Thread: Yaak, Montana

So I pull out of the drive thru at Krystal this morning and wind up behind an SUV with a bumper sticker on the back window, "I survived the Yaak Attack at the Dirty Shame Saloon in Yaak, Montana."

You don't see too many bumper stickers like that in Johnson City, TN, so I go home and look it up. It turns out there have been stories written that take place in that saloon, and there are news reports about a variety of things, including the newest owners ripping off the locals and all kinds of newsworthy stuff.

My questions to mickey are has he been there and what is a Yaak Attack?

https://www.hcn.org/issues/49.4/the-...ys-dirty-shame
    Last edited by redietz; 10-15-2021 at 07:17 AM.

I've never been into Yaak but I've been on the Yaak River, which flows into the Kootenai River, which flows into the Columbia River. Towns I occasionally hit up in that area are Troy and Libby. Probably not a lot of slot machines, and well off the beaten path it is just to far out of the way for me to want to drive to.

The reality show producers the writer alludes to are probably from Mountain Men on the History Channel. One of the shows cast, Tom Oar, lives on the Yaak River just out of Yaak.
    Last edited by mickeycrimm; 10-16-2021 at 01:39 AM.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

One of the secrets of Tom Oar that locals know is you can't find hide nor hair of this "rugged mountain man" in Montana in the winter. He spends the winters in Florida.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Thanks, mickey.

I did see in an ad selling the Dirty Shame Saloon (asking price about 370K) that it had some "gaming" in it, and a big selling point was it had three washing machines and four dryers in a part of the property, which were the only laundramat facilities within 50 miles, the ad claimed.

I was actually shocked that you go to a Kystal. Not sure about JCT but they are the worst of the worst in Florida, even below Checkers for quality and service. Many years ago I liked their White Castle style burgers but haven’t given them a shot since multiple bad experiences.

And as someone who loves unique dive bars, I never heard of this one. Sounds like somewhat of a tourist bar with locals going to the place across the street.

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    I was actually shocked that you go to a Kystal. Not sure about JCT but they are the worst of the worst in Florida, even below Checkers for quality and service. Many years ago I liked their White Castle style burgers but haven’t given them a shot since multiple bad experiences.

And as someone who loves unique dive bars, I never heard of this one. Sounds like somewhat of a tourist bar with locals going to the place across the street.

Clearly you're not used to the finer Tennessee dining experiences.

Krystal senior breakfast -- egg any way, grits, bacon, biscuit, and coffee for four bucks. LOL. Their coffee is actually okay. Next door, of course, is the classic Waffle House, with its jukebox. There have been a couple of shootings recently in the Tennessee Waffle Houses, so unless you have your Kevlar vest, Krystal is the preferred option. The funny thing is the intersection featuring them is next to a well respected sprawling upscale hospital and one of the nicer Hampton Inns I've seen, where I occasionally poach a USA Today to read at either Krystal or Waffle House.

Yeah, the Tennessee dining is a little different. We actually know the folks running the Krystal, so if they poison us, they know they'll hear about it.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post

Clearly you're not used to the finer Tennessee dining experiences.

Krystal senior breakfast -- egg any way, grits, bacon, biscuit, and coffee for four bucks. LOL. Their coffee is actually okay. Next door, of course, is the classic Waffle House, with its jukebox. There have been a couple of shootings recently in the Tennessee Waffle Houses, so unless you have your Kevlar vest, Krystal is the preferred option. The funny thing is the intersection featuring them is next to a well respected sprawling upscale hospital and one of the nicer Hampton Inns I've seen, where I occasionally poach a USA Today to read at either Krystal or Waffle House.

Yeah, the Tennessee dining is a little different. We actually know the folks running the Krystal, so if they poison us, they know they'll hear about it.

Waffle House isn’t any safer in Georgia apparently.

https://www.macon.com/news/state/geo...255027442.html

“ A Georgia man says an argument with a Waffle House worker over his order ended with a handgun pointed at his head.”

This 6 minute video on Tom Oar showed up in my feed this morning

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post

Google knows!

Originally Posted by jbjb View Post

Google knows!
    Yeah, those assholes. I've been looking for a tire dealer that carries the Cooper All Season T-100 225/65/r16 and now I'm getting all kinds of tire dealers in my feed. I'll probably wait until I get back to Montana because I know my local dealer carries them.

I've got 54,000 miles on my current set. I'm quite happy with that but winter is fast approaching and I don't like slip sliding around.

I was planning to stop into Yaak on my next trip up that way. So I was doing some research and found the place is "temporarily closed." I read some reviews and it looks like the locals don't frequent the place but rather the joint across the street. The Dirty Shame is tourist dependent. That's a shame because there is no traffic in the winter. They may just open for the summer now. Anyways, the reviews of the place are overall pretty bad.

I was planning to stop into Yaak on my next trip up that way. So I was doing some research and found the place is "temporarily closed." I read some reviews and it looks like the locals don't frequent the place but rather the joint across the street. The Dirty Shame is tourist dependent. That's a shame because there is no traffic in the winter. They may just open for the summer now. Anyways, the reviews of the place are overall pretty bad.
    I saw the same thing and touched on it earlier. My wife still wants to get to that mermaid bar in Great Falls. We love those type places.

Hit a dive bar outside Wasilla AK this summer called Mug Shots. All locals, beer and shot type place with no food but customers bringing stuff into share. Usually the best type places if you know how to behave, blend in and don’t act like a dick.

I saw the same thing and touched on it earlier. My wife still wants to get to that mermaid bar in Great Falls. We love those type places.

Hit a dive bar outside Wasilla AK this summer called Mug Shots. All locals, beer and shot type place with no food but customers bringing stuff into share. Usually the best type places if you know how to behave, blend in and don’t act like a dick.
    The Sip 'N Dip is a quiet bar in the O'haire Hotel in downtown Great falls. Not a rowdy bar at all. They don't allow it. There's a lady that has played piano there for like 40 years. The first time I was in the place I sat at the bar right in front of the window to the pool and didn't even notice it. The window is below water level. They usually have a girl come in nightly, dress like a mermaid, and swim around the pool for awhile. Darryl Hannah made a surprise appearance there one time.

Thread Information