Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan vs. KJ

Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post
    Have you ever sat in a courtroom in front of a standing judge?
    Actually, yes.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsa6ojQcYXQ

Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

Blog at https://garnabby.blogspot.com/

In general terms, do you guys think that maybe, "Ambulance chasers," take more shit than they really deserve? If you have someone who is injured as a result of accident or negligence, then they probably often have a lot going on with trying to recover and will often have plenty of financial problems in the meantime.
    I think there is a place for personal injury attorneys, only because the other side, insurance companies will have attorneys fighting and doing everything in their power to avoid paying out "legitimate claims".

But like everything else it has gotten way out of hand. If you watch TV during the day, there is nothing but commercial after commercial for persona injury attoney's and it almost seems like they are suggesting people "make up cases". And I suspect that is what is occurring.

I don't know if the social security disability attorneys fall under personal injury, but it is the same with them. I feel like they are suggesting people come up for a reason to file for SS disability. In either case, I just get sick of seeing those damn commercials.

Originally Posted by Mission146
    MrV, One post you made in this thread actually piqued my curiosity...did you imply that, in Oregon, a person could serve a Civil Complaint upon someone else without actually filing it in the court and there could be a Default Judgment granted if the party served does not respond to the complaint within a particular amount of time, or did I misunderstand what you meant?
    It is permitted in some states; I do not know if Nevada allows it.

Google "Nevada civil procedure" to start your trip down that rabbit hole.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer
    VCT is California based.
    Oh, OK thanks for that.

But I still don't see California being able to exercise long-arm jurisdiction, but that's just off the cuff and not researched.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post

It is permitted in some states; I do not know if Nevada allows it.

Google "Nevada civil procedure" to start your trip down that rabbit hole.
    Specifically, I was interested in whether or not a Default Judgment could be declared on the grounds of failure to appear and defend as of the time that summons of the unfiled case is completed. Obviously, they would have to file the case (at some point) in order to actually get a Default Judgment...but I would think that would restart the clock on filing a response and wouldn't the Plaintiff have to somehow notify the Defendant(s) that the case had actually been filed now?

In general terms, do you guys think that maybe, "Ambulance chasers," take more shit than they really deserve? If you have someone who is injured as a result of accident or negligence, then they probably often have a lot going on with trying to recover and will often have plenty of financial problems in the meantime.

I don't know if any of you guys have ever filed anything in court, but there's no question that there is a place for those kind of attorneys if the injured is going to have any great chance of success. I don't even think it's a matter of not being able to prove their case, but more along the lines of not wanting to get their case tossed on some sort of procedural grounds, and also the injured party isn't really going to have much of an idea of what is or is not a reasonable settlement amount.

I represented the hotel I used to manage on a few things in small claims court and I can say that there's really a lot of procedural stuff you have to look into if you're even going to do that right. I can't speak for other states, but in the state of this hotel, any person can act as the representative for the business in small claims, but I believe there would have to be an attorney if it was of an amount to be a common pleas court case.
    Florida appears to be a hotbed of these guys with 50% of the commercials on the morning news (yea I’m old) from personal injury lawyers including many National firms with offices here. They all show claims of $750,000, $1.5M wins and other victories in bold with some people shouting how they got them the money.

However in the fine print it shows what the client actually received. On a $500,000 victory the client actually received $211,000 after attorney fees and costs. So less than 50% of the award.

We can argue the “good” these people do for “victims” but the reality is they only take the cases they feel they can win, and win big on from people that in most cases can’t afford a lawyer so they give up more than half the money. And in the end everyone of us pays for it in the form of higher insurance rates and cost of goods.

Not saying there is isn’t some people out there that got screwed over in an accident but these guys have the shitty reputation they do for a reason. And the name “ambulance chasers” didn’t come out of thin air.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer
    VCT is California based.
    Oh, OK thanks for that.

But I still don't see California being able to exercise long-arm jurisdiction, but that's just off the cuff and not researched.
    In theory, couldn't the case be filed anywhere they want to file it and it would be on the Defendant to file a Motion for Summary Judgment on the grounds that the court in which the case was filed lacks subject matter jurisdiction? Point being, you'd still have to respond, wouldn't you? Would a court decide, of its own accord, that it lacks jurisdiction if the Defendant doesn't even respond to the complaint?

