Thread: I went to the Horseshoe Las Vegas cashier to get a $5 bill for some loose change -- and it turned into a ridiculous ordeal

Sometimes with Caesars, you just have to laugh. One of those situations occurred on Monday, when I did something I thought couldn't be simpler: I went to the cashier to exchange four $1 bills and four quarters for a $5 bill. What could go wrong?

There was a substantial line at the cashier, but fortunately the Diamond line had just one person ahead of me, and I'm a Diamond member at Caesars. Perfect, because there's no chance I was going to stand on a long line just to swap some small bills.

The guy ahead of me finished quickly, so I plunked my four singles and four quarters on the counter, and asked for a $5 bill.

"Can I see your Diamond or Seven Stars card please?", asked the cashier.

I was a bit annoyed, as I was simply asking for a quick exchange of bills. However, it was true I was in the Diamond line, which was substantially shorter than the normal line, so I dutifully complied, and whipped out my Diamond card, placing it on the counter.

The cashier snatched the card away and said, "I see yours is expired. Hang on."

She ran it through the computer and saw that indeed I was still of Diamond status, and that it was only the physical card which bore a past expiration date. Note that the printed date on the card doesn't really matter. The card still works when swiped anywhere.

I was already late for my dinner reservation, and didn't feel like waiting for a new card to print, but I figured it would only take a minute or so. In fact, I asked for two cards so I could have a spare.

Unfortunately, I was standing there for a few minutes while she kept walking back and forth between the counter and the printer. Without giving me any explanation, she moved over to a different counter, and left me standing there. Finally after a few more minutes, I moved over to where she was.

"Is there a problem?", I asked.

"Yes, the printer over there doesn't work," she responded. "I'm printing you the cards over here. I just need to log in and start the process all over."

"I am already late to dinner," I informed her. "Can I please just have my old card back and do it later?"

"No, I can't give that back to you, it's expired," she answered. "This is for your protection. If you lose it somewhere, or throw it away and someone finds it, they can sometimes use your privileges. So I'm throwing it away back here and printing you a new one."

"But I won't lose it", I explained. "I'm just going to come back later to print the new one, so I'd like the old one back in the meantime."

"Sorry, I can't give that to you. But the cards should be out shortly."

This was all taking WAY too long. I was probably there for about 10 minutes by this point -- all to exchange these damn small bills. Now my Diamond card was being held hostage!

Finally, it seemed to be over. Two cards came out of the printer, and she handed them to me one by one.

The first one looked like this:

Name:  horseshoe-card1.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  27.9 KB

Okay.. good. Everything looked standard, and the expiration date of 1/2024 was correct. (The black bar you see is my Caesars Rewards number, which I redacted.)

Then she handed me the second card.

Name:  horseshoe-card2.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  44.9 KB

What the hell is this?!

Looks like some kind of commemorative Horseshoe card (with the wrong year it "opened", no less), but notice the card says nothing about my level at the Caesars Rewards program. The first card above says DIAMOND, whereas the second card is simply a weird Horseshoe card which does not indicate my level at all!

This is a big problem, because you often need to flash your Diamond card when you get standard privileges such as special lines, priority restaurant seating, or valet parking. Simply flashing a "Horseshoe" card and saying you're Diamond isn't gonna cut it!

I politely asked, "Can you please reprint another card like the standard one? I'm not sure what this Horseshoe card is, but I need both of my cards to say Diamond on them."

"It doesn't matter what it says on the card," she snapped. "The computer will read it as Diamond either way."

Okay... but if that's the case, why force me to reprint my expired card, because the computer still reads that, as well?

I responded, "But I really need it to say Diamond, in case I'm in a priority line and need to flash it, or if I need to use it for valet parking."

"And that's why I gave you one of each," she answered in a frustrated tone of voice. "Your main card says Diamond. This other one is a backup card. So just use the main card when you need to flash it."

"I don't understand what's the point of a backup card if it's inferior to the main card," I replied. "Can you please just print a second card which says Diamond?"

"Again, this is your backup," she said angrily. "It doesn't matter what it says. The system reads it the same."

"I know how the program works very well," I responded. "And for the reasons I mentioned, I really need..."

"Okay, I get it. I'll do it", she interrupted.

She then printed a second Diamond card, and snottily asked, "Do you need anything else?"

I told her that was all, and I walked away.

I still have no fucking clue what the purpose is of that Horseshoe card. Maybe they were running low on Diamond cards and she was trying to save them? Very bizarre encounter, to say the least.

I didn't bother to complain to anyone, even though she was unnecessarily rude and combative with me, which they're not supposed to do to Diamond guests. I just laughed it off, went to dinner, and figured I'd post it over here when I got back.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

How can Caesars be so awful in general. Cheap fucks on comps. $100??? Really worth $50 .. "We want to build a relationship".. well lady that isn't how you do it.

Oh yea and good story Dan. None of that cringey stuff. These lowlevel people can't bend rules much. They just follow them to keep their job and take care of whoever they need to take care of. Just be glad you're not her.
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

Originally Posted by accountinquestion View Post
    How can Caesars be so awful in general. Cheap fucks on comps. $100??? Really worth $50 .. "We want to build a relationship".. well lady that isn't how you do it.

Oh yea and good story Dan. None of that cringey stuff. These lowlevel people can't bend rules much. They just follow them to keep their job and take care of whoever they need to take care of. Just be glad you're not her.
    I'm surprised Dan's story didn't end with something like,"I reported her to Management for her nasty, rude, condescending attitude towards me over this and got her fired!
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zk2WAFzDcrJ7pjNB7

Take comfort in the fact that no one is actually backing up his wishes to have you permanantly banned.

Smart is knowing a Tomato is a fruit.

Wise is knowing a Tomato doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

I am glad to get my full posting rights back! Thank you Dan!

Just use the damn singles and quarters for the waiter/waitress tip.

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Sometimes with Caesars, you just have to laugh. One of those situations occurred on Monday, when I did something I thought couldn't be simpler: I went to the cashier to exchange four $1 bills and four quarters for a $5 bill. What could go wrong?

There was a substantial line at the cashier, but fortunately the Diamond line had just one person ahead of me, and I'm a Diamond member at Caesars. Perfect, because there's no chance I was going to stand on a long line just to swap some small bills.

The guy ahead of me finished quickly, so I plunked my four singles and four quarters on the counter, and asked for a $5 bill.

"Can I see your Diamond or Seven Stars card please?", asked the cashier.

I was a bit annoyed, as I was simply asking for a quick exchange of bills. However, it was true I was in the Diamond line, which was substantially shorter than the normal line, so I dutifully complied, and whipped out my Diamond card, placing it on the counter.

The cashier snatched the card away and said, "I see yours is expired. Hang on."

She ran it through the computer and saw that indeed I was still of Diamond status, and that it was only the physical card which bore a past expiration date. Note that the printed date on the card doesn't really matter. The card still works when swiped anywhere.

I was already late for my dinner reservation, and didn't feel like waiting for a new card to print, but I figured it would only take a minute or so. In fact, I asked for two cards so I could have a spare.

Unfortunately, I was standing there for a few minutes while she kept walking back and forth between the counter and the printer. Without giving me any explanation, she moved over to a different counter, and left me standing there. Finally after a few more minutes, I moved over to where she was.

"Is there a problem?", I asked.

"Yes, the printer over there doesn't work," she responded. "I'm printing you the cards over here. I just need to log in and start the process all over."

"I am already late to dinner," I informed her. "Can I please just have my old card back and do it later?"

"No, I can't give that back to you, it's expired," she answered. "This is for your protection. If you lose it somewhere, or throw it away and someone finds it, they can sometimes use your privileges. So I'm throwing it away back here and printing you a new one."

"But I won't lose it", I explained. "I'm just going to come back later to print the new one, so I'd like the old one back in the meantime."

"Sorry, I can't give that to you. But the cards should be out shortly."

This was all taking WAY too long. I was probably there for about 10 minutes by this point -- all to exchange these damn small bills. Now my Diamond card was being held hostage!

Finally, it seemed to be over. Two cards came out of the printer, and she handed them to me one by one.

The first one looked like this:

Name:  horseshoe-card1.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  27.9 KB

Okay.. good. Everything looked standard, and the expiration date of 1/2024 was correct. (The black bar you see is my Caesars Rewards number, which I redacted.)

Then she handed me the second card.

Name:  horseshoe-card2.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  44.9 KB

What the hell is this?!

Looks like some kind of commemorative Horseshoe card (with the wrong year it "opened", no less), but notice the card says nothing about my level at the Caesars Rewards program. The first card above says DIAMOND, whereas the second card is simply a weird Horseshoe card which does not indicate my level at all!

This is a big problem, because you often need to flash your Diamond card when you get standard privileges such as special lines, priority restaurant seating, or valet parking. Simply flashing a "Horseshoe" card and saying you're Diamond isn't gonna cut it!

I politely asked, "Can you please reprint another card like the standard one? I'm not sure what this Horseshoe card is, but I need both of my cards to say Diamond on them."

"It doesn't matter what it says on the card," she snapped. "The computer will read it as Diamond either way."

Okay... but if that's the case, why force me to reprint my expired card, because the computer still reads that, as well?

I responded, "But I really need it to say Diamond, in case I'm in a priority line and need to flash it, or if I need to use it for valet parking."

"And that's why I gave you one of each," she answered in a frustrated tone of voice. "Your main card says Diamond. This other one is a backup card. So just use the main card when you need to flash it."

"I don't understand what's the point of a backup card if it's inferior to the main card," I replied. "Can you please just print a second card which says Diamond?"

"Again, this is your backup," she said angrily. "It doesn't matter what it says. The system reads it the same."

"I know how the program works very well," I responded. "And for the reasons I mentioned, I really need..."

"Okay, I get it. I'll do it", she interrupted.

She then printed a second Diamond card, and snottily asked, "Do you need anything else?"

I told her that was all, and I walked away.

I still have no fucking clue what the purpose is of that Horseshoe card. Maybe they were running low on Diamond cards and she was trying to save them? Very bizarre encounter, to say the least.

I didn't bother to complain to anyone, even though she was unnecessarily rude and combative with me, which they're not supposed to do to Diamond guests. I just laughed it off, went to dinner, and figured I'd post it over here when I got back.
    Did you put her down in your black book and list?
    Did you report her to the higher ups?
    I think you just enjoy the struggle and arguments.
    Anything new in Private Messages today?

Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
    Out of all the guys on this forum, you seem the least likely to tip.

Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
    Out of all the guys on this forum, you seem the least likely to tip.
    Me.yeah, him, maybe not so much.

Like often happens when you're gambling over a period of days, you start to accumulate a bunch of small bills and just want to get rid of them. I had already used my other small bills for something else, but I had like eight ones and four quarters puffing up my wallet, so I figured I'd exchange four of those ones and the quarters for a $5, provided I didn't have to wait more than a minute to do it.

Then it turned into all of this.

As I mentioned in the post, I did not report her. My thought as this was occurring was both, "I'm going to be late to dinner, I hope they don't cancel my reservation because of this" and "This is going to be a good story for the forum!"

Honestly had I reported this, she probably would have gotten into some trouble for her attitude, but overall this wasn't a big deal and I didn't want to bother reporting it. I will say that all Caesars employees are instructed to be respectful to the Diamond and Seven Stars members, so she definitely violated that.

I still don't understand what the Horseshoe Card is even for. Yeah, it's some kind of commemorative TR card, but who would want it unless you're the bottom tier?

When I objected to it, she should have just swapped it out and kept her mouth shut, rather than trying to debate with me as to why I don't deserve a second Diamond card.

Caesars can be hilarious because they can turn some of the most mundane situations into long strings of fail. Nothing at a Caesars property can ever be taken for granted as trivial and quick.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Very pathetic. As usual, people from California believe they're somehow entitled and deserve priority/top shelf treatment, even when purposely agitating low level employees unnecessarily. Dan gets a chill up his leg when these things occur. He seems to be never have been taught to treat all people he deals with face-to-face with respect. Needlessly arguing is the mark of a loser.

And those golden statements "she was rude to me and you're not supposed to be that way towards Diamond guests" and "Caesars employees are instructed to be respectful to Diamond and 7-Stars members" are beyond sick and ridiculous. Here's a hint: CAESARS INSTRUCTS THEIR EMPLOYEES TO BE RESPECTFUL TO ALL GUESTS REGARDLESS OF STUPID "STATUS", and HUMAN BEINGS SHOULD KNOW TO TREAT EVERYONE AS THEY EXPECT TO BE TREATED.

Simple courtesy; simple common sense.

To sum up what Rob just said above. Don't be a jackass slug !

That's appropriate, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

We all know how Dan goes absolutely berserk over being shorted ten bucks or his coffee isn't up to temp. This episode proves how he eggs the less fortunate on until they begin to crack--which he obviously enjoys.

This particular lady was only doing her job. How was she supposed to know he was really a Diamond level in the Diamond line? He was offended when she needed to verify that, and THAT'S where Dan saw an opening to act belligerent, snarky, and without respect for the remainder of their interaction. He probably got a woody in the process. And naturally, the lady would then show her irritation with him and his antics. He tells us how he had a dinner reservation, as if we're suppose to ooo and ahh over it. But all that was was him trying to show his "superiority" over this boothling. All it showed me was how he never really learned to respect women.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post

We all know how Dan goes absolutely berserk over being shorted ten bucks or his coffee isn't up to temp. This episode proves how he eggs the less fortunate on until they begin to crack--which he obviously enjoys.

This particular lady was only doing her job. How was she supposed to know he was really a Diamond level in the Diamond line? He was offended when she needed to verify that, and THAT'S where Dan saw an opening to act belligerent, snarky, and without respect for the remainder of their interaction. He probably got a woody in the process. And naturally, the lady would then show her irritation with him and his antics. He tells us how he had a dinner reservation, as if we're suppose to ooo and ahh over it. But all that was was him trying to show his "superiority" over this boothling. All it showed me was how he never really learned to respect women.
    She wasn't doing her job.

Her job description does not involve forcing a Diamond member to give up his card because it's "expired", especially if he's still an active Diamond in the system.

The way Rob Singer feels Caesars employees should treat their upper tier members is not equivalent with the reality of the job description.

I do realize you haven't had a job in many decades, but understand that not all of us can just sponge off our children.

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post

She wasn't doing her job.

Her job description does not involve forcing a Diamond member to give up his card because it's "expired", especially if he's still an active Diamond in the system.

The way Rob Singer feels Caesars employees should treat their upper tier members is not equivalent with the reality of the job description.

I do realize you haven't had a job in many decades, but understand that not all of us can just sponge off our children.
    It's about time you defend yourself against the near impossible to beat combattant known as Singer. With your thick skin, wit and way with words, you of all people could really have a good battle, against the troll king/legend. Unlike Kew and Comrade Dietz who get annihilated on the regular.

Being upper tier doesn't mean shit these days. So easy to achieve those statuses these days with so many beatable slots out there.

Thread Information