Thread: Las Vegas Review Journal reporter Jeff German was murdered, and a county employee he investigated might be the suspect

Las Vegas Review Journal investigative reporter Jeff German was fearless. For decades, he covered Vegas organized crime stories, and also tackled city/county corruption, without concern of what might happen to him if he exposed dangerous/vindictive people.

German was very well respected in Vegas, and had moved over in 2010 to the Review Journal after over 20 years at the rival Las Vegas Sun. German had been covering the happenings in Las Vegas since the late 1980s.

That's why everyone was shocked when German was murdered in front of his home on Saturday, at the age of 69. He was stabbed to death, and immediately questions arose whether this was revenge regarding a story, personal, or just a random murder.

The first piece of info released was a weird photo of the apparent perpetrator. The man clearly was taking steps to cover his head and not be recognized, which made it more likely this was a targeted murder, rather than some kind of random street crime.

Initially police claimed the murder took place after the perpetrator was "casing the area to commit other crime", thus implying that it WAS just a wrong place/wrong time situation for German. However, now it's looking less likely.

Today Las Vegas Metro Police served a search warrant on Robert Telles, an attorney who runs the Clark County Public Administrator's office, but who lost the primary in a 2022 reelection bid. It is believed that Telles blames German for his loss, after accusing German of "fabricating a scandal" regarding an alleged inappropriate relationship Telles had with a female underling, as well as an alleged toxic environment in that office.

Here's some articles about it:

NPR Article: https://www.npr.org/2022/09/07/11216...on-jeff-german

Timeline from 8NewsNow: https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-...r-jeff-german/

Most notably, a vehicle matching the description of the suspect vehicle in the homicide was found and towed from the driveway of Telles' home:

https://twitter.com/#!/x/status/1567603033273671680

Telles was accused by co-workers of having an inappropriate relationship with an underling named Roberta Lee-Kennett. This relationship was then alleged to have allowed Lee-Kennett to abuse others in the office without consequence. A secret video was taken of Telles and Lee-Kennett going to a separate building and sitting in the back of Telles' car, possibly making out, on two different occasions. Telles is married. Both he and Roberta Lee-Kennett are 45 years old. German released his article with a video of the back seat trysts in May, and Telles subsequently lost the primary in June.

The Public Administrator's office is in charge of tracking down and distributing assets of deceased people who do not have a will. These offices often lack oversight and sometimes are corrupt or dysfunctional. About 9 years ago, I dealt with the Los Angeles County version of this office, and ran into incredible corruption. I was helping out a family friend who wasn't equipped to deal with the whole thing, and was shocked what I found. It doesn't surprise me that the Clark County office also has issues.

Developing...
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Does Telles' body size / mass approximate that of the suspect in the photo?
    What, Me Worry?

Robert Telles has been arrested for suspicion of murder. Wow.

https://twitter.com/#!/x/status/1567693088633790465

He was in a hazmat suit (???) when he came home earlier today.

https://twitter.com/#!/x/status/1567626634081218565

He wouldn't answer the door for police when they knocked shortly after the above was filmed.

https://twitter.com/#!/x/status/1567653453241135104
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

This guy Telles is a lawyer so it’s not shocking. Most lawyers are clinical psychopaths. Just ask V

Lots of innocent people walk around in hazmat suits during the heat wave. I see it every day.

Originally Posted by smurgerburger View Post
    Lots of innocent people walk around in hazmat suits during the heat wave. I see it every day.
    Love the sarcasm! Not even during Covid are people walking around with Hazmat suits!
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zk2WAFzDcrJ7pjNB7

Take comfort in the fact that no one is actually backing up his wishes to have you permanantly banned.

Smart is knowing a Tomato is a fruit.

Wise is knowing a Tomato doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

I am glad to get my full posting rights back! Thank you Dan!

I see that when the authorities removed Telles from his home he was on a stretcher: why?

Did he try to hurt himself?

Possible heart attack?
    What, Me Worry?

The Queen is Dead.
    Long Live The Queen!!

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    I see that when the authorities removed Telles from his home he was on a stretcher: why?

Did he try to hurt himself?

Possible heart attack?
    The news report is he had wounds to his body. Apparently tried to kill himself.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

The murder is not getting much attention in the national media. That's because Telles is a democrat. Had a republican killed a reporter it would be getting as much attention in the national media today as Queen Elizabeth's death.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Here's a statement he made on his website in June, before the election:

Honestly I think the guy legit was getting fucked in some ways. Sounds like the office was corrupt (like the Public Administrator's office I dealt with in 2013 in LA), and he tried to clean it up. He probably had poor people management skills and this plus the corruption cleanup angered people. Then he got that affair going, and they had to perfect ammo to get rid of him.

I'm not saying I feel bad for the guy. Clearly he's a murderous psycho and was probably awful to work for. However, I do kinda cringe when I keep reading about the "toxic office environment" and the poor victims who were just trying to do their jobs, when in reality it looks like they were fucking the people of Clark County by intentionally slow-working these estate situations and running up unjustified overtime.

I don't think Jeff German was in on any conspiracy to screw him, though. He was just reporting on the legit situation going on regarding the office drama and the affair, and Telles took it personally. Even if you've just cleaned up some corruption in your government office, if you start banging an underling, you can't cry foul when the word gets out and you're voted out of office, even if people were trying to get rid of you out of spite. Bottom line is that these consequences were his fault, though I have little sympathy for the corrupt employees who were bitter about the dude cracking the whip on them.

