Thread: Extraordinary NFL Results --

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post
    I didn't have a computer or any way to calculate VP when I started. I knew that 9/6 jacks was 99.54 and FPDW was 100.7, card counting was about a 1-2% advantage, and progressive slots and VP were good, but I couldn't afford to play those games. $20 was a lot of money to me, luckily for me I always had a Job where my meals were free.

With Flush Attack I didn't need any math to clearly see it was a huge +EV situation. The first time I played it was a few-hour session and I made a whopping $70. It wasn't the amount of money I made that thrilled me, it was the why and how I made that $70. I hit nothing good other than a few flushes during Attack mode. Once I factored in the low bankroll needed I could see the potential and taste the freedom. It was many months later, perhaps a year when Card Player Magazine published the exact numbers and strategy. I wasn't far off on the strategy or my estimation.
    After a few obviously good promotions having to wing strategies and estimating values, I realized I needed a computer and some VP software. My first VP software was inaccurate when cross-referenceed with whatever I found published.

I finally got a copy of VP tutor, it took like 48 hours to run a game. I spent hours making my own strategies checking each had individually. The next computer I purchased got calculating games down to an hour.

I remember how thrilled I was when I got a laptop that did it in 15 minutes(a huge investment close to 4k). Now I could run out to my car and calculate games or situations on the fly. Eventually, a portable printer so I could print my own "payroll checks"

Whenever it came to reel slots there was a substantial amount of educated guessing on the values.
    I didn't computerize until 2002. For video poker I did everything with a calculator and scratch pad, except for the few games you could buy strategy cards for.

I remember that Lenny Frome article on Flush Attack in Card Player Magazine.

I did my first empirical study on a slot machine in 96/97. It was on my first slot play, the quarter Piggy Bankin' game. I started out playing when there was at least 50 coins in the bank. Since I was making a healthy profit I kept lowering the number. I wondered just how low I could go so I collected stats on 20K spins.

The main game had a 69% return.
    The bank averaged breaking every 90 spins.
    The Piggy Bank started at 10 coins so was worth 10/90 = 11.1%
    1 unit was added to the bank every 11 spins, 1/11 = 9.1%
    That totals to a payback of 89.2%
    So a bank with 21 coins in it put the game at 100% plus 9% meter movement. I stayed well above 21 coins in the bank.

A few years later par sheet information showed the quarter pigs returned 89%, which was the number I came up with. I've been using the same methodology on slots ever since. When you don't have any other information an empirical study is called for.
    Last edited by mickeycrimm; 12-06-2023 at 04:14 PM.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Thread Information