Originally Posted by PositiveVariance View Post

Overall, I generally stay away from politics. Generally on the most controversial issues, I tend to leam Conservative. Then there are a lot of issues I dont have a strong opinion on either way, primarily because I am not interested in taking the time to do the research that is needed. For example, Global Warming, I just don't know enough about it to take a hard stance. I feel someone would have to put in at least 20 hours of research to form a good opinion about it, probably far more --which I am not willing to do.

Something like the death penality, I believe around 80% of Republicans are for it. I am STRONGLY against it. I feel no man, or jury has the right to kill another man. Besides, it's more painfull to sit behind bars on Death Row for the rest of your life. If they are in general population, it's not so bad. I would possibly change my opinion if there was a way that we could determine guilt of death penality cases with 100% certainty (The kind of certainty we have against Singers $1.5 Million VP claim (⁠•⁠‿⁠•⁠)) Even if 1 out of 10,000 is wrongly convicted in a DP case, that isnt acceptable. Almost 200 former Death Roe inmates have been set free. Without technology, they would have been cooked, jabbed, or shot, depending on your states method to end their life.

What is funny is probably 75% of my friends or close associates are Democrats/Liberal. None of the people I hang out with have really strong political beliefs, because it bores me and I won't hang out with them if the bulk of their conversation is politics.
You can read from people who have studied global warming for 20 years. You can find many people who have done this. I was very aware of it 20 years ago as many were. Now you can believe it is all political but that is absurd. One side you have a 99% of successful scientists agreeing with and other 1% you have Youtube quacks.(made up #s but probably not that far off these days) I don't think they're all grifters some genuinely believe their nonsense. Take any scientific position that impacts society and you'll find someone with their biases against it. Those who strongly identify with independence tend to follow those types. You know, the rebels!

Not sure what to make of the death penalty. Lots of hard right people not for it because they don't like the state having that much power. I agree with your stance.

The problem with politics is most people who are strongly on one-side identify so strongly they have to defend every little thing with whataboutisms. They're unable to take the criticism like they should. Simpletons.