Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Offshore Contest Results

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Week Eight looks impossible. After Week Seven:

1) Dropped to 72nd in Heritage. Getting murdered in primetime totals.
    2) Moved up to tie for ninth in NorthBet.
    3) Tied for first in TopBet.

There is no way to do well Week Eight, so I have to accept that holding first is highly unlikely. The important thing is to stay patient if I take a beating this week. Usually you have to outperform the linesmakers by at least seven or eight games to contend in these things. I'm three or four games ahead of the linesmakers at this juncture, depending on opening versus closing lines. Odds are always against actually winning any of these, but usually when I'm in the hunt, I manage to stay in the hunt.

The bad news is that I got killed this past week. The good news is I hardly budged in standings.

1) Tied for 74th in Heritage out of a couple thousand. I couldn't pick a primetime total if I knew the halftime score.
    2) Tied for 10th in Northbet out of 500+. Got clobbered but dropped one spot.
    3) Tied for first in TopBet out of 1300+. Don't know how I didn't drop a ton, but I didn't.

Got killed and still remained in first place in TopBet?
    Seems odd.
    1300 hundred people betting the same bets?

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Seems odd.
    That's one possibility. Another is the message of being so far ahead in 1st place in the TopBet contest that, getting killed, he is still in first place. I think we both know which possibility is more likely. Totally unrelated to these two possibilities, I am randomly pasting a screenshot below.
    Name:  d5ZvxFk.png
Views: 381
Size:  14.2 KB

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    That's one possibility. Another is the message of being so far ahead in 1st place in the TopBet contest that, getting killed, he is still in first place. I think we both know which possibility is more likely. Totally unrelated to these two possibilities, I am randomly pasting a screenshot below.
    Hard to believe that he is that far ahead.
    Hard to believe that someone isn't controlling multiple accounts.
    I'd like to see the picks posted a few hours before post time please... thanks.
    This brings me to a song and movie reco at the same time.

All the Way or better known as the Joker is Wild.
    Currently Free on Youtube.
    The audio seems a little funny.
    I'll have to check my dvd and see if the audio syncs better.
    This youtube version isn't bad... certainly watchable.
    (Eddie Albert before Green Acres)

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Hard to believe that he is that far ahead.
    Hard to believe that someone isn't controlling multiple accounts.
    I'd like to see the picks posted a few hours before post time please... thanks.
    This brings me to a song and movie reco at the same time.

All the Way or better known as the Joker is Wild.
    Currently Free on Youtube.
    The audio seems a little funny.
    I'll have to check my dvd and see if the audio syncs better.
    This youtube version isn't bad... certainly watchable.
    (Eddie Albert before Green Acres)
    I appreciate the reco Monet. Eddie Albert was terrific so I doubt he'll disappoint in Joker is Wild.

Seems odd.

Well, it's not like the results are opaque. It's a no spread contest, so when you start the week with two favorites (Bucs, JVille) who lose outright, you are "getting killed" because you can't do worse if you took them. I had them. I got 10 out of 14 games right, which is not good...at all. The previous co-leader did worse -- 8-6. But a guy who was two games back went 12-2 and caught me. Actually was ahead of me going into the 4 PM games, as it turned out.

So no, it's the opposite. Everybody is taking radically different games because so many underdogs are winning outright this season.

You guys draw conclusions that are completely wrong so often that it's really surprising to me. Surely you have been in those free or low-cost no-spread Las Vegas contests like Boyd and Palace Station used to run every year.

Squinting at the standings, I see that one guy went 13-1 and is one game behind me and the 12-2 dude. Everybody is taking very different teams. My best shot is if things settle down and all of these three or four point underdogs don't keep winning.

Monet, you must have been in the old Barbary Coast and Palace contests. My girlfriend won a house in Palace Station way back maybe 30 years ago. The best I ever did was winning a cruise for two at the old Barbary Coast. I sold it to a friend. I split the weekly prizes many times, but never for more than 2K. I think the best I did in the season-ending prizes besides the cruises was 1k, which I got pretty much every year, but never significantly more than that.

One guy in the old Barbary Contest, a local business owner, coordinated 1100 entries out of 30,000. He had all of his employees put entries in and he organized them. I was told by BC staff that he had the second biggest organized cartel in the contest.

