Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Low level of Lake Mead has caused a 1980s body in a barrel to appear

  1. #1
    I already started a thread a few days ago about Lake Mead being at historically low levels: https://vegascasinotalk.com/forum/sh...is-now-visible

    People were wondering if this might unearth some bodies. Indeed it has.

    A skeleton in a barrel was found. While the person's identity is unknown, there were personal items in the barrel which make it likely the victim was killed in the 1980s.

    As soon as I heard a body was found in a barrel, I envisioned a 1980s mob hit (before I read it actually was from the '80s), and I'm guessing I'm correct.

    The mob's last stand in Vegas was in the 1980s. They were pushed out by the corporate takeover of the strip in the early 1990s. The movie "Casino" depicted mob life in Vegas between 1975 and 1986. As a teenager visiting Vegas in the 1980s, I still felt the mob presence, and then I noticed the different feel of the town in the mid-1990s when they were gone.

    It will surprise me if any bodies found in the lake date to murders after 1992.

    Here's a Reuters article about it: https://canoe.com/news/crime/body-in...2-1d920e686509


    If you want to see the actual skeleton, which was described as "graphic" but actually isn't, go to the NY Post article: https://nypost.com/2022/05/02/body-f...d-authorities/


    I'm guessing the victim was not dropped into the lake alive. He/she was likely already dead, and the barrel was probably the means of hiding it in the lake, which the mob (correctly) theorized would not be discovered any time soon.

    There is a chance that this was not a mob hit, and was an unrelated murder, but given the 1980s timeframe, I'd say it was probably the mafia.

    Will this be a new exhibit at the Mob Museum?
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  2. #2
    Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I already started a thread a few days ago about Lake Mead being at historically low levels: https://vegascasinotalk.com/forum/sh...is-now-visible

    People were wondering if this might unearth some bodies. Indeed it has.

    A skeleton in a barrel was found. While the person's identity is unknown, there were personal items in the barrel which make it likely the victim was killed in the 1980s.

    As soon as I heard a body was found in a barrel, I envisioned a 1980s mob hit (before I read it actually was from the '80s), and I'm guessing I'm correct.

    The mob's last stand in Vegas was in the 1980s. They were pushed out by the corporate takeover of the strip in the early 1990s. The movie "Casino" depicted mob life in Vegas between 1975 and 1986. As a teenager visiting Vegas in the 1980s, I still felt the mob presence, and then I noticed the different feel of the town in the mid-1990s when they were gone.

    It will surprise me if any bodies found in the lake date to murders after 1992.

    Here's a Reuters article about it: https://canoe.com/news/crime/body-in...2-1d920e686509


    If you want to see the actual skeleton, which was described as "graphic" but actually isn't, go to the NY Post article: https://nypost.com/2022/05/02/body-f...d-authorities/


    I'm guessing the victim was not dropped into the lake alive. He/she was likely already dead, and the barrel was probably the means of hiding it in the lake, which the mob (correctly) theorized would not be discovered any time soon.

    There is a chance that this was not a mob hit, and was an unrelated murder, but given the 1980s timeframe, I'd say it was probably the mafia.

    Will this be a new exhibit at the Mob Museum?
    The DNA check should be interesting.

    80% casino/mafia related.
    15% random (ex-wife, ex-husband)
    5% Hoffa
    Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

  3. #3
    Druff already patted himself on the back twice for something that hasn’t been determined yet.

  4. #4
    It's going to be an interesting story to follow. They may even have to go to genealogical DNA data to identify the body. Once identified it should be an interesting story about the victim.
    Maxpen.Is.The.Forum.Bitch

  5. #5
    Probably some guy who got caught using a stop-win system by the casinos.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by smurgerburger View Post
    Probably some guy who got caught using a stop-win system by the casinos.
    Smurgerburger hits it out of the park - nice one sir.

  7. #7
    Dan was pretty accurate...

    https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...-shot-84473748

    He was shot and wearing 1980's shoes.
    Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

  8. #8
    Wearing K-mart shoes, somebody got backroomed plus...
    Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

  9. #9
    I wonder what would happen if the mob still ran Vegas today and they caught you checking an Ocean Magic

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post
    I wonder what would happen if the mob still ran Vegas today and they caught you checking an Ocean Magic
    Lots of the casino owners today make the mob look like amateurs.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post
    I wonder what would happen if the mob still ran Vegas today and they caught you checking an Ocean Magic
    Lots of the casino owners today make the mob look like amateurs.
    Owners perhaps but fortunately not staff.

