Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Vegas bars and restaurants are charging a COVID fee

I cannot upload a tiktok video clip but
    I took the picture of a video someone shared online

Name:  Screenshot_20210905-222621_LINE.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  821.3 KB

That's when you don't leave a tip. Surely any place accounting for that ridiculousness has factored paying their employees properly into the menu price.

Explain to me what the problem is tipping your fellow grunt, in the trenches with you, so they can have somewhat of a decent life earning 25k per year?
    If you don't want to tip... don't tip.
    Better to go to a place that serves food that isn't a sit down setting.
    Or... go buy some Fucking Food at the Grocery store and cook it yourself.
    To Go Orders are a thing and you can tip less or stiff more in that scenario.
    I don't understand the attitude that these servers are your slaves or servants and don't deserve a few dollars.
    You want them to cook the food for you, serve the food to you, give you half price, make it taste exceptional, wash the dishes and smile the whole time while they do it.
    Seems a bit Aristocratic to me.
    Many Servers have no Retirement Plan or Insurance as their employer does not offer it to them so when they get too old or the place closes down they are shit out of luck.
    Stop trying to penny pinch or at least stop trying to change the custom that most of us have agreed to for decades if not a whole century or more.
    I'm not directing these statements to anyone directly on this board as these are my general thoughts on the subject matter that most of you constantly harp on.
    Fuck... Live and Let Live.
    The worst part is when someone takes you Fucks to a fully comped meal and you still refuse to chip in on the tip.
    That's why I never ask for it when I go out to eat with anyone.
    I pay for the meal and I pay fully for the tip.
    Problem Solved.
    And hopefully, you cheapskates feel like you got over on me which makes you feel good.
    You all act as if you aren't born into one of the best situations on Earth.
    25,000 people dying per day from malnutrition/starvation in this world and you all are Fucking Quibbling over a 15% tip.

I agree that Fees are the Devil.
    Covid Fees and any other Bullshit Fees... that's Evil but that has nothing to do with the American Custom of Tipping your Server.
    You want to punish the business owner... steal the Salt and Pepper Shakers, Mustard, Ketchup, Silverware and Ashtray.
    Take it another step further and do some Dine and Dashing.
    Steal the Salami at Albertsons... whatever makes you feel like you evened things out.

Last edited by monet; 09-06-2021 at 12:04 AM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Explain to me what the problem is tipping your fellow grunt, in the trenches with you, so they can have somewhat of a decent life earning 25k per year?
    If you don't want to tip... don't tip.
    Better to go to a place that serves food that isn't a sit down setting.
    Or... go buy some Fucking Food at the Grocery store and cook it yourself.
    To Go Orders are a thing and you can tip less or stiff more in that scenario.
    I don't understand the attitude that these servers are your slaves or servants and don't deserve a few dollars.
    You want them to cook the food for you, serve the food to you, give you half price, make it taste exceptional, wash the dishes and smile the whole time while they do it.
    Seems a bit Aristocratic to me.
    Many Servers have no Retirement Plan or Insurance as their employer does not offer it to them so when they get too old or the place closes down they are shit out of luck.
    Stop trying to penny pinch or at least stop trying to change the custom that most of us have agreed to for decades if not a whole century or more.
    I'm not directing these statements to anyone directly on this board as these are my general thoughts on the subject matter that most of you constantly harp on.
    Fuck... Live and Let Live.
    The worst part is when someone takes you Fucks to a fully comped meal and you still refuse to chip in on the tip.
    That's why I never ask for it when I go out to eat with anyone.
    I pay for the meal and I pay fully for the tip.
    Problem Solved.
    And hopefully, you cheapskates feel like you got over on me which makes you feel good.
    You all act as if you aren't born into one of the best situations on Earth.
    25,000 people dying per day from malnutrition/starvation in this world and you all are Fucking Quibbling over a 15% tip.

I agree that Fees are the Devil.
    Covid Fees and any other Bullshit Fees... that's Evil but that has nothing to do with the American Custom of Tipping your Server.
    You want to punish the business owner... steal the Salt and Pepper Shakers, Mustard, Ketchup, Silverware and Ashtray.
    Take it another step further and do some Dine and Dashing.
    Steal the Salami at Albertsons... whatever makes you feel like you evened things out.

I like that idea even better. Find your server and hand them a $20 right before you roll out without paying the bill. If something happens while making the getaway you have the fallback that you paid the server with a $100.

Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    That's when you don't leave a tip. Surely any place accounting for that ridiculousness has factored paying their employees properly into the menu price.
    This one seems like suspicious clickbait. Notice you can't make out the name of the restaurant address or phone number.

Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post
    This one seems like suspicious clickbait. Notice you can't make out the name of the restaurant address or phone number.
    Giordano's
    (702) 850-2420
    3619 Las Vegas Blvd S
    Las Vegas NV 89109

Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
    Giordano's
    (702) 850-2420
    3619 Las Vegas Blvd S
    Las Vegas NV 89109
    In the mess that is outside Bally’s called the Grand Bazaar Shops. It’s a failure as most are empty and new vendors can negotiate 6 months free rent to sign a long term lease. This place makes crummy Chicago Deep Dish pizza. Blue Ribbon chicken is the only place worth eating at here unless you must try Walburgers.
    Hexx and Beer Park at Paris along with Cabo Wano at PH also pull this scam.

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Giordano's
    (702) 850-2420
    3619 Las Vegas Blvd S
    Las Vegas NV 89109
    In the mess that is outside Bally’s called the Grand Bazaar Shops. It’s a failure as most are empty and new vendors can negotiate 6 months free rent to sign a long term lease. This place makes crummy Chicago Deep Dish pizza. Blue Ribbon chicken is the only place worth eating at here unless you must try Walburgers.
    I'm more shocked Axel couldn't make the name and phone number out.

Giordano's
    (702) 850-2420
    3619 Las Vegas Blvd S
    Las Vegas NV 89109
    I clearly saw Giordano's Las Vegas Strip along with phone number. But I don't see the physical address. I did already know where it was though.

I clearly saw Giordano's Las Vegas Strip along with phone number. But I don't see the physical address. I did already know where it was though.
    I added it in after looking it up. Someone should call them and see if this fee is legit.

Originally Posted by alpax View Post
    I cannot upload a tiktok video clip but
    I took the picture of a video someone shared online

Name:  Screenshot_20210905-222621_LINE.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  821.3 KB
    Before I clicked on this thread, I honestly was thinking that the Covid Fee in Restaurants was for People who didn't at least have their first Vaccine. Businesses are starting to charge unvaccinated People more than People who at least have their first shot. Life is getting more expensive for the Unvaccinated besides the risk of being hospitalized with Covid-19.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zk2WAFzDcrJ7pjNB7

Take comfort in the fact that no one is actually backing up his wishes to have you permanantly banned.

Smart is knowing a Tomato is a fruit.

Wise is knowing a Tomato doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

I am glad to get my full posting rights back! Thank you Dan!

I'm not sure I agree with completely not tipping in this scenario, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to subtract this ridiculous fee from what the tip would otherwise have been. I'm sure the server doesn't have a say in charging a fee of this nature.

Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with completely not tipping in this scenario, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to subtract this ridiculous fee from what the tip would otherwise have been.
    I was thinking this as well.

Although this is sneaky and wrong, I object much more to the places that automatically add an 18% tip to parties of 8 or more (have seen 6 or more at couple times) with nothing more than a small sign as you enter. Obviously many patrons have been "duped" into double tipping.

I'm not sure I agree with completely not tipping in this scenario, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to subtract this ridiculous fee from what the tip would otherwise have been. I'm sure the server doesn't have a say in charging a fee of this nature.
    I don't understand the concept of going to a sit down restaurant with the premeditation of stiffing your server.
    When I go to the Opera or Symphony I dress appropriately to the code.
    When I go to a Sporting Event I normally dress appropriate to the situation and sometimes pay 5 dollars for a coke, 15 dollars for a beer or 9 dollars for a stupid hot dog.
    We all know the situations and customs.
    If an individual doesn't agree with said custom they should avoid the situation and seek out other venues.
    I've literally been not let into bars or night clubs because of the shoes I had on no matter how much I was going to bribe the door man.
    It won't matter pretty soon as I'm guessing they won't let us into any place without a vaccine passport and that will exclude me from all luxuries.

I don't understand the concept of going to a sit down restaurant with the premeditation of stiffing your server.
    When I go to a Sporting Event I normally dress appropriate to the situation and sometimes pay 5 dollars for a coke, 15 dollars for a beer or 9 dollars for a stupid hot dog.
    If an individual doesn't agree with said custom they should avoid the situation and seek out other venues.
    I've literally been not let into bars or night clubs because of the shoes I had on no matter how much I was going to bribe the door man.
    It won't matter pretty soon as I'm guessing they won't let us into any place without a vaccine passport and that will exclude me from all luxuries.
    I agree. I'd say my tip starts somewhere between 30-40% (depends on the rounding to the nearest $5 more than anything) and can fall to 25% and get as high as 50%, depending on the server. The server has to be pretty outstanding to get north of 40%, though.