That place must have been a real pressure cooker toward the end: talk about walking on eggshells.

County employees typically involve themselves to various degrees in local politics, and having a co-worker oppose you for re-election is not unusual but must have created a horrible work environment.

Torres by report was an estate attorney before taking office: generally those guys are not "type A" personalities; he could have been the exception of course but I suspect he killed German having "cracked" under the pressure.

No excusing his conduct, but as always there is an explanation.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Sounds like the office was corrupt (like the Public Administrator's office I dealt with in 2013 in LA)
    You and other VCTers probably remember this classic where some of the perps actually got in some trouble (versus the thousands of times where it goes on undetected and the employees retire on big pensions and live comfortable lives until their passing):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Bell_scandal

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    You and other VCTers probably remember this classic where some of the perps actually got in some trouble (versus the thousands of times where it goes on undetected and the employees retire on big pensions and live comfortable lives until their passing):
    The more I learn, the more I do not understand what is going on!?
    We might actually already be in Hell and not know it, doomed to constantly repeat "life".
    EVIL = LIVE

Yup, we are in HELL.
    I just seen a commercial for the new WOKE Quantum Leap series.
    If that doesn't prove it, nothing does.

Last edited by monet; 09-11-2022 at 05:56 PM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    The more I learn, the more I do not understand what is going on!?
    We might actually already be in Hell and not know it, doomed to constantly repeat "life".
    EVIL = LIVE

Yup, we are in HELL.
    I just seen a commercial for the new WOKE Quantum Leap series.
    If that doesn't prove it, nothing does.
    We caught a break - there were more good movies made before the woke movement started than we will ever be able to watch. I appreciate the link - another great example of how most of what's coming out is now unwatchable, woke trash. Here's a nice speculative piece in regards to the huge chess cheating scandal you probably heard about causing Magnus Carlson to withdraw from the high stakes St. Louis tournament due to suspected cheating by Niemann who beat him in the 3rd round (basically these guys are on the honor system since there are many undetectable ways to cheat). Please disregard if you have already seen this piece:

We caught a break - there were more good movies made before the woke movement started than we will ever be able to watch. I appreciate the link - another great example of how most of what's coming out is now unwatchable, woke trash. Here's a nice speculative piece in regards to the huge chess cheating scandal you probably heard about causing Magnus Carlson to withdraw from the high stakes St. Louis tournament due to suspected cheating by Niemann who beat him in the 3rd round (basically these guys are on the honor system since there are many undetectable ways to cheat). Please disregard if you have already seen this piece:
    Thanks I didn't watch that one.
    I heard about it but didn't care too much about it.
    I seen him on Lex's Podcast but only watched about 5 minutes as I don't enjoy that podcast.
    I wanted to hear his opinion on Fischer Random but I was a bit disappointed because they didn't state the obvious that many starting positions are heavily tilted in whites favor.
    Chess was far more romantic and interesting for me before solvers came along.
    In my opinion Chess has been solved and so has the game Go.
    Not for me as I'll never solve either game but for the pros and computer programs the two games are dead.
    Anyways I never get into these but I seen it on twatter and thought it was an interesting map...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Anyways I never get into these but I seen it on twatter and thought it was an interesting map...
    Another great example of the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words". With regard to chess guests on Retard Lex Fridman's podcast, I think we can agree that Kasparov probably will not return as a guest.

Another great example of the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words". With regard to chess guests on Retard Lex Fridman's podcast, I think we can agree that Kasparov probably will not return as a guest.
    lol you are probably correct.
    Not sure if you noticed but I was talking about Magnus Carlsen recently on his podcast.
    I just mentioned it because something got lost in my comprehension of our back and forth in the written format.
    I skimmed through listening to about 5 to 10 minutes of it but that was all I could handle.
    It's nice when Joe Rogan is your friend as you can make a good living starting up a podcast.
    Not that you care but here it is...

lol you are probably correct.
    Not sure if you noticed but I was talking about Magnus Carlsen recently on his podcast.
    I just mentioned it because something got lost in my comprehension of our back and forth in the written format.
    I skimmed through listening to about 5 to 10 minutes of it but that was all I could handle.
    It's nice when Joe Rogan is your friend as you can make a good living starting up a podcast.
    Not that you care but here it is...
    Thanks Monet. Yes it was your earlier reference of Carlsen being on Fridman that made me think of back when Kasparov was a guest. I had listened to the Carlsen podcast a few days back, prior to the scandal. In summary, IIRC Carlsen said that he thought Kasporov,Fisher and himself were the best of all time, but gave the edge to Kasporov for creativity. Carlsen said that Messi is the best footballer of all time, but I watched Maradona in his prime (World Cup '86 on TV for example) and Maradona was better IMHO, which isn't to say that Messi is not amazing. The podcast was unremarkable just like Fridman (not a bad podcast or anything like that) - basically the times when the podcast is good is when the guest carries the podcast by himself since Fridman is an idiot, however Magnus didn't really carry it as I think he didn't seem that motivated to even be on the podcast - hopefully Magnus will be a guest on some other podcasts since he seems to be a nice enough guy and definitely justifies his opinions with solid reasoning. Below is an interesting video clip of a clicking noise when suspected cheater Hans Niemann reaches behind his ear during a Sinquefield cup interview where the alleged cheating took place.
    https://looptube.io/?videoId=DCeJrIt...5486713&rate=1

Thread Information