Thread: Bad Results

Well, at Gamblingforums, where I post my contest results, I gave a couple of spiels early on about LMS or "Survivor" contests being decided by fate more than skill. But losing still hurts. I think it hurts more when having the best of it results in elimination.

For example, I have been eliminated from all Survivor contests due to the Bengals winning outright last night. My last three losses, eliminating me from all these kinds of contests, were 10, 6, and 10 point favorites, which are hard to come by in Survivor contests at this stage of the season. The worst elimination was in TopBet, where I entered the week with 34 people left out of 1600 in search of a 25K prize.

The odds against a 10 point, 6 point, and 10 point fave all losing consecutively are in the ballpark of 40-1 to 45-1. Brutal. The final two losses featured starting QBs biting the dust, first Pickett in the first quarter for the Steelers, then Sunshine last night.

Rarely am I affected by a bad contest result (or any result for that matter), but these bothered me. I had substantial amounts on the Bengals, both straight and teased, but these were actual normal plays, not hedges. I didn't moneyline them, which I should have done. I did make some extra money live betting heading into OT, but this was a real disappointing outcome.

I have been doing this a long time, but getting eliminated with 10, 6, and 10 point faves is a new one for me. Hell, even having those kinds of faves available to me at this point in the season was new to me.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Well, at Gamblingforums, where I post my contest results, I gave a couple of spiels early on about LMS or "Survivor" contests being decided by fate more than skill. But losing still hurts. I think it hurts more when having the best of it results in elimination.

For example, I have been eliminated from all Survivor contests due to the Bengals winning outright last night. My last three losses, eliminating me from all these kinds of contests, were 10, 6, and 10 point favorites, which are hard to come by in Survivor contests at this stage of the season. The worst elimination was in TopBet, where I entered the week with 34 people left out of 1600 in search of a 25K prize.

The odds against a 10 point, 6 point, and 10 point fave all losing consecutively are in the ballpark of 40-1 to 45-1. Brutal. The final two losses featured starting QBs biting the dust, first Pickett in the first quarter for the Steelers, then Sunshine last night.

Rarely am I affected by a bad contest result (or any result for that matter), but these bothered me. I had substantial amounts on the Bengals, both straight and teased, but these were actual normal plays, not hedges. I didn't moneyline them, which I should have done. I did make some extra money live betting heading into OT, but this was a real disappointing outcome.

I have been doing this a long time, but getting eliminated with 10, 6, and 10 point faves is a new one for me. Hell, even having those kinds of faves available to me at this point in the season was new to me.
    You should have consulted with me.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post

You should have consulted with me.

Obviously. LOL. I hated all the teams I took, but at this stage of the season, you don't have much in the way of options (after you use a team once, you cannot use them again). I loved the stat when the backup QB was in after Lawrence was hurt -- number of game-winning drives by Beathard in career -- same as Blutarsky's GPA in Animal House.

By the way, my co-host of the Walters book presentation is now 43-22 ATS in the NFL BetOnline contest, which is 20th out of 22,000. I keep waiting for my co-host to crash and burn, but so far it's not happening. The only loss this last week was by half a point with the Saints.

I am at 1299th.

Thread Information