Not that I've ever been hit with this sort of fee, but it would only be taking a little off what would typically be a very good tip anyway.

I've never quite understood, extreme independent thinkers such as yourself and a few others on these forums, that bring up the defense of " customary" we're expected to do such in such ( follow the crowd) even if it means someone getting something completely undeserved( shit service, rude, extreme entitlement etc) In such cases they often deserve a BIG FAT GOOSE EGG, yet the majority of people give in even when they know they shouldn't. The complexity of the human mind. !

Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I've never quite understood, extreme independent thinkers such as yourself and a few others on these forums, that bring up the defense of " customary" we're expected to do such in such ( follow the crowd) even if it means someone getting something completely undeserved( shit service, rude, extreme entitlement etc) In such cases they often deserve a BIG FAT GOOSE EGG, yet the majority of people give in even when they know they shouldn't. The complexity of the human mind. !
    I would think that you would have a better read on my mentality or way of thinking than this above assessment.
    Obviously, I always allow for exceptions or special circumstances.
    I've never been against stiffing.
    If you want to stiff... stiff but stop crying about the way things work.
    I've worked on both sides and it doesn't matter what you do at the end of the year the tips will break down to a certain percentage.
    And that is a good thing because most places now tax servers according to total sales no matter if they got tipped less or more.
    So if everyone stiffs these servers they will be taxed for money not even accumulated but I would imagine they have a way to get around that, possibly.

I'm against the mindset of one direction thinking.
    Compromise is a must in most situations, otherwise it is all out war on everything and everyone.
    All that being said... do what you want and what you think is best but stop trying to change the American Tipping Culture.
    I do understand the other way of thinking but it certainly is an ugly mentality.
    Reminds me of Scrooge in that scene when he wanted more bread and the server said half a penny extra sir...
    No More Bread!

Let me be clear... I believe in giving money to my fellow working man via tips or other methods.
    I have no problem with giving money directly to an individual.
    The Government, Charities and Business Machines are a different story that I despise.
    I never give to a charity, I believe in tithing directly to individuals, face to face.
    I also tend to lie, cheat and steal which is in direct violation of my traditional beliefs but I have mental problems.

Last edited by monet; 09-07-2021 at 03:01 PM.

I agree. I'd say my tip starts somewhere between 30-40% (depends on the rounding to the nearest $5 more than anything) and can fall to 25% and get as high as 50%, depending on the server. The server has to be pretty outstanding to get north of 40%, though.

Not that I've ever been hit with this sort of fee, but it would only be taking a little off what would typically be a very good tip anyway.
    Not that I haven't done this or tipped more but this seems a bit extreme.
    I realize you are in the service industry and I am sure that has something to do with your standard of 30%.
    If I get really lousy service I probably still tip 15% but I just never go back to that place or that particular server.
    However, people have bad days... life is tough... Serving Tables or Dealing Cards isn't an easy job.
    People think that a trained monkey can do it but they never had 8 four tops and just got seated a 9th table.
    Dealing Cards isn't as easy as what kewlJ makes it out to be... entry level yes but not easy to do day in and day out with proficiency.

I will say this... It is clear that it depends on what Generation the Server is from.
    Baby Boomers and Gen X are going to be good or decent service for the most part.
    Once you get into Millennial and Gen Z things could be more problematic as they love swiping their phones.
    They also seem to have this belief that they are owed everything and very dependent in general.
    I believe Baby Boomers are currently the best Generation but I love the CYNICISM and Self Reliance of Generation X... yes I fall right in the middle of Gen X.
    I'm obviously biased and believe in Realism over Idealism.
    This damn picture below is so completely accurate, that its a bit scary.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by monet; 09-07-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Why go out to dinner, pay 4 times the amount per dish and run the risk of horrible service and people spitting in your food???
    Seems odd.
    Cook at home.
    Safer.
    Cleaner.

I worked in these places before.
    Many times the food hits the floor, goes back onto your plate and eventually into your mouth.
    Enjoy!

Not to mention the expired food that they cook up and serve to you.
    Plenty of other violations to list but I'm sure you know and get the drift.
    I told this story before but I went to an Arby's Drive-Thru about 25 years ago and opened the sandwich to put some sauce on it and somebody put a bunch of pubic hair right on top of the roast beef lol.
    True Story.
    I threw everything in the trash and went about my life.
    Last edited by monet; 09-07-2021 at 03:10 PM.

Why would you start a standard tip at 30-40% of the bill, and go as high as 50%?

I'd understand it if you're a regular in some place where servers do you favors, but as a standard tip for a standard meal? You crazy.

Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Thread Information