Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Offshore Contest Results

Generally, when I'm in the hunt early, I stay in the hunt. Not always, but usually. So here are the results through two weeks of the NFL season. For those who want to follow along, anyone with accounts at these sites can check week to week results.

1) Northbet NFL Contest. You pick NFL games without point spreads. Currently tied for sixth out of what I'm guessing are 500-600 entries. Top five cash at the end of the season.

2) Heritage Race to the Super Bowl. Top 25 cash. You pick all NFL games without spreads AND all of the primetime NFL totals. I'm currently tied for 22nd out of a couple thousand entrants.

3) TopBet NFL Picks Contest. All NFL games without point spreads. Currently tied for 11th out of 1380. I think top 20 cash, but I'll have to verify that. I'm entered under the name "reptilicus," which is my favorite Danish monster movie. Really terrible effects, but I loved it.

And here's a trivia note: one of the offshores has a free Thursday and Monday night contest where you pick the score. If you hit it exactly, you get 10K. The good news is that I hit the KC/Charger 27-24 game exactly. The bad news is that so did 40 other people on the site, so I got a grand total of $240. LOL.

That's it. Follow along if you like. The Wise Guys Contest ended with the pandemic, unfortunately. I was in that for more than 30 years. It was invitation only, and you had to pick two ATS games a week for each week of the NFL season plus a playoff week. I finished up somewhere in the top three of those who had been in the contest for a decade plus. Some day I need to go back and tally it all up.

Good luck this season.
    Last edited by redietz; 09-20-2022 at 07:31 AM.

Heading into Monday Night, I got clobbered in both the Northbet and Heritage contests. I don't know how bad the drop will be after tonight, but in Heritage I fell to 56th from 22nd. In the TopBet contest, I think I probably improved, so that's some consolation. I'm expecting to have cracked the top five or six, but I'll see when the official standings come out Tuesday night.

I got destroyed in two of the three NFL contests. In Heritage, I fell from 22nd to 86th out of a couple thousand. In Northbet, I got knocked down from a tie for sixth to off the Top 25 leaderboard. In TopBet, however, I moved from 11th into a tie for third. Rugged week and rugged results.

After Week Five, here are the "Obscure Contest Results." For those who think picking outright winners in the NFL and totals is a worthless skill, please skip the following:

1) Back on the leaderboard at Northbet, tied for 11th out of between 500 and 600.

2) Tied for 50th in Heritage out of a couple thousand (my prime time totals have not gone well).

3) Tied for first out of roughly 1300 in Topbet. Odds are way against winning it with this many people, but I can't complain about the position. Now all I have to do to hang onto first is pick a winner between Washington and the Bears. Gag me with a spoon. Lose the game, and I drop to fifth or sixth.

Gee Whiz redietz... take off the dresses!!

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I watch football with no sound, so I missed all the action. If I were his partner, I would have made some sideways comment like, "You're right, but you're going to catch heck for phrasing it that way" or something to bail him out.

Troy gets a pass from me. There have been Aikman interviews where he admits he had bad stretches due to the numerous severe concussions he sustained. He's worked hard to get to where he can do what he does. His brain is all messed up is what I'm saying.

You do remember Buddy Ryan turning loose some vintage Eagle 46 defenses on him his first two years, don't you? Aikman took a worse beating those years than poor old Archie Manning back in the day. And let's not forget, when people say Terry Bradshaw is dumb -- how smart would you be after this?

Smear the Queer!
    The way football was meant to be played.
    I miss it but at least I got to watch a lot of it in the 80's and 90's.

Ryan’s 85 Bears defense.
    Greatest of all time!

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    Ryan’s 85 Bears defense.
    Greatest of all time!
    They had some issues with the quickest release of all time (Marino), but against ordinary folk, they were like the horsemen of the apocalypse.

His Eagle defenses weren't much inferior to those Bears, and they brutalized Aikman his first year in the league. Worst beatings I have ever seen (played them twice, of course).

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    His Eagle defenses weren't much inferior to those Bears, and they brutalized Aikman his first year in the league. Worst beatings I have ever seen (played them twice, of course).
    Buddy Ryan's time with the Eagles was way before my time In Philly and as an Eagles fan. But while I only attended one single game at the old Veterans Stadium (the vet), my first year in Philly, before the Linc opened, people claim that the Vet's turf was like playing on cement. Opposing QB's must have hated coming in there to play. I am told there was a game against Washington Redskins dubbed the "body bag game" that all 3 QB's on the Redskins roster were knocked out of the game, leaving them to finish with a running back or receiver playing quarterback.

I watch football with no sound, so I missed all the action. If I were his partner, I would have made some sideways comment like, "You're right, but you're going to catch heck for phrasing it that way" or something to bail him out.

Troy gets a pass from me. There have been Aikman interviews where he admits he had bad stretches due to the numerous severe concussions he sustained. He's worked hard to get to where he can do what he does. His brain is all messed up is what I'm saying.

You do remember Buddy Ryan turning loose some vintage Eagle 46 defenses on him his first two years, don't you? Aikman took a worse beating those years than poor old Archie Manning back in the day. And let's not forget, when people say Terry Bradshaw is dumb -- how smart would you be after this?

Troy gets a pass from me too, as I don't think he said anything wrong.
    I mean how far have we fallen if criticizing a ticky-tack roughing call with a "dresses" comment gets one in trouble. Who does that offend? And who cares....!
    Being this woke is total BS.
    I'm glad I grew up in the era of Howard, Frank, and Dandy Don in the booth.

So that were 3 outrageous roughing the QB calls.

The first on in the early morning (6:30am) game in L8ndon I did not see.

The second was the call on Brady in which they claimed the defender "slung" Brady to the ground when he did not. He rather gently rolled him to the ground.

The 3rd was the call on the cheifs. Clearly the cheifs guy braced himself with his arms he wasn't coming down on Carr with all his weight.

But oddly what was missed is later in the Cheifs game, Mahomes was "slung" to the ground (much worse that the Brady call) and no penalty was called.

Between these phantom roughing the QB calls and defensive backs not allowed to touch receivers, I don't know how teams are supposed to play defense. And I suppose that is what the NFL wants. Offense. Offense offense. 55-52 games.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    Buddy Ryan's time with the Eagles was way before my time In Philly and as an Eagles fan. But while I only attended one single game at the old Veterans Stadium (the vet), my first year in Philly, before the Linc opened, people claim that the Vet's turf was like playing on cement. Opposing QB's must have hated coming in there to play. I am told there was a game against Washington Redskins dubbed the "body bag game" that all 3 QB's on the Redskins roster were knocked out of the game, leaving them to finish with a running back or receiver playing quarterback.
    I remember that moniker. The Vet turf was thin and rock hard.

I lived at grad circle at Penn State for four/five years, and I was maybe 100 yards from an outdoor artificial turf field PSU used to practice. When it was zero degrees, I'd go out on that field just to see what the conditions were like. I can't imagine playing in December on that Vet turf. My God. It must have been a nightmare.

After Week Five, here are the "Obscure Contest Results." For those who think picking outright winners in the NFL and totals is a worthless skill, please skip the following:

1) Back on the leaderboard at Northbet, tied for 11th out of between 500 and 600.

2) Tied for 50th in Heritage out of a couple thousand (my prime time totals have not gone well).

3) Tied for first out of roughly 1300 in Topbet. Odds are way against winning it with this many people, but I can't complain about the position. Now all I have to do to hang onto first is pick a winner between Washington and the Bears. Gag me with a spoon. Lose the game, and I drop to fifth or sixth.
    A quick reenactment of what redietz says and probably thinks, every week, before kickoff...

I mean how far have we fallen if criticizing a ticky-tack roughing call with a "dresses" comment gets one in trouble. Who does that offend? And who cares....!
    We were debating the other day at lunch about how Howard got in trouble for referring to the Colt RB, who was about 5'8", as "a little monkey."

Well, I explained, first of all, that crew was half in the bag most broadcasts, or at least Don and Howard were. And second, my grandfather (an old hard-nosed German dude) routinely referred to hyperkinetic children as "little monkeys." He used that phrase often, and he was about the same age as Cosell. It had nothing to do with racism -- it was just something grandfathers said about youngsters. Cosell may have been guilty of being overly paternal, but he was not really being racist. He got all kinds of hell for it.

Duplicate and delayed post.

A quick reenactment of what redietz says and probably thinks, every week, before kickoff...

Weird Al was a California native, right? How did he get so in tune with coal region polka sensibilities?

Weird Al was a California native, right? How did he get so in tune with coal region polka sensibilities?
    His family was into it and they were from West Virginia and Cleveland.
    Look up Frankie Yankovic.
    "America's Polka King"

I had to listen to my father sing this all the time but I grew up in Western Pennsylvania.
    Not much difference between West Virginia and Cleveland if you know the area.

His family was into it and they were from West Virginia and Cleveland.
    Look up Frankie Yankovic.
    "America's Polka King"

I had to listen to my father sing this all the time but I grew up in Western Pennsylvania.
    Not much difference between West Virginia and Cleveland if you know the area.

This is great! One generation removed from, and the precursor for one of my fave Spinal Tap songs:

We were debating the other day at lunch about how Howard got in trouble for referring to the Colt RB, who was about 5'8", as "a little monkey."

Well, I explained, first of all, that crew was half in the bag most broadcasts, or at least Don and Howard were. And second, my grandfather (an old hard-nosed German dude) routinely referred to hyperkinetic children as "little monkeys." He used that phrase often, and he was about the same age as Cosell. It had nothing to do with racism -- it was just something grandfathers said about youngsters. Cosell may have been guilty of being overly paternal, but he was not really being racist. He got all kinds of hell for it.
    No, Cosell was not a racist. It was not even the first time he used that term. BTW, it was Garrett the Redskin WR he was referring to. He got a lot of support, even from Garrett himself, but it ended up pretty much being a career ender as he left MNF at the end of that season.
    I remember watching that game and hearing that comment.

Thread Information