Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 286

Thread: It's not Singer's $1.2 million, but it will have to suffice

  1. #241
    Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    To the TRAINED eye:
    pure gold has a more rich yellow color. Gold plated items might have a different shade, often a bit paler or slightly different in hue. Also, solid gold tends to have a more uniform shine and luster compared to plated items, which could fade or appear dull in certain areas.

    Especially when you're talking about something like a watch, especially one that has been owned and worn for a while (like mine), plated would look pretty bad compared to solid.


    In the same way that a trained eye may tell by just looking the composition of the gold, for example 14K, 18K, and what sort of alloys might be in there, or the difference between platinum and 18K white gold, so the trained eye may detect plated, especially on something like a watch.


    Yes, to be certain you'd test, but doesn't mean that visually those bogus gold tone fake watches wouldn't give themselves right away.
    The only reason plating will have different colors depends on purity. Then whatever other metals make up the mix. Example being Krugerrands are alloyed with copper giving them a pinkish hue. American eagles are alloyed with silver giving them a brighter whiter finish. Canadian Maples are pure giving them the appearance of natural yellow gold.

    If an experienced person could tell an item was plated just by looking at it then gold jewelry buyers wouldn't be spending $30k on x-ray spectrometers.

    By the way that Sigma you posted a pic of doesn't perform a density test for verification. You need to upgrade to the Sigma Pro because there's tons of fakes out there that can show good on the original Sigma.....RIP
    FraudJ's word is worth less than the prop cash in Singer's safe...RIP

  2. #242
    Originally Posted by accountinquestion View Post
    Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    Those videos A.Wolf posted are just stainless watches. The gold plated ones look ridiculously fake even from a distance.

    For example - I posted a picture of a watch worth about a quarter million dollars on the counter of the bar at a wraparound suite at Cosmopolitan. You couldn't recognize the watch or even the room, does that mean anything?

    It just comes down to relative experience. You and Wolf know nothing about timepieces. You also aren't familiar with suites in Vegas. And apparently you're saying that you'd be fooled by a gold plated bar unless you examined it carefully.

    The value of the timepieces I have acquired have gone up over time far more than gold, so if you'd spent your money on a few vintage Daytonas (assuming you weren't fooled into buying fakes, which it sounds like you are easily fooled), you'd have MDawg level money now instead of just a tiny increase in gold.
    Dude you're an idiot if you think gold plating looks different at a distance. If it is scratched but otherwise it looks like gold because it is gold. That's why there are machines to test. Otherwise they have to damage the item to pierce the plating.
    My cock at any distance looks like a liter bottle hanging between my legs

  3. #243
    Originally Posted by Seedvalue View Post
    My cock at any distance looks like a liter bottle hanging between my legs
    A man was hospitalized with elephantiasis of the penis: his member stood up like a flag pole as he sat in the hospital bed, almost reaching the ceiling.

    He was being driven to distraction by a fly that perched on the tip of his manhood, walking in circles and biting him: he summoned a nurse.

    She shimmied up his staff, trying to reach the fly, but slipped down; this happened several times but it was too slippery to scale.

    "That's OK' he said, panting heavily, "Do it a couple more times and I'll blast the fucker to the ceiling."
    What, Me Worry?

  4. #244
    Originally Posted by Seedvalue View Post
    Originally Posted by accountinquestion View Post
    Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    Those videos A.Wolf posted are just stainless watches. The gold plated ones look ridiculously fake even from a distance.

    For example - I posted a picture of a watch worth about a quarter million dollars on the counter of the bar at a wraparound suite at Cosmopolitan. You couldn't recognize the watch or even the room, does that mean anything?

    It just comes down to relative experience. You and Wolf know nothing about timepieces. You also aren't familiar with suites in Vegas. And apparently you're saying that you'd be fooled by a gold plated bar unless you examined it carefully.

    The value of the timepieces I have acquired have gone up over time far more than gold, so if you'd spent your money on a few vintage Daytonas (assuming you weren't fooled into buying fakes, which it sounds like you are easily fooled), you'd have MDawg level money now instead of just a tiny increase in gold.
    Dude you're an idiot if you think gold plating looks different at a distance. If it is scratched but otherwise it looks like gold because it is gold. That's why there are machines to test. Otherwise they have to damage the item to pierce the plating.
    My cock at any distance looks like a liter bottle hanging between my legs
    This guy has the biggest dick, makes the most money, an expert on world affairs, is the hardest worker, yet posts here on a site with 12 people. Yep, totally believable. Fucking clown ass MFír lol

  5. #245
    Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
    Originally Posted by Seedvalue View Post
    Originally Posted by accountinquestion View Post

    Dude you're an idiot if you think gold plating looks different at a distance. If it is scratched but otherwise it looks like gold because it is gold. That's why there are machines to test. Otherwise they have to damage the item to pierce the plating.
    My cock at any distance looks like a liter bottle hanging between my legs
    This guy has the biggest dick, makes the most money, an expert on world affairs, is the hardest worker, yet posts here on a site with 12 people. Yep, totally believable. Fucking clown ass MFír lol
    I also eat toll house cookies and where Leviís lover

  6. #246
    Those who want it may have all the plated stuff. I'll stick to the solid precious metals.
    I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.

