This is year 2 of the current expanded baseball playoff format. Under this format the top 2 division winners receive a bye of the first round 3 game series.

It is a small sample size of only 2 years but it doesn't appear that receiving this bye is advantageous to the #1 and #2 seeds.

Last year the Dodgers were the #1 seed and Braves #2 and seemed to be far and away the best two teams in the NL. Many people were looking forward to a Braves-Dodgers finals showdown. Both teams lost and didn't make the finals. Both lost in 4 games. Both lost to division rivals that they had finished 12+ games in front of and had decisively beaten in head to head match ups during the year.

This year is repeating with the Dodgers (#2 seed) and Baltimore (number 1 seed) having been swept out in 3 games. The Braves a number 1 seed are currently down 2 games to 1.

It is easy to come up with some reasons for this phenomenon.

1.) that extra rest by missing that first 3 round series is NOT advantageous. These number 1 and 2 seeds locked up their playoff positions early with weeks left in the season in most cases, so they already were able to rest players down the stretch. They don't need even more rest. Makes it hard to get back into prime form. I don't think you turn it on like a light switch. Now the Braves recognized this and tried to combat this by playing "simulated games" during their bye. But simulated games just aren't the same. they don't have that emotion.

2) the second factor I think reeking havoc is the 5 game format. With a 5 game format if the away team can steal one of the first 2 games they have taken the advantage away. All they need do is win their home games (3 & 4) and the series never makes it back to the lower seed stadium for game 5. Home field advantage negated.

Maybe in the end it is a good thing. Levels the playing field type thing. But I have to think MLB is probably starting to get concerned that the teams that rack up 100+ wins during the year are all being eliminated in 3 or 4 games of the first series, which they are supposed to have an advantage...double advantage actually of rest and home feild.