Well, now that I read his posts, I suppose tableplay was taking a shot at me without facts. Nothing new. A lot of these "APs" lack facts. Or evidence. Or actual expertise. They are, after all, APs. The experts to end all experts, even when they have no idea what they are talking about. Tableplay, in this instance, decided to be snarky without actually (1) reading what I wrote or (2) bothering to check and see if what he was saying was at all accurate. Must be a special skill set for some APs -- ability to read without comprehending and knowing things without doing any actual checking. Congrats, tableplay, you are the classic AP.
    Last edited by redietz; 11-02-2022 at 05:41 AM.

Talk about "humble brags." Tableplay assumes he knows what he's talking about without checking anything. Then labels someone else as "humble bragging." What I posted was completely accurate and not terribly humble. I did the math. Out of the top 30 people in the contest, four had worse records than me last week. Twenty-three had better records. Three had the same. That seems a reasonable definition of "getting killed."

Well, it seems to me that just presuming you know what you're talking about without fact checking, and then saying that someone else is humble bragging, is a form of humble bragging itself. Because you are presuming people should take you at your word because, well, because you're always/generally/inevitably right? But you don't state that you're always/generally/inevitably right. You just want folks to assume it.

So congrats on the humble bragging, tableplay. Another AP skill that goes humbly unnoticed so many times.
    Last edited by redietz; 11-02-2022 at 05:54 AM.

Talk about "humble brags." Tableplay assumes he knows what he's talking about without checking anything.
    I didn't assume anything. I mentioned them as possibilities.

Talk about "humble brags." Tableplay assumes he knows what he's talking about without checking anything. Then labels someone else as "humble bragging." What I posted was completely accurate and not terribly humble. I did the math. Out of the top 30 people in the contest, four had worse records than me last week. Twenty-three had better records. Three had the same. That seems a reasonable definition of "getting killed."

Well, it seems to me that just presuming you know what you're talking about without fact checking, and then saying that someone else is humble bragging, is a form of humble bragging itself. Because you are presuming people should take you at your word because, well, because you're always/generally/inevitably right? But you don't state that you're always/generally/inevitably right. You just want folks to assume it.

So congrats on the humble bragging, tableplay. Another AP skill that goes humbly unnoticed so many times.
    He did get you to type out a very lengthy response and that isn't very easy to do.

Mixed results.

1) Dropped to 94th in Heritage.
    2) Moved into tie for sixth at NorthBet.
    3) Dropped into solo second at TopBet.

This is hard. People are really winging it. I had those mixed results with identical lineups in terms of teams (Heritage also has totals). I had to win both the Bucs and Ravens games to be where I am. Just very tough.

Another brutal Thursday night choice on the agenda this week.

I got absolutely clobbered again. Went 6-8 picking outright winners in NorthBet, which is awful. Results:

1) Moved into 89th in Heritage out of a couple thousand. Got some totals right for a change.
    2) Dropped into tie for eighth in NorthBet out of 500+.
    3) Tied for second in TopBet out of 1300+.

If not for Tom Brady these last two weeks, I'd really have gotten my ass kicked. I don't even like Brady, but when the chips are down in toss-up games, the only QB I'd rather have is Joe Montana. And Montana is who Brady modeled himself on.

If not for Tom Brady these last two weeks, I'd really have gotten my ass kicked. I don't even like Brady, but when the chips are down in toss-up games, the only QB I'd rather have is Joe Montana. And Montana is who Brady modeled himself on.
    This doesn't mean much but in my opinion Montana had far better players around him and I'm sure that you will agree that 80s NFL was completely different compared to 2000 on up.
    With that being said, Tom Brady is by far the Greatest QB of All Time in my book and I'm not a Pats or Brady fan.
    Montana was tougher and took way more punishment.
    So an individual could argue that Montana and other QBs are better because they had to play with all the pain and vicious defensive hits over and over again.
    One thing is for sure, it was way more entertaining to watch 70s, 80s and 90s NFL and NHL.
    I'm sure the 60s NFL and NHL was just as fun.
    And the MLB in those days was just Epic.

