Thread: NFL's LA problem

They built this beautiful almost 5 billion dollar stadium and I was there for an Eagles game earlier this year, it really is something. Los Angeles is the second most populous city in the United States and has two NFL franchises which share this stadium and neither team seems to have the fan base to fill this stadium. More often than not there are just as many if not more away fans at these games.

I first noticed this with the Rams hosting the 49ers and the Chargers hosting the Raiders over the past couple years. I figured it was a geographic phenomenon with those division teams being nearby by and fans willing to travel. But now we see Dallas and Green Bay and the Eagles all have more fans that the home team and tonight's game between The Chargers and Baltimore there were just as many Ravens fans as charger fans. Baltimore!!!! 3000 miles away.

Can the second largest city with a population of 4 million people not support 2 NFL teams? Can they even support one?

I don't expect any changes being a 5 million dollar stadium was built. And maybe the NFL doesn't even care. Hey if the stadium is full, what difference does it make who's fans they are?

I don't know....seems an odd situation to me.
    Dan Druff: "there's no question that MDawg has been an obnoxious braggart, and has rubbed a ton of people the wrong way. There's something missing from his stories. Either they're fabricated, grossly exaggerated, or largely incomplete".

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    They built this beautiful almost 5 billion dollar stadium and I was there for an Eagles game earlier this year, it really is something. Los Angeles is the second most populous city in the United States and has two NFL franchises which share this stadium and neither team seems to have the fan base to fill this stadium. More often than not there are just as many if not more away fans at these games.

I first noticed this with the Rams hosting the 49ers and the Chargers hosting the Raiders over the past couple years. I figured it was a geographic phenomenon with those division teams being nearby by and fans willing to travel. But now we see Dallas and Green Bay and the Eagles all have more fans that the home team and tonight's game between The Chargers and Baltimore there were just as many Ravens fans as charger fans. Baltimore!!!! 3000 miles away.

Can the second largest city with a population of 4 million people not support 2 NFL teams? Can they even support one?

I don't expect any changes being a 5 million dollar stadium was built. And maybe the NFL doesn't even care. Hey if the stadium is full, what difference does it make who's fans they are?

Many years ago both the Raiders and the Rams left LA because they couldn't fill the stadium. LA was without a football team for a lot of years. Now it looks like history is repeating itself.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post

Many years ago both the Raiders and the Rams left LA because they couldn't fill the stadium. LA was without a football team for a lot of years. Now it looks like history is repeating itself.
    Best of yesterday's TV games.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Thread Information