Originally Posted by monet View Post
Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
The number of times that Rotten Tomatoes has diverged from my tastes cannot be counted because the number is just too large (you're in the same boat probably). It's downloading now and I am going to watch it on my laptop:
I just watch a lot of movies.
All different types.
I don't really go by reviews or critics.
This movie is too slow for most people and you have to actually think a little bit.
The first time I watched it I thought it was a good ride.
This guy was in Hitchhiker and I like Danny Devito.
Penelope Cruz is Hot.
Simon is somewhat funny.
You find yourself really hating Paltrow's character.
I dunno... you watch it and let us know what you think.
I thought the movie was good. A lot of twists and turns at the very end. You probably noticed that the dark humor in this film was quite similar to the humor instruments (funny ending-phrase change-of-gear interview quips) used in This is Spinal Tap. Nigel (at the time that movie was filmed in '84) from This is Spinal Tap actually looked quite a bit like Gary (at the time The Good Night was filmed) and they were both in the music biz and both were Englishman.
So I think that The Good Night had some influence from This is Spinal Tap. Devito's eclectic gigs (hors d'oeuvre server,dream guru and public works worker) were quite funny and the line where he told the Kendo instructor he still had two minutes to use the room for his lucid dream class was great.
Films are like restaurants - you just have to try them for yourself to know if you like them. Maybe I should focus on watching poorly-reviewed Rotten Tomatoes movies as a way to find the best movies to watch ;-)