Well, the girlfriend killed it...again.

Unbelievable, really.

LineMasters is an annual season-long football handicapping contest with about 50 invitation only people, primarily high end horse bettors but with a smattering of heavy sports hitters. One of the bowl-game version participants has been Jay Kornegay, the Westgate sports book kingpin, who probably entered just to get a pulse of who liked what in advance. Anyway, the format each week is that you pick six games against the spread and rank them from one to six. If your top game wins, you get six points and so on down to your sixth game gets one point. You can earn 21 points a week.

My girlfriend won it in 2015, and 2017, and 2019. Pretty wild. Almost impossible. Last year, due to covid and the split college football season, they did not have the contest.

So this season, they had the contest, and she entered it again. She trailed first place by 22 points with three weeks left. Then she went 21-0, 18-3, and 16-5 the final three weeks to win with a score of 172. People did really well down the stretch, and two guys finished tied for second with 171 points.

I don't think anyone has ever done something like this sustained over time in public before. She won in 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2021, including a back-to-back. People are talking to themselves. It seems impossible.

The final week, it came down to her only NFL play of the season, the Dolphins against the Giants, for four points. That is about as nervous as I have been regarding a game in my life, because I knew if she won it, it was a real legacy win. What she has done is not going to be soon forgotten.

She has a lovely handicapping nickname. "It's not about vengeance..."