Thread: College Basketball in Las vegas

There are 5 college basketball conference tournaments in Las Vegas this year, WCC, WAC, Big West, Mountain West, and Pac 12. That means every major college basketball team west of the Rockies heads to Vegas at the same time. in addition, Las Vegas will host one of the March Madness regions. A lot of college basketball in Las Vegas, if that is your thing.

Now a little bit of a gripe. With the transfer portal and red shirting, players already has 5-6 years of eligibility. I don't know how many people realize it, but because of the covid year, every player playing at that time was granted and additional year of eligibility. There are players eligible for up to 7 years, if they had injuries and were redshirted and such. Some of these college "kids" are approaching 30 years old when their college careers end.

Now speaking of these kids in their mid to late 20's playing college basketball, the Arizona Wildcats have 7 European players and one player from Africa. They aren't a college team made up of college athletes. They are an international team of players in their 20's wearing a uniform that says Arizona. They are equivalent to the European leagues that players go to when they aren't good enough for the NBA. Find me a legitimate Arizona college student that can say "Yeah, I am in the same class as that player".

The only reason I care, is because one of my favorite things is when some relatively small school, like Oral Roberts, Liberty, Fairleigh Dickenson, Colgate, Texas Corpus Christie, Yale Furman, Iona, Kenshaw State or any other smaller school with REAL student athletes playing basketball upsets one of the major teams. Now we are asking these real college student athletes to beat professional teams made up of professional international players, like the Arizona Wildcats.

Thread Information