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    I think there is a place for personal injury attorneys, only because the other side, insurance companies will have attorneys fighting and doing everything in their power to avoid paying out "legitimate claims".

But like everything else it has gotten way out of hand. If you watch TV during the day, there is nothing but commercial after commercial for persona injury attoney's and it almost seems like they are suggesting people "make up cases". And I suspect that is what is occurring.

I don't know if the social security disability attorneys fall under personal injury, but it is the same with them. I feel like they are suggesting people come up for a reason to file for SS disability. In either case, I just get sick of seeing those damn commercials.
    Not watching daytime TV helps a lot with that. Or, really, any TV. I don't even think I have watched an NFL game on TV, except for when I've happened to be at a restaurant during a game.

Originally Posted by coach belly
    He hasn't proposed to file and argue a lawsuit in Nevada. Here's what he offered..."I am willing to advise Alan on exactly what to file and how to do it himself, In Pro Per. "
    Oh, I relied on KJ's comment that he'd "publicly offered his legal services to Alan free of charge."

As I have blocked / ignored him for months I never saw his actual offer as contained in that post.

Thanks for clarifying that.

KJ certainly implied that there would be representation.

Whatever, without a lawyer as his mouthpiece in court there will in all likelihood be no lawsuit for defamation started and pursued by Alan.

Not that he couldn't do it, but it just doesn't pass the cost / benefit analysis.

He got what he want when his whining led to KJ getting suspended.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post

Florida appears to be a hotbed of these guys with 50% of the commercials on the morning news (yea I’m old) from personal injury lawyers including many National firms with offices here. They all show claims of $750,000, $1.5M wins and other victories in bold with some people shouting how they got them the money.

However in the fine print it shows what the client actually received. On a $500,000 victory the client actually received $211,000 after attorney fees and costs. So less than 50% of the award.

We can argue the “good” these people do for “victims” but the reality is they only take the cases they feel they can win, and win big on from people that in most cases can’t afford a lawyer so they give up more than half the money. And in the end everyone of us pays for it in the form of higher insurance rates and cost of goods.

Not saying there is isn’t some people out there that got screwed over in an accident but these guys have the shitty reputation they do for a reason. And the name “ambulance chasers” didn’t come out of thin air.
    The whole thing is really just a microcosm of how fucked the overall system is, but even with that, there's not really a better system that I could propose. It seems like all of it is just a necessary evil no matter how you look at it. The good news for the clients is, if the attorneys are taking the cases on a contingency fee basis, that they don't actually have to pay anything if they were to somehow lose the case.

I'm not sure what percentage a Florida attorney can charge in contingency fees. I think 33% is common and there's one law firm in this area that makes a big production out of being, "Only 25%," and they claim that some other law firms charge 40%. The fact that they only charge 25% does make me wonder how aggressive they are in trying to get the clients a strong settlement, though...which is to say that I have an unfounded theory that they might just resolve the cases (or encourage the client to settle) as quickly as possible and on to the next, but I don't know.

(to Mr Dan Druff: Since Mr [name redacted] has injected himself and speaking and acting in his legal capacity, he has forfeited any right to anonymity
    This is another lie made up by tewlj, nobody has spoken or acted in their legal capacity on behalf of Alan.

Maybe the court lacking subject matter jurisdiction would be a Motion to Dismiss, as opposed to Summary Judgment...I'm not sure which motion that would be. MrV, where did you go?

Specifically, I was interested in whether or not a Default Judgment could be declared on the grounds of failure to appear and defend as of the time that summons of the unfiled case is completed.
    If you are in a state that allows service of an unfiled summons and complaint, you serve the papers and if there is no response within the limit allowed you then prepare a declaration of service showing service and final papers including judgment for a judge to sign; yeah, at that time you need to pay the filing fee.
    What, Me Worry?

I relied on KJ's comment that he'd "publicly offered his legal services to Alan free of charge."
    KJ certainly implied that there would be representation.
    tewlj is mentally ill, and incapable of posting honestly.

He's a lying piece of shit.

Nothing he writes should be believed as truthful.

Wise up.

Seems he doesn’t get many replies to his thread anymore so he keeps upping his claims begging for a reaction. Recently he claims to be up around $125k in his last 10 days of playing but then came off with a gem about why he always wins.

Something about he “knows things others can’t see” and “always winning his big hands”. His usual mumbo jumbo he seemed to move on from about being able to read the cards and such is back.

Shows he is either stupid about gambling, which I don’t believe he is, or this entire thing has been a troll game all along trying to get a rise out of people looking for a response. Trying to move on from the “about even” fiasco of a few months ago.
    Boz, the upping claims to get a reaction is called "escalating" and he has been doing it since day 1. It is one of the telltale signs of someone making phony claims or that has a phony story. They HAVE to escalate to get the reaction they desire. Kind of like a drug addict. Take Rob for example: When it got to the point that no one believed or even cared about his Singer System claims, he "escalated" to the double up bug claim. If you go back through the years of the related claim of the Newell, you will see the price of the Newell escalated over time as well.

Now compare that to myself, or mickeycrimm, or any other real player that shares any kind of claim or numbers. You go back and their claims from years ago are exactly the same years later when they repeat them. I tell you what little amount I made in my early years and it hasn't changed right down to the dollar. I tell you what I have averaged in my 12 years in Las Vegas and although there are good and bad years along the way, the average has amazingly remained consistent.

Anyone can find a reason to not like someone and subsequently not believe them, especially if you get into personal stuff. And I have played on that with some of these haters. But if anyone tunes all that out and just focus on the gambling claims and discussions, it is like I always say. Not hard to figure out who is who.

The "about even" fiasco was Mdawg's pictures in the Newell moment. That is the point any lingering credibility is gone. I take credit for that because once I revealed that I had his actual gambling results he had to do something to make them match his current claims fearing I would show them. So 7 months of over a half million dollars in winnings magically disappeared with the "about even" comment. At that point he is Rob Singer and nothing he say matters ever again except to those few that celebrate the act of the troll.

Specifically, I was interested in whether or not a Default Judgment could be declared on the grounds of failure to appear and defend as of the time that summons of the unfiled case is completed.
    If you are in a state that allows service of an unfiled summons and complaint, you serve the papers and if there is no response within the limit allowed you then prepare a declaration of service showing service and final papers including judgment for a judge to sign; yeah, at that time you need to pay the filing fee.
    So, essentially, just threatening to file a case is enough to compel the would-be defendant to have to respond? That is a stupid rule, in my opinion.

Maybe the court lacking subject matter jurisdiction would be a Motion to Dismiss, as opposed to Summary Judgment...I'm not sure which motion that would be.
    I'd file a motion to dismiss in the scenario you posited.

Lack of jurisdiction means the chosen court lacks the legal power and ability to hear the case and render an enforceable judgment.
    What, Me Worry?

So, essentially, just threatening to file a case is enough to compel the would-be defendant to have to respond? That is a stupid rule, in my opinion.
    It's more than a threat.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by coach belly View Post
    (to Mr Dan Druff: Since Mr [name redacted] has injected himself and speaking and acting in his legal capacity, he has forfeited any right to anonymity
    This is another lie made up by tewlj, nobody has spoken or acted in their legal capacity on behalf of Alan.
    That is a good question for V or anyone else that better understands the legal process.

MDawg offered to advise Alan if Alan was filing himself. What, if any, legal responsibility could or does a lawyer have when they offer free advice? Is it like a doctor offering medical help to the sick guy next to him at the bar? Is giving free advice a potential liability not worth the hassle?

Honestly I have no clue but it doesn’t seem smart for any professional to offer free help to anyone they don’t know. I believe MDawg is smart enough as a lawyer to not get involved in something like that. But as someone who seems to have a hard on (not literally) for KJ making him look like an ass at times it makes sense.

I don't know if any of you guys have ever filed anything in court, but there's no question that there is a place for those kind of attorneys if the injured is going to have any great chance of success. I don't even think it's a matter of not being able to prove their case, but more along the lines of not wanting to get their case tossed on some sort of procedural grounds, and also the injured party isn't really going to have much of an idea of what is or is not a reasonable settlement amount.

I represented the hotel I used to manage on a few things in small claims court and I can say that there's really a lot of procedural stuff you have to look into if you're even going to do that right. I can't speak for other states, but in the state of this hotel, any person can act as the representative for the business in small claims, but I believe there would have to be an attorney if it was of an amount to be a common pleas court case.

These lawyers need all that money for tv ad time. I estimate that nearly 70% of all tv commercials I see are ambulance chasing lawyers.

Thread Information