    MDawg Adventures carry on at: https://www.truepassage.com/forums/f.../46-IPlayVegas

  7. #247
    I was hoping for a bit more from the Dawg wrt Max's interesting input. So that my own questions might be a bit more apt.

    Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    If an experienced person could tell an item was plated just by looking at it then gold jewelry buyers wouldn't be spending $30k on x-ray spectrometers.
    What do pawn shops thus use?

    Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    By the way that Sigma you posted a pic of doesn't perform a density test for verification. You need to upgrade to the Sigma Pro because there's tons of fakes out there that can show good on the original Sigma.....RIP
    Does the pro version do a density test, and, if so, how?

    The Sigma Metalytics Tester operates by measuring the bulk metal comprising a bar or coin and alerting you of its purity percentage. Using electromagnetic waves that penetrate deeply into the coin or bar, plating and surface features are completely ignored, and the main body of metal is assessed.

  8. #248
    Originally Posted by 1Hit1der View Post
    I was hoping for a bit more from the Dawg wrt Max's interesting input. So that my own questions might be a bit more apt.


    What do pawn shops thus use?


    Does the pro version do a density test, and, if so, how?

    The Sigma Metalytics Tester operates by measuring the bulk metal comprising a bar or coin and alerting you of its purity percentage. Using electromagnetic waves that penetrate deeply into the coin or bar, plating and surface features are completely ignored, and the main body of metal is assessed.
    With a Sigma tester you have to select what you are testing. There are many selections to cover just about any coin and common metal alloys such as Sterling and what not.

    The Sigma does not give a composition breakdown. You need an x-ray spectrometer for that.

    A Sigma Pro performs a density test by providing a calibrated space to place the item after it is verified to be what you suspect it to be. So only good for coins, small bars and such.

    A lot of pawn and coin shops are using Sigmas. The more serious ones use xrf guns. Of course one can always perform old fashioned acid tests but they cause damage to the item in order to collect the sample.
    FraudJ's word is worth less than the prop cash in Singer's safe...RIP

  9. #249
    Wonderful answer.

    I'm not so wonderful, so will add that it's too bad that KJ can't thus answer stuff, in the over-and-done-with sense. Ha.


    1Hit1der
    1Hit1der is online now
    Bronze

    Join Date
    Nov 2023
    Posts
    10

  10. #250
    The coin shops have some kind of device they use to test gold.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

  11. #251
    I have a diamond tester that also detects moissanite, the Sigma tester, and one of the acid gold testers. However, these are mostly toys for me. When I buy a watch or piece of jewelry if I am not buying it from the authorized dealer or a trusted and known dealer, then I have the watch or jewelry examined and authenticated by a known watchmaker or jeweler before I pay for it. I might have the item authenticated anyway no matter where I buy it, partly because if I am insuring it I need an appraisal.

    Same as if I buy a piece of art I have it authenticated by an expert.

    In any case, the combination of that regular Sigma tester plus weighing the coin and having it come in at its expected weight is enough to authenticate it, but besides that I bought all of those Eagles from trusted and known dealers.
    I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.

    MDawg Adventures carry on at: https://www.truepassage.com/forums/f.../46-IPlayVegas

  12. #252
    One time I was walking by some pawn shop on or around Fremont street and some guy came up to me with some gold jewelry wanting to sell it. He mentioned a price and I told him that if the pawn shop offered him something for the stuff I'd pay him his price, because it was pretty low. We went into the pawn shop and the pawn shop authenticated all the stuff and offered him a certain amount, I gave him a little more right then and there and we were done.

    This is as opposed to the guys you see in downtown L.A. trying to sell jewelry on the street invariably that stuff is not precious metal and is worthless.

    I've also been approached fresh off the tables by foreign sounding guys trying to sell a watch, and even from a glance I can tell the watch is fake and at best plated if even plated maybe just gold tone. This happens at more like Station Casinos or Palms, not so much on the Strip at the majors.
    Last edited by MDawg; 11-30-2023 at 11:26 AM.
    I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.

    MDawg Adventures carry on at: https://www.truepassage.com/forums/f.../46-IPlayVegas

  13. #253

  14. #254
    Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    Can you tell the difference between platinum and 18K white gold even from a distance?



    It's not hard at all for those in the know.
    Got a great deal on this one
    $20 at an estate sale.....

    Name:  IMG_20231130_090808190~2.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  2.93 MB
    Laces Out!__DAN!

