Thread: Hey, Boz...

Boz,

I agree with your PFA NASCAR thread in that what NASCAR is doing is not likely to appeal to their market. I think what they should do instead is have the #60 car (and number a car that if they don't have one) be sponsored by the KKK---and that will be sure to massively appeal to the fanbase!

Look, a NASCAR race...RIP
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm just messing with you, by the way. I do see your point in the PFA thread. The rainbow NASCAR logo is probably going to be a bridge too far for a lot of them because the only time homosexuality is acceptable to NASCAR fans is if they somehow get the opportunity to suck off Donald Trump.

Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post
    I'm just messing with you, by the way. I do see your point in the PFA thread. The rainbow NASCAR logo is probably going to be a bridge too far for a lot of them because the only time homosexuality is acceptable to NASCAR fans is if they somehow get the opportunity to suck off Donald Trump.
    Ha! Just saw this. Dan had a good reply if you didn’t see it on giving in to the mob.

My point is it makes little sense to continue to offend the customer base they have left. They tried going National and mainstream and other than a few years in the early 2000’s when they were a novelty, it failed. In recent years they moved more races back to their traditional markets as nationwide ratings and attendance fell. But they are still huge in certain southern markets.

Link to ratings since 2000

https://www.jayski.com/nascar-tv-ratings/

Now we can debate if it’s wrong to market to a fan base that in some minds is racist and bigoted. But the fact that is what they are left with. A simple look at comments from fans on stories like the recent LBG whatever story shows it’s not popular. And you can debate those commenting are a vocal minority.

They are in a tough spot trying to find a path forward as a business model. They are coming out with a new car this year that is supposed to reduce costs for teams because the dollars from sponsorship just aren’t there anymore.

I definitely agree with your point, 100%. I also don't think that they have to go out of their way to promote any kind of message, one way or another, just don't slap their fanbase across the face with woke stuff. If I was NASCAR, what I would probably do is try to get Chik-Fil-A as an official sponsor because that kind of aligns with where most of my fans are at without outwardly doing anything untowardly.

I don't think it's, 'Wrong,' to appeal to that fanbase because that's always been their fanbase and you have to play to your market. I think, "Get woke, go broke," came about for a reason, because in the minds of the people who say it, it's true. It's probably true in most cases, other mass media, Youtube and tech aside.

Probably the best thing they can do as a business is just accept the inevitable and enjoy what profitability they have left for as long as it lasts. They've probably got a decent decade, or more, left...but televised driving in circles isn't going to appeal to the younger and more tech-savvy market no matter what you do. In 100 years, I think it's possible that NFL will be kind of a fringe sport appealing to just pockets of fans, assuming it still exists at all.

I question how much longer NASCAR will be a viable business model.

Heck, that goes for racing in general.

Formula one, Indy car, sports car, drag racing: the numbers are way down.

We have a lot more entertainment options now, mostly on our i-phones / computers.
    What, Me Worry?

Thread Information