Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Axl Rose and Cake Cream in 2022! :D

As James' attorney, Axl filed legal papers contesting the finding that James was in fact the sire of four hungry, mewling mouths in need of feeding.

At trial James testified "But, but, how can this be? We never had sex."

Things did not go well for James as he had zero evidence to contest and disprove the scientific DNA testing, so Axl swung for the cheap seats.

"Judge V., James does not lie, at least not while under oath, so he must be telling the truth. Therefore these children were immaculately conceived by The Creator, and are the second coming of Jesus Christ, times four."

A furor, no: HAVOC broke out in the court room; the trial was halted because all the spectators' blood made it difficult to keep one's footing.

Word quickly spread across the 'net about the new Messiahs.

Sensing a Golden Opportunity, Judge V. ensconced Melissa and her brood in a hastily built creche on the courthouse lawn; he put a fence around it and demanded that viewers pay a thousand bucks to get close to the little Messiahs.

Millions flocked to see the miracle of our time: Billions were paid in support of their delusion.

Judge V. and Melissa raked it all in, splitting the proceeds as always, snorting Peruvian flake and remarking: "What fools these mortals be."
    What, Me Worry?

Mr. V, about Axl not technically qualifying to be a Lawyer due to him not going to Law School, not having a Law Degree, not having a Law License, not passing the bar, etc, and how much trouble he could be for being Cake Cream's Lawyer without all of these legal requirements, I'm thinking of having Axl claim that he's Cake Cream's LAWYER and not their ATTORNEY and claim he doesn't NEED those requirements as he's not an ATTORNEY, just their LAWYER. He could claim that Cake Cream signed contracts stating he is their Lawyer and point out how he read a law book. Like how your Sister could be your Manager if you are a Singer, but she's not technically able to be your AGENT. What do you think, Mr. V?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zk2WAFzDcrJ7pjNB7

Take comfort in the fact that no one is actually backing up his wishes to have you permanantly banned.

Smart is knowing a Tomato is a fruit.

Wise is knowing a Tomato doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

I am glad to get my full posting rights back! Thank you Dan!

You know fully damned well what I think, Tasha.

You'll do what you want to do, with predictable consequences.

What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    You know fully damned well what I think, Tasha.

You'll do what you want to do, with predictable consequences.

Is there a difference between a Lawyer and an Attorney? I'm 100 percent serious in my question...

Take comfort in the fact that no one is actually backing up his wishes to have you permanantly banned.

Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
    Is there a difference between a Lawyer and an Attorney? I'm 100 percent serious in my question...
    There is no difference between the two, and I am 100 percent serious in my response.
    What, Me Worry?

There is no difference between the two, and I am 100 percent serious in my response.
    Thank you for your answer!

Tasha, I suspect you are confused by the concept known as "Power of Attorney."

The term power of attorney (POA) refers to a legal authorization that gives a designated person the power to act for someone else.

As such, a POA gives the agent or attorney-in-fact the authority to act on behalf of the principal.

A power of attorney is a legal document that allows someone else to act on your behalf.

Powers of attorney (POA) can be helpful to older people and others who want to choose a trusted person to act on their behalf when they cannot.
    What, Me Worry?

Tasha, I suspect you are confused by the concept known as "Power of Attorney."

The term power of attorney (POA) refers to a legal authorization that gives a designated person the power to act for someone else.

As such, a POA gives the agent or attorney-in-fact the authority to act on behalf of the principal.

A power of attorney is a legal document that allows someone else to act on your behalf.

Powers of attorney (POA) can be helpful to older people and others who want to choose a trusted person to act on their behalf when they cannot.
    Hmm. I saw a news report about a Power Of Attorney who STOLE her Mother's money and had a lavish lifestyle with the stolen money. What a nasty daughter to not only steal from her Mother, but to abuse her Power Of Attorney powers and her Mother's trust like this!

From a usage point of view, I've always taken an attorney to mean a lawyer with a client. Something I read in a paperback someone left on a table in a big mall, forty years ago. I left it behind for the next guy, but, it was such a good source of odd thus trivia, that I now wish I had taken it. Ha.

https://onlinemasteroflegalstudies.c...ney-vs-lawyer/
    Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder + Bill Yung + 1HitWonder ---> GOTTLOB1 = Praise to God!

Blog at https://garnabby.blogspot.com/2023/08/blog-post.html

Originally Posted by Gottlob1 View Post
    From a usage point of view, I've always taken an attorney to mean a lawyer with a client. Something I read in a paperback someone left on a table in a big mall, forty years ago. I left it behind for the next guy, but, it was such a good source of odd thus trivia, that I now wish I had taken it. Ha.

https://onlinemasteroflegalstudies.c...ney-vs-lawyer/
    But ALL lawyers should have clients, shouldn't they?

Going by the etymology (history of a word or phrase shown by tracing its development and relationships) of the words.

The word lawyer has Middle English origins, and refers to someone who is educated and trained in law. Lawyers are people who have gone to law school and often may have taken and passed the bar exam.
    Attorney has French origins, and stems from a word meaning to act on the behalf of others. The term attorney is an abbreviated form of the formal title, attorney at law. An attorney is someone who is not only trained and educated in law, but also practices it in court. A basic definition of an attorney is someone who acts as a practitioner in a court of law.
    Going by the job descriptions.

Though a lawyer is someone who has completed law school and passed the bar exam, you don’t have to practice law in court to be considered a lawyer. Lawyers may take on roles as consultants or advisors. Many choose to practice in a specialized field such as estate law, immigration law, or tax law, where they may give legal advice to clients.
    As an attorney, you practice law in court. Passing the bar exam is a requirement for an attorney, giving them the right to practice law in a specific jurisdiction. Like lawyers, attorneys are required to abide by a code of ethics and may practice in both civil and criminal courts.
    Lots of politicians are lawyers, but, they don't practice law.
    Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder + Bill Yung + 1HitWonder ---> GOTTLOB1 = Praise to God!

So, a Lawyer is someone who studied the law. An Attorney is someone who practices the law in Court.

Yes, but, those are primarily English language usage distinctions. A hundred years ago, people cared; fifty years ago, it was a big thing to try to remind everyone, as if getting the words straight held some additional hidden meaning.

When I was a kid - roaming the streets to see what was going on, trying to learn about the world - I had the theory, no two words being identical, that every thing could be deduced by putting all of those words together in consistent fashion. You can wander for days, months, even years, thinking about stuff like that until you grow out of it. Infrequently, in the early morning hours, you cross paths with another who has the same look on his face.

So, a Lawyer is someone who studied the law. An Attorney is someone who practices the law in Court.
    Nope, that dog won't hunt ... in the real world.

The terms are equivalent ... in the real world.

I've never before seen anyone state what you are arguing.
    What, Me Worry?

An interesting topic despite the limited specific literature online.

After a bit more fiddling, I found something else, at Dictionary.com, which, I guess, is an online version of Random House Unabridged Dictionary. There's a related thread at English Stackexchange, with the standard response from a lawyer, but not much if anything from the linguists, who, without more to go on, caved in.

What’s the difference between an attorney and a lawyer?

The American Bar Association does not differentiate between a lawyer and attorney. The ABA uses these terms interchangeably to refer to a person who can practice law. The American Bar Association states on their website that “A lawyer (also called attorney, counsel, or counselor) is a licensed professional who advises and represents others in legal matters.”

However, some law offices may use the words attorney and lawyer to refer to people who have different responsibilities or specializations. For example, they may use the word attorney to describe a person whose typical work involves representing people in court and use the word lawyer to describe a person who does other kinds of legal work outside of the courtroom, such as offering legal advice or reviewing legal documents.

Sometimes, the word lawyer is also used more generally to refer to any person who has graduated from law school and earned a law degree. However, this usage does not agree with the ABA’s definition of a lawyer (or attorney). The ABA states that a person is not a lawyer until they have passed the state bar examination and have been licensed by a state to practice law.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/lawyer-vs-attorney/
    The Stackexchange thread is at https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...rney-vs-lawyer
    Last edited by Gottlob1; 09-30-2023 at 04:14 PM.

Note that there is NO requirement that someone go to law school to become a lawyer / attorney / barrister / mouthpiece / shyster.

Many, perhaps all, states have programs where they allow someone to be mentored by an attorney.

For example ,the Law Clerk Program is an alternative to law school.

It is a four-year program designed to provide educational and practical experience through a combination of work and study with an experienced lawyer or judge.

So Tasha ... yes, Axl COULD be a lawyer / attorney WITHOUT going to law school, but he'd have to have completed the necessary prepartory program to qualify to take the bar exam.
    What, Me Worry?

Anyway, Tasha, that was a good question. Thanks.

Yes, it was...surprisingly.

By "surprisingl" I refer to the info Garnabby posted about it: I never would have thought there'd be any question as to the equivalency of the two terms.
    What, Me Worry?

Mr. V, in real life, would Axl NOT being trained as a Lawyer and having no law license negate the Contracts he had his and Cake Cream's Rivals sign? For example, Axl drew up Contract stating that Allison Peters confess she lied about Cake Cream and Axl and promised to never speak badly about them ever again, he drew up Contract that stated Brian Washington was never allowed to ask Cake Cream, Axl, Wild Water, Current Guns N'Roses for money, he drew up a Contract stating that David Livingston lied about Billy, Axl, and Cake Cream because he wanted to win his case, etc. Would the Contracts the Rivals signed in Court still be legally binding since Axl isn't trained as a Lawyer and doesn't have a Lawyer license?

If you're asking whether you need a lawyer to draft a contract, legally, the answer is no.

Anyone can draft a contract on their own and as long as the necessary elements are included and both parties are legally competent and consent to the agreement, it is generally lawful.

The problem for Axl would be him masquerading as an attorney / lawyer, e.g. in court before Judge V. claiming he is the attorney for Cake Cream: that would be his doom.
    What, Me Worry?

Thread Information