  15. #255
    Even without the horrific finish, just look at the Date from even a distance. And the Day isn't even set evenly in the window.

    On the two hands the lumen isn't set an equal distance.

    And so on.
    I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.

    MDawg Adventures carry on at: https://www.truepassage.com/forums/f.../46-IPlayVegas

  16. #256
    Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    Can you tell the difference between platinum and 18K white gold even from a distance?



    It's not hard at all for those in the know.
    Yes. Platinum has a smooth bezel :P

    There are some Stainless watches that trade higher than precious metal watches of the same make. The "hype" watches are all stainless...

    Name:  P_20231104_014439.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  2.42 MB

  17. #257
    Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    One time I was walking by some pawn shop on or around Fremont street and some guy came up to me with some gold jewelry wanting to sell it. He mentioned a price and I told him that if the pawn shop offered him something for the stuff I'd pay him his price, because it was pretty low. We went into the pawn shop and the pawn shop authenticated all the stuff and offered him a certain amount, I gave him a little more right then and there and we were done.

    This is as opposed to the guys you see in downtown L.A. trying to sell jewelry on the street invariably that stuff is not precious metal and is worthless.

    I've also been approached fresh off the tables by foreign sounding guys trying to sell a watch, and even from a glance I can tell the watch is fake and at best plated if even plated maybe just gold tone. This happens at more like Station Casinos or Palms, not so much on the Strip at the majors.
    Fake gold rings have been a racket in Vegas for years. Some of those gift shops on Fremont would stamp junk rings as 14 carat gold and secretly sell them to street hustlers for $10. The street hustlers would get upwards $50 to $100 for the rings from sucker tourists in the casinos. They played the "I went broke what will you give me for it?" routine. They rubbed cigarette ashes in the stamp so it looked like the ring had been worn.

    I knew one hustler, Barry, that had his own 14 carat stamp.

    Vegas is the perfect spot for the hustle because the tourists are in town for only a few days.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

  18. #258
    Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    One time I was walking by some pawn shop on or around Fremont street and some guy came up to me with some gold jewelry wanting to sell it. He mentioned a price and I told him that if the pawn shop offered him something for the stuff I'd pay him his price, because it was pretty low. We went into the pawn shop and the pawn shop authenticated all the stuff and offered him a certain amount, I gave him a little more right then and there and we were done.

    This is as opposed to the guys you see in downtown L.A. trying to sell jewelry on the street invariably that stuff is not precious metal and is worthless.

    I've also been approached fresh off the tables by foreign sounding guys trying to sell a watch, and even from a glance I can tell the watch is fake and at best plated if even plated maybe just gold tone. This happens at more like Station Casinos or Palms, not so much on the Strip at the majors.
    I find this hard to believe. No one with a storefront is going to act as a verification service for two randoms off the street to do a transaction with each other. Especially a pawn shop. At the very least you would be told to fuck off by the shop owner.
    FraudJ's word is worth less than the prop cash in Singer's safe...RIP

  19. #259
    Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    One time I was walking by some pawn shop on or around Fremont street and some guy came up to me with some gold jewelry wanting to sell it. He mentioned a price and I told him that if the pawn shop offered him something for the stuff I'd pay him his price, because it was pretty low. We went into the pawn shop and the pawn shop authenticated all the stuff and offered him a certain amount, I gave him a little more right then and there and we were done.

    This is as opposed to the guys you see in downtown L.A. trying to sell jewelry on the street invariably that stuff is not precious metal and is worthless.

    I've also been approached fresh off the tables by foreign sounding guys trying to sell a watch, and even from a glance I can tell the watch is fake and at best plated if even plated maybe just gold tone. This happens at more like Station Casinos or Palms, not so much on the Strip at the majors.
    I find this hard to believe. No one with a storefront is going to act as a verification service for two randoms off the street to do a transaction with each other. Especially a pawn shop. At the very least you would be told to fuck off by the shop owner.
    That and....Mdawg downtown????????

  20. #260
    Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    Even without the horrific finish, just look at the Date from even a distance. And the Day isn't even set evenly in the window.

    On the two hands the lumen isn't set an equal distance.

    And so on.
    Pffft

    I checked it with my Thermo-Sigma3.

    Tolerance is 73.8 to 74į

    There ya have it ....

    Name:  IMG_20231130_152226920~2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  2.74 MB
    Laces Out!__DAN!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How to Make a Million Dollars
    By monet in forum Whatever's On Your Mind
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-21-2021, 02:45 PM
  2. Million Dollar Blackjack
    By kewlJ in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: 10-03-2018, 12:02 PM
  3. one million hand simulation
    By regnis in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 05-29-2017, 11:11 PM
  4. Million dollar winner
    By Nash in forum California/Western US Casinos
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2015, 10:33 AM
  5. 1 million dollar drawing
    By Perdition in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 02:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •