Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious warning about big money talk

This is a serious warning. In the last 24 hours I've talked to four families, all on the East Coast, with sons in the 25 to 35 age group who have been betting serious money on online sports accounts. They frequent Twitter.

The families have all received death threats. Police are involved.

Bookies are claiming their sons owe five and six figure amounts.

Calls and texts are being made with burner phones. Even burner phones aren't cheap so someone is investing time and money.

The kids claim they are not in debt and till now were living the high life, buying NFTs and even new cars.

Be careful what you post online. Dont risk talking about the thousands you carry or the big bets you make.

It doesnt take much to figure out who you are, where you'll be, or how to hit you.

This East Coast case I'm sure is not isolated to these four families.

Think.

Better yet don't post. No good will come of it. You're not impressing anyone but the scammers and the thugs.

Maybe you should warn Rob's daughter that her dad is making her house susceptible to burglary........lol

Some criminals are dumb enough to believe that prop cash is real.
    FraudJ's word is worth less than the prop cash in Singer's safe...RIP

Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    Maybe you should warn Rob's daughter that her dad is making her house susceptible to burglary........lol

Interesting angle. Hit up some youthful big bettors and try to wrangle money out of them based on what? The kids don't want their parents to know? The kids will be intimidated and just pay out of fear?

I guess it's one of those low risk, high reward scams. It doesn't cost much to make a few death threats, and if the stakes are high enough, maybe kill one person to prove they are bad men. I assume most of these youths are trust fund babies or some such -- in other words, their families have money.

I think the absurdity of this is pretty clear. If an offshore sports book wants to rip you off, they'll just keep your money and never pay you. So these are just people who see opportunity by attaching names to accounts. I mean, this is really no different than somebody making a list of people driving a car worth more than 100K. You can track down the license number, attach a name, and make death threats if you want. It's all about pinning down who has some recreational cash. If you do it on a large enough scale, eventually some doofuses pay you.

How did you happen to learn about this, Alan?

I see nothing in the news.

Also has it been established whether or not they are in debt to bookies?

I ask because you claim they deny it.
    What, Me Worry?

Alan -

How do you know these 4 families that all happen to have some huge bettor?

What is the commonality here? (How do you know them?)

How would they ever find out who the average poster on here is? (What tricks do you think they'd employ?)

I mean.. if you happen to know 4 families in 24 hours then how many total do you suspect have had this done to them?

You either know half the east coast or they're doing this to 1000s of people. Which do you think is more likely?

Is this all from the same service or bookie?

Is the burner phone # being reused to all the calls to these families?
    Last edited by accountinquestion; 06-10-2022 at 09:25 AM.
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

Only to Alan would $20 phones with free minutes be considered expensive. Hell TracPhone is known as the go to company for burner phones. Huge investment to buy 10 of these, obviously these guys are well financed.

Name:  B3AD9D96-E535-42B4-850C-72E7CAFBA98A.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  34.2 KB

Well, there's all kinds of questions here. To claim that someone owes you money via offshore losses, it means the bookmaker would have to be offering upfront credit -- you know, pay after you lose. Well, the established offshore sports books are generally not going to do that. You play what you have deposited. So how can people wind up "owing" an offshore book significant money?

So maybe these are offshore books runs by Eastern Europeans with too much time on their hands, and they offer credit up front? I have never had accounts with these kinds of offshores.

The entrepreneurial angles are fascinating. You could have people who worked at one offshore doing this on the side with the client lists. You could have people who simply left various offshores with client lists. You could have people forming partnerships and opening offshores for the express purpose of pulling this off. You could have people opening forums for the express purpose of getting posters to discuss high stakes gambling and then doing this. The possibilities are endless.

Really, not very different from getting a list of 100K car owners or MDawg clones or folks with 200K in Bitcoin. If you're sitting in Serbia with a list, why not just threaten everybody and demand 50K or something? There's zero risk to you, and every once in awhile, somebody might send you some cash.

Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    How did you happen to learn about this, Alan?

I see nothing in the news.

Also has it been established whether or not they are in debt to bookies?

I ask because you claim they deny it.
    As I said, I talked with the families. It started with one family last night and then I talked with the others.

A similar scam was busted about a year ago.

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Only to Alan would $20 phones with free minutes be considered expensive. Hell TracPhone is known as the go to company for burner phones. Huge investment to buy 10 of these, obviously these guys are well financed.

Drug dealers love these things.

And number 2, the claim they were living the high life through sports betting is BS. If there is any truth to this story, which I doubt, there is a very good possibility they were fucking someone over.

As RED and everyone else should agree, very few are making money sports betting over time and if they did hit on a good run, wasting it on scam NFT’s and new cars shows how stupid they are. I’m definitely doubting that they were cleaning off shore books out.

Naturally a story like this would attract Alan, he always gets excited when he hears stories of people living the high life through gambling.