This doesn't mean much but in my opinion Montana had far better players around him and I'm sure that you will agree that 80s NFL was completely different compared to 2000 on up.
    With that being said, Tom Brady is by far the Greatest QB of All Time in my book and I'm not a Pats or Brady fan.
    Montana was tougher and took way more punishment.
    So an individual could argue that Montana and other QBs are better because they had to play with all the pain and vicious defensive hits over and over again.
    One thing is for sure, it was way more entertaining to watch 70s, 80s and 90s NFL and NHL.
    I'm sure the 60s NFL and NHL was just as fun.
    And the MLB in those days was just Epic.
    I was on The Amazing Mets bandwagon as a 12-year-old. We got their games on WPIX, I think. Cleon Jones, Tommy Agee, Seaver.

If you want to see an underappreciated QB at the time, take a look at Archie Manning's old clips. He played for a horrendous team, which is probably why Eli was so hard core about who he'd play for during the draft and who he wouldn't. Archie got murdered every week; it was pitiful.

Brady is pure assassin. I look at Montana two ways -- yeah, he had better players around him. But yeah, he also made everyone around him better. From what I've read, Brady is/was a real Montana fan. Montana was his guy.

Not much to report:

1) Currently 92nd in Heritage.
    2) Tied for fifth in NorthBet out of 500+.
    3) Tied for second in Topbet out of 1300+.

TopBet was interesting. I had been two games out of first in Topbet and with my 11-3 record was hoping to have made up a game. A guy one game behind me got them all correct and blew into first place, and the first place guy did not do well, and I passed him. Thus, I am still tied for second.

Got some totals right in Heritage for a change. The Colts loss hurt me in all of the contests.

1) Moved up to 59th in Heritage.
    2) Tied for fifth in NorthBet. Thursday had moved me into fifth alone, then Monday put me back into a tie.
    3) Alone in second in TopBet.

I'm at the point where I need to accept that I'm likely not actually winning any of these, so I need to just work to maintain where I am.

Uneventful week.

1) Dropped to 78th in Heritage. Lost two totals by a combined two points.
    2) Dropped to solo seventh in Northbet.
    3) Stayed in solo second in TopBet, but closed to within one game of the leader.

With two weeks to go:

1) Dropped to 132nd in Heritage out of a couple thousand. Could not get a Prime Time NFL total correct to save my life.
    2) Tied for ninth in NorthBet (out of 500+).
    3) Tied for second in TopBet (out of 1300+). One game out of the lead.

Denver (as a -3) losing outright to the Rams hurt me. Almost took the Rams in NorthBet, but just did not have the balls. I think Denver was working to get the coach relieved of duties.

Heading into the Monday Night game, I'm sitting alone in first of the weekly part of the NorthBet contest. You have the option of changing your MNF pick until 10 minutes before the game. I picked the Bengals originally, but I may change that.

If I get it right, I finish first in the weekly. If I'm wrong, there are about 10 people directly behind me, half of whom would undoubtedly tie me.

I got one game wrong thus far. Dan will like the fact I got the Eagles wrong. I was actually rooting for the Saints for my own selfish -- Dallas at +750 and +1000 to win the NFC -- reasons.

So 14-1 heading into MNF.

With the Bills/Bengals no-contest, I won the weekly Northbet contest with a 14-1 record. That record moved me into sixth overall for the season out of 500+.

Now, in case anyone is following along, I do NOT recommend taking who I take this week. Top five cash, and I am sixth. I'm one game out of the money and four games out of the lead.

Sometimes, when faced with this kind of contest for modest money, I just say the hell with any prize money and post the best record I can. But since there are many brutal games with third string QBs and dead-in-the-water coaches, I'll take a whack at moving up by taking five or six whackadoodle underdogs. That doesn't mean I think these teams should be moneyline bet; it just means it's my way of taking a longshot attempt at making it into the top three. Not going to happen, but I will take the shot.

Note: I had taken the Bengals in the MNF game, then two hours before kickoff, I changed to the Bills because the Bills had gone to -2 1/2. Then an hour before kickoff, I said the hell with it and changed it back to the Bengals.
    Last edited by redietz; 01-06-2023 at 06:11 PM.

Final tallies:

1) Finished 147 out of a couple thousand in Heritage. Could not pick a prime time total correctly. I was so bad, it was scary.
    2) In Northbet, I took my underdog shot in an attempt to crack the top five but lost three of four whackjob underdogs. Finished tied for eighth out of 500+.

Thread Information