Thread: interesting hedging opportunities

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In December I made 2 wagers for NFL teams to win their conferences.

Ravens $400 @ +300 (return $1600) and Detroit Lions $365 @ 8-1 (return $3285).

I now have slight hedging opportunities on both.

The Ravens wager is small money so probably not worth hedging, But I see 2 options. I could bet the Chiefs at +155 For about $600. This would be a total wager of $1000, guaranteeing a return of $1530 or $1600 for a profit of $530 - $600. If it were bigger money I would consider this. Option 2 is I could wager $260 on the Chiefs @ +155, guaranteeing a break even wager if Chiefs win or +1000 if Ravens win which I think is most likely. Again, not really big enough money to be concerned about losing so I will most likely just let my bet ride basically getting +300 on a team that is currently -175 for the game.

The Lions wager is a little more intriguing to me. I made this wager because I knew neither the Eagles (whom I root for), nor the Cowboys had a chance to beat 49ers. They both lost badly to SF during the year and would again in a playoff meeting. If any team could beat them it would be the Lions. I don't really think the Lions will but they have a shot because the Lions have a good run defense (weak in pass defense), so they will force Purdy to have a decent game. And they will put pressure on Purdy like Baltimore did when Purdy threw 4 interceptions, so we will see if he is up to it.

I would like to hedge this game but betting the 49ers at -320 isn't very appealing. Had the 49ers lost to the Packers Saturday, which looked a real possibility throughout the game there would have been a real hedging opportunity to guarantee a win of decent money, but I don't see much now. It just looks like I have a +250 team for the game at 8-1. which is good value. Good value on both games if I don't hedge.

Am I missing anything, that could present a better opportunity for my situation? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?
    Last edited by kewlJ; 01-22-2024 at 02:13 PM.
    Dan Druff: "there's no question that MDawg has been an obnoxious braggart, and has rubbed a ton of people the wrong way. There's something missing from his stories. Either they're fabricated, grossly exaggerated, or largely incomplete".

Thread Information