's Novel about the TV News Business
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Movies, Media, and Television
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 04:48 AM
  3. Las Vegas X Train makes announcements via email newsletter
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 05:52 PM
  4. What are the signs that a bull run -- or a declining market -- are ending?
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Money, Shopping, Real Estate, Investing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •