Thread: Portugal labor law

New Portugal labor law makes it illegal for bosses to text/contact employees outside of working hours, subject to fines.

US could definitely do something to get employers to cut the bullshit of acting like they own their employees personal lives.

Law also says parents have a right to work from home without arranging it beforehand until a child turns eight....that one seems entirely impractical and unreasonable for many industries, would think there’s some stipulations to that. How is for example a restaurant going to be able to have work to do for eight parents working from home, they don’t need eight people to help with the books and scheduling.
    Last edited by mcap; 11-10-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Originally Posted by mcap View Post
    New Portugal labor law makes it illegal for bosses to text/contact employees outside of working hours, subject to fines.

US could definitely do something to get employers to cut the bullshit of acting like they own their employees personal lives.

Law also says parents have a right to work from home without arranging it beforehand until a child turns eight....that one seems entirely impractical and unreasonable for many industries, would think there’s some stipulations to that. How is for example a restaurant going to be able to have work to do for eight parents working from home, they don’t need eight people to help with the books and scheduling.
    A law making that illegal seems a little bit silly, but you could mandate that it be paid time for hourly employees. When I worked for the Wal-Mart Distribution Center, that's actually one thing that the company emphasized (probably because they caught so much public flak for people straight up working off the clock in years past) is that you weren't to do work-related stuff on your time. Technically, you weren't even supposed to discuss anything about work on breaks or lunch. Also, if the company called you (even if it was to call you in and whether or not you came) you were supposed to fill out an hours discrepancy form for the time that you spent on the phone---just make sure you're on the clock when you fill the form out!

At the hotel, I never went to the extent of filling out an hours discrep if I tried to call you in, or something. That said, if I had any problem with something someone did I wouldn't go pestering them about it until they were back on the clock.

Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post
    Originally Posted by mcap View Post

A law making that illegal seems a little bit silly,

Yes, perhaps silly. Sad that enough employers are unwilling to have respect for their employees personal time that it even has to be discussed.

What about family owned businesses?

They should be exempt, logically.
    What, Me Worry?

Thread Information