Thread: no more residential "white pages"

My phone bill from Verizon came today, and this time I actually looked at the "inserts" that come along with that slip of paper that says "pay this."

The slip of paper came with a heading that said "Need-To-Know Information." So, if they say I need to know, I'd better read it.

Well, here's what it said: "Beginning in 2011, most Verizon directories will not include residence White Pages listings." It went on to say that I could find the traditional white pages in the not-so-traditional Verizon website where they now have the white pages.

Hmmm. There's still a "yellow pages" but that's because advertisers pay to be in it. And I guess there will still be a white pages for businesses.

Frankly, Verizon is a day late and a dollar short. Or, to be more accurate, Verizon is about five years late and a few forests short. I haven't opened a phone book in so many years I can't remember when. And that includes yellow pages directories. Here in my townhouse neighborhood, when the yellow pages are delivered they are piled up by the mail boxes and they stay there until building management has them tossed into the garbage or recycling bins.

If all of the phone companies phase out their White Pages for residential listings, most Americans will never see their name in print. Steve Martin will have to make a new movie, too.

Thread Information