    Iíve never seen anyone get their hand smashed with a hammer or their nuts crushed in a vice for checking a Scarab.
    The secret to success is quitting while youíre ahead or quitting while youíre behind, especially at some arbitrary preselected number.

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    Lots of the casino owners today make the mob look like amateurs.
    Bad Mouth!
    Don't talk like that.
    You are scaring the shit out of me!
    Seriously.
    Scariest post I ever seen on these boards in my 5 some odd years of posting.

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post
    I wonder what would happen if the mob still ran Vegas today and they caught you checking an Ocean Magic
    Lots of the casino owners today make the mob look like amateurs.
    maxpunk makes other dicksuckers look like amateurs.
    Maxpen.Is.The.Forum.Bitch

  14. #14
    I think the consensus is that this was either not a mob hit or a very sloppy mob hit.

    Regardless of what you see on TV, a proper dumping of a body would not leave someone clothed or wearing a belt or anything that would serve as an identifier or even a clue as to the date.

  15. #15
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    3,813
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I think the consensus is that this was either not a mob hit or a very sloppy mob hit. Regardless of what you see on TV, a proper dumping of a body would not leave someone clothed or wearing a belt or anything that would serve as an identifier or even a clue as to the date.
    Hmmmm...you seem to know a suspiciously large amount about the subject of mob hits; are you connected?
    What, Me Worry?

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I think the consensus is that this was either not a mob hit or a very sloppy mob hit.

    Regardless of what you see on TV, a proper dumping of a body would not leave someone clothed or wearing a belt or anything that would serve as an identifier or even a clue as to the date.
    The Lefty - Spilatro Era was sloppy at the end.
    Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I think the consensus is that this was either not a mob hit or a very sloppy mob hit.

    Regardless of what you see on TV, a proper dumping of a body would not leave someone clothed or wearing a belt or anything that would serve as an identifier or even a clue as to the date.
    Did your account get hacked?
    You have been posting nothing but useful information for the last couple of weeks.
    Impressive.
    Keep up the good work as I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I think the consensus is that this was either not a mob hit or a very sloppy mob hit. Regardless of what you see on TV, a proper dumping of a body would not leave someone clothed or wearing a belt or anything that would serve as an identifier or even a clue as to the date.
    Hmmmm...you seem to know a suspiciously large amount about the subject of mob hits; are you connected?
    It's obvious you don't remember or you don't read.
    He stated long ago that you don't call them the mob.
    There is no mob.
    They are street guys.

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by jpfromla View Post
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I think the consensus is that this was either not a mob hit or a very sloppy mob hit.

    Regardless of what you see on TV, a proper dumping of a body would not leave someone clothed or wearing a belt or anything that would serve as an identifier or even a clue as to the date.
    The Lefty - Spilatro Era was sloppy at the end.
    Alan probably knows as much or more than me.

    I was in Las Vegas when Rosenthal's car was bombed, by the way. I guess one could make a case for some slop at the end.

    I talked to a couple of people about it, and this kind of burial really breaks some basic rules. I have a friend, a young filmmaker who specializes in knowing everything there is to know about La Cosa films. But he is more of an East Coast guy. I'll quiz him when I get a chance. I think he's in Boston right now, working on the The Art Thief, which I assume is an adaptation of the book.
    Last edited by redietz; 05-04-2022 at 12:20 PM.

  20. #20
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I think the consensus is that this was either not a mob hit or a very sloppy mob hit. Regardless of what you see on TV, a proper dumping of a body would not leave someone clothed or wearing a belt or anything that would serve as an identifier or even a clue as to the date.
    Hmmmm...you seem to know a suspiciously large amount about the subject of mob hits; are you connected?
    It's obvious you don't remember or you don't read.
    He stated long ago that you don't call them the mob.
    There is no mob.
    They are street guys.
    Yeah, calling them "the mob" is an insult. I'm going to try to edit the post where I used that word or at least put it in quotes. Thanks, monet. That slipped by me.

    Nope, couldn't edit it. That was bad. My apologies.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Lake Mead so low that intake pump is now visible
    By Dan Druff in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-01-2022, 12:01 AM
  2. Lake Mead Current Conditions
    By monet in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-12-2021, 08:11 PM
  3. Harvey's Lake Tahoe: Exit on Grown Level
    By Dan Druff in forum California/Western US Casinos
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2018, 04:39 PM
  4. Hoe Did The Oscars Get To Such A LOW Level?
    By Rob.Singer in forum Movies, Media, and Television
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 07:05 PM
  5. Remember the air fare wars of the 1980s?
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Whatever's On Your Mind
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2013, 01:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •