Thread: Formula One drawing controversy for calling the main garage of their race the "Paddock Building"

Paddock is a word you don't use in Las Vegas -- unless you're talking about the tragic mass shooting on October 1, 2017. That shooting, committed by insane video poker player Stephen Paddock, remains the deadliest one in US history.

However, apparently this did not click with the owners of Formula One, as they called a prominent garage and pit the "Paddock Building", which is apparently a common term in racing.

They have since caved to pressure to change the name of the building, claiming they weren't aware of the negative association with that word in Vegas.

The Paddock Building on Koval and Harmon, referenced as “the heartbeat” of the November race, may see a name change soon as [employee Stephanie] Allen said Las Vegas Grand Prix just recently became aware of the similarity to the name of the 1 October shooter.

“The word Paddock is a word that’s actually used globally. It’s a technical term that’s used for the pit or garage building. So, that’s why it’s been used,” Allen said.
    Article: https://www.8newsnow.com/news/f1-res...ng-negotiated/

In other F1 news reported in that article:

- They have not yet solved the transportation issue, which is not trivial. The strip and roads around it will be closed for 3 days, and there is concern that the 105,000 spectators and 100,000 employees at the hotels, clubs, and restaurants will have difficulty getting to where they need to go.

- F1's threat to erect barriers and shine lights in the eyes of patrons at venues which didn't pay a super-expensive "licensing fee" was not actually in their plans. However, they admit they will be erecting these barriers and bright lights -- just because they need them for the race, and it has nothing to do with who pays their licensing fees. Yeah, right.

- F1 wants $40 million BACK of the $80 million they spent on the road "improvements" to make it race-worthy, claiming that Clark County will benefit from these improvements during the rest of the year. The county does not want to pay that much, and negotiations are ongoing.

Here is where there will be temporary pedestrian bridges, to allow people to get around during the race:

Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

So 27,000+ ChET and Venetian guests and a similar number of hotel workers will enter via three temporary bridges. Glad they thought this one out. Oh, they are walkways, even better. Talk about being held hostage by ChET. Lots of valet on Koval. Reminds me of a movie.

Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Paddock is a word you don't use in Las Vegas -- unless you're talking about the tragic mass shooting on October 1, 2017.
    That next weekend, I discarded all my Matlock DVDs. Out of an abundance of caution.

Originally Posted by Don Perignom View Post
    Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Paddock is a word you don't use in Las Vegas -- unless you're talking about the tragic mass shooting on October 1, 2017.
    That next weekend, I discarded all my Matlock DVDs. Out of an abundance of caution.
    Good idea.

Along the same lines the new term for padlocks is now them / they locks.

Thread Information