Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
What are you talking about? Of course I hold the correct cards based on "optimum strategy" but that doesn't mean I am going to win! The other element is luck.

I play the right cards when I play live poker too, but its luck that determines whether or not MY "right cards" will win.

In video poker you could be dealt As Qh 2c 3c 10c in Bonus Poker. The "correct play" is to hold AQ. Well the RNG decides to give you two clubs on the draw. Happens all the time.

In live poker you are dealt AK hearts. You bet big. You get four callers. The flop comes three spades. You played correct and luck beat you.
In live poker you are dealt two black aces. You bet very big. You get three callers. The flop comes three diamonds, all low cards. You played correct and luck beat you.

The original question stands: how much of video poker is skill and how much is luck? No one said you shouldn't hold the "right" cards.
Well, based on your logic I guess all the pro baseball teams should just hire a few college kids and save on the big salaries. After all, it's all luck.