Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Alan thread.

Originally Posted by acescracked_1210 View Post
    Just a quick reminder that after all the blather, there's only ONE poster in this thread who takes himself so seriously that he felt the need to fake his own death on a gambling forum. Perfectly reasonable thing to do, of course, and he has a *perfectly reasonable* explanation for it, just as he has air-tight explanations for all the other bad behavior he's engaged in in these spaces over a VERY long period of time.
    Ok. Y'all win.

I just was going through some of Alan's old posts.

Looks like he had a kidney transplant, a pancreas transplant, and had been a diabetic since 1983.

Obviously he had a lot working against him, healthwise. Knowing all of this, it is not all that surprising that he passed at the relatively young age of 70. Some people just have bad genetics and aren't destined to stay healthy. Considering all of these issues, making it to 70 wasn't all that bad.

RIP
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Looks like he had a kidney transplant, a pancreas transplant, and had been a diabetic since 1983.

Obviously he had a lot working against him, healthwise. Knowing all of this, it is not all that surprising that he passed at the relatively young age of 70. Some people just have bad genetics and aren't destined to stay healthy. Considering all of these issues, making it to 70 wasn't all that bad.

RIP
    When are you people going to realize that 70 years old is old... it's over!?
    Unless you have a large family and can enjoy your children's children, the gig is up, game over.
    If you don't have it all set up by the time you are 30 you can FUHGETTABOUTIT.
    Unless you just want to sit around and let the color television wash all over you for another 20 years or so.
    Fun... I guess.

I hope he lived the life he wanted to live and wasn't burdened with too much pain.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Unless you have a large family and can enjoy your children's children, the gig is up, game over.
    Huh?

I've reached my golden years, I retired, and am enjoying things.

As they say, YMMV.
    What, Me Worry?

RIP
    Unless you just want to sit around and let the color television wash all over you for another 20 years or so.
    Fun... I guess.
    Look at Singer he's 73 and living the high life. The poster boy of making it in old age. You can aswell Monet

Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Look at Singer he's 73 and living the high life. The poster boy of making it in old age. You can aswell Monet
    For a bunch of math guys, you all sure do flip flop when it comes to average lifespan on this planet.
    It's literally the one thing that turns you all into ploppies.
    As if anyone has control over living to a certain age.
    Sure, you can cut down the odds a bit here and there but nobody has "control" over birth or death.

RIP
    Fun... I guess.
    70 is old but you can still enjoy things in life.

The average 70-year-old man today will make it to 84 1/2. The average 70-year-old woman will make it to almost 87!

The reason? Life expectancy is an average of lifespans in the country calculated from birth. They include all early deaths, which drag the average way down. Once you are 70, you have already faded all of the early deaths (your chance of dying earlier than 70 is zero), so your life expectancy is actually higher. This obviously ignores existing health issues, which widely vary among 70-year-olds. Alan had a lot of major health issues, so he was unlikely to make it to 84. However, his fairly sudden death was still a surprise.

You want to hear a weird fact? Even with no advances in medicine going forward, 50% of female babies born today are expected to see the year 2104.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Reviewing Monet's post above, I take from it that his concern is primarily financial, i.e. once you hit "your golden years" your ability to earn money essentially stops, and with it your ability to enjoy life in modern America.

Such a belief might hold true for the many millions of Americans who have not adopted and implemented a long term plan to save for and fund an enjoyable retirement.

Without a lot of savings, without an IRA or pension of significant value, without sufficient investments...you could be fucked.

Heaven help those poor souls who have done no planning, no investing, and who spent every dime they ever earned without socking any away.

I read stories all the time about seniors unable to pay increased rent and thus being forced into homelessness; gray beards and older women hold up cardboard signs begging for alms at freeway offramps.

Social Security alone won't cut it any more.

The moral of the story, if you're still young enough, is simply this: be proactive, plan ahead, invest some of your income now for the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MisterV; 11-23-2022 at 12:14 PM.
    What, Me Worry?

Once you hit 40 you’re just dying slowly, from a physical standpoint. Some take longer than others. Sorry, just because you have money and can still play ladder ball and smoke pot, or are raising a child, doesn’t make it less true.

Originally Posted by mcap View Post
    Once you hit 40 you’re just dying slowly, from a physical standpoint. Some take longer than others. Sorry, just because you have money and can still play ladder ball and smoke pot, or are raising a child, doesn’t make it less true.
    Of course it is a truism that no one lives forever, and the older we get the more likely we are to die.

That is a given, rule number one, and of course it cannot be forgotten.

But hitting 70 does NOT mean a person's ability to enjoy life, to interact with the world, must come to an end: such a belief would be silly and demonstrably untrue.

I accept the fact that I could die soon, or I might live another 30 or more years (my great nana lived to age 103 and baked xmas stollen til the end.)

Fact is, I enjoy not working, I enjoy doing whatever the hell it is I want to do, go where I want, etc.

But yeah, if I had the resources I now have when I was 18 to 21 my early life would have been much different.

That seems unfair, i.e. lots of us graybeards have lots of money, finally, but no urge to spend it on the foolish pleasures we so enjoyed as young pups.
    What, Me Worry?

Maybe I’m all wrong. Being eligible to collect social security is a requirement to be a presidential candidate in the US, after all. It’s

Maybe I’m all wrong. Being eligible to collect social security is a requirement to be a presidential candidate in the US, after all.
    Let's see...

Per googlei: "The Constitution lists only three qualifications for the Presidency — the President must be at least 35 years of age, be a natural born citizen, and must have lived in the United States for at least 14 years."

So... yeah, you're wrong.

Assume the following hypothetical to disprove your thesis:

A baby is born to Japanese parents in Hawaii, raised in a Japanese household in Hawaii and at age 15 he / they could move to Japan.

The child, raised Japanes in America, fits in smoothly and is quickly assimilated in Japan as being Japanese.

He becomes wealthy over time, has a good international reputation, and on a whim decides to run for president of the USA.

Seems to me this essentially Japanese man would qualify; hell, it isn't even required that he speak English.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Maybe I’m all wrong. Being eligible to collect social security is a requirement to be a presidential candidate in the US, after all.
    Let's see...

Per googlei: "The Constitution lists only three qualifications for the Presidency — the President must be at least 35 years of age, be a natural born citizen, and must have lived in the United States for at least 14 years."

So... yeah, you're wrong.

Assume the following hypothetical to disprove your thesis:

A baby is born to Japanese parents in Hawaii, raised in a Japanese household in Hawaii and at age 15 he / they could move to Japan.

The child, raised Japanes in America, fits in smoothly and is quickly assimilated in Japan as being Japanese.

He becomes wealthy over time, has a good international reputation, and on a whim decides to run for president of the USA.

Seems to me this essentially Japanese man would qualify; hell, it isn't even required that he speak English.
    You missed my point. Somehow the only major party candidates on the ballot are virtually always seniors. Hilldog, Trump, Biden, Pocahontas, Bernie; it’s absurd.

[You missed my point. Somehow the only major party candidates on the ballot are virtually always seniors. Hilldog, Trump, Biden, Pocahontas, Bernie; it’s absurd.
    Valid point.

I suppose it is a combination of factors which favor older folks.

First, name familiarity: the longer you are active the more press you can get.

Then there is "experience," which is a function of time spent on a task.

Of course the ability to attract financial backing comes into play, and payors want to back a known quantity.

How about electing "the best and the brightest and the youngest?"

Young folks may lack "experience" but they'd have a better idea as to the pulse of the culture and how to influence it.
    What, Me Worry?

Thread Information