Again IF there is any truth to this story, Alan doesn’t know the half of it and there is a lot more going on here. But wouldn’t I be shocked if some stupid kids thought they were smart and could get away with fucking some street books over, they have a hard life lesson coming.

And number 2, the claim they were living the high life through sports betting is BS. If there is any truth to this story, which I doubt, there is a very good possibility they were fucking someone over.

As RED and everyone else should agree, very few are making money sports betting over time and if they did hit on a good run, wasting it on scam NFT’s and new cars shows how stupid they are. I’m definitely doubting that they were cleaning off shore books out.

Naturally a story like this would attract Alan, he always gets excited when he hears stories of people living the high life through gambling.

Again IF there is any truth to this story, Alan doesn’t know the half of it and there is a lot more going on here. But wouldn’t I be shocked if some stupid kids thought they were smart and could get away with fucking some street books over, they have a hard life lesson coming.

Yeah, previous to pure algorithms as numbers generators, back when Bob Martin and his successors made the numbers, my best guess is that fewer than 200 people or teams of people in the U.S. won long term at sports betting. Now that numbers are generated by junk algorithms and the books depend on people betting large numbers of plays and low limits to protect them, I must admit that there is more of a chance for "AP" type play, but still, if the period of time we're talking about was more than 24 months or so, the youngsters were unlikely to have made a lot of money.

I need to catch up on this story, I guess. Were the kids claiming to have done serious sports betting damage? That sets off multiple alarm bells, of course. Everybody claims to be APing sports. Yeah, sure.

Look up how many people have been banned from sports betting in various Las Vegas sports books. That'll tell you something.

From my version of Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler."

"A football isn't round.
    It takes some funny bounces.
    No one can predict fumbles,
    Flags, or injuries.
    So don't go and bet your life
    On any single game, boy,
    Or you'll find that there are worse things
    Than total bankruptcy."

The Boz is correct. I dont know the half of it. I dont know what these young men did except they told their parents their group on Twitter just won won won and they lived well above their jobs as 25-35 year olds.

And then the PARENTS got the text messages saying their kids owed money and the parents had to pay up.

I never spoke to the kids. But the parents pleased with them to tell the truth and the kids said they didnt owe anyone anything.

Now there are four sets of parents scared stiff.

This story initially seems to have more holes in it than a loaf of Swiss cheese, but it is worth pursuing, if for the novelty if nothing else.

So Alan, you say it started with one family: how did YOU first learn about it and know to contact them?

How did you learn about and learn how to contact the other three?

What did the alleged "bookies" say, specifically, in their threats?

The notion that strangers would threaten strangers over vapid posts on Twitter is ... well, I'd call it "silly" but I'll stop short and await clarification: it IS a wicked world, after all.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by jbjb View Post

Drug dealers love these things.
    Terrorists love them too.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

I'm from New York. They contacted me. The parents are my age.

I do have friends from back east.

The parents got text messages from burner phones. Obviously the kids hung out with each other.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    I'm from New York. They contacted me. The parents are my age. I do have friends from back east. The parents got text messages from burner phones. Obviously the kids hung out with each other.
    Thank you and please advise of any developments.

Were you forwarded copies of the texts, and if so would you post them here?

If you have no copies, what exactly did the extortionists say in the texts, i.e. was it claimed the kids owed them for unpaid gambling debts or is it just a stupid shakedown attempt?
    What, Me Worry?

Oh they're from New York. That explains why they called Alan. You know how it is in New York, everyone knows everyone, including people that haven't lived there for decades. It's all one big family really.

Come on over to my house.
    I have beer, pop, coffee, tea and juice.
    We can grill some steaks.
    Watch some TV.
    Play some darts.
    Read the bible and discuss life.
    Don't worry about knocking because the door is always open.

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    I'm from New York. They contacted me. The parents are my age. I do have friends from back east. The parents got text messages from burner phones. Obviously the kids hung out with each other.
    Thank you and please advise of any developments.

Were you forwarded copies of the texts, and if so would you post them here?

If you have no copies, what exactly did the extortionists say in the texts, i.e. was it claimed the kids owed them for unpaid gambling debts or is it just a stupid shakedown attempt?
    I was asked not to post the actual texts but I said it my first post it's a shakedown attempt and may be a copycat of of a shakedown last year in which there was an arrest.

I grew up with one of the Dads.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Come on over to my house.
    I have beer, pop, coffee, tea and juice.
    We can grill some steaks.
    Watch some TV.
    Play some darts.
    Read the bible and discuss life.
    Don't worry about knocking because the door is always open.

My door is always open, also, monet. LOL. Since my house was ransacked about six years ago while I was in California, I figure it saves on locksmiths.

If the kids were claiming they won and won and won, I'm with Boz on this. Smells like the youngsters are bullshitting through their teeth. Would be helpful to have a sense of the timeframe during which they allegedly won. I'm prone to think they got themselves in a real jam, in which case their best avenue is to come clean and pay the people they owe.

Thread Information