Thread: Are you a good poker actor/performer/artist?

You can't deny it, but acting is one of the skills of playing live poker -- in cash or ring games and in tournaments. When your opponents see you acting they can be reading your "tells." If you are a good actor they can't see your tells. But good actors give off tells even when you don't think you are giving off tells.

One of the masters at reading tells and players is Daniel Negreanu. One of the reasons why Dan strikes up a conversation with players before a game starts and during a game is to find out who you are, what your profession is, and from that he is likely to get a "read" on your acting ability or your "tells."

I played with Dan once in a World Poker Tour event -- this was about six years ago. "What do you do?" he asked. "I'm in TV news." That told him everything he needed to know.

What he didn't know at the time is that WPT tournament was the very first poker tournament I had ever played in. I was invited because it was a WPT Celebrity Fundraiser tournament and I was one of the "celebrities" invited. The regular list of pros were there and they sat me at a table with five of the big name pros -- I guess I was the sacrificial lamb. In fact, it was the first time in my life I had ever sat at a real live poker table. I had played online a few times in "free tournaments" but never in a real tournament and never for real money. (I outlasted Daniel Negreanu in that tourney, by the way. And that amazed me.)

Negreanu also talked with the other players he didn't know already. He is friendly and charming -- an all around "nice guy" -- but he is getting information from every conversation. He's a very, very smart player.

Over the years I've picked up how people act or perform, and I've read a few books about tells and acting at poker.

Are you a good actor or performer? I'm pretty bad at it. I'm too honest. When someone asks me if I have AK I say "yes." What they don't know is that sometimes I say yes when the answer is really "no."

I don't play enough to really have tells unless I'm all-out bluffing (rarely) or have the absolute lock hand. I hate the game, and I'm more of a nervous wreck holding AA than JJ, so I'm sure that throws some people. Why? Because my pissed-off-meter will be higher if I lose with the AA.

Negreanu is doing what "psychics" have been doing for decades -- cold reading. If you watch The Mentalist, you get a glimpse of what a master reader can do. Negreanu throws out questions and lines and probes your reactions. It's like a game of hot-and-cold.

When anyone asks what I have in a poker tournament, I always answer, "Power." I must have said that a thousand times, and I never deviate from it.

By the way, I just played in a charity tournament for the James Randi Foundation last week. Pretty wild. Many of the people playing were genius type folks who didn't really know how to play. Another group were professional magicians (Randi is a magician), and they REALLY know how to play. So you got whipsawed between people who had no clue and people who had every clue. It was fun, but it gave me a headache.

Don't feel bad about poker. It can be very stressful when you play above your regular "limits" or you are at the final table. One reason why I stopped playing tourneys is the stress level. I had a good run of making it to the final table at daily tourneys here in LA but there is a lot of stress. Low level cash games are fun. If you lose a hundred its not a big deal and you can easily recover the next time. But you could buy into a tourney and never see a payday.

Maybe we could put a full-size bedsheet over our heads and bodies with two cutouts for eyes and a pair of sunglasses at live cash & tourney games? (Probably would look like a bunch of shady Klu Klux Klan guys playing, though.)

Alan? Did you keep up with the WSOP main event this year? Were you familiar with that controversial tournament ruling between Gaelle Baumann and Andras Koroknai? Seems like that one event had an enormous impact on the entire rest of the tourney..

I missed it Count Room. I'd appreciate a summary of what happened.

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2012/0...vent-12929.htm - SUMMARY

http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...ost.208172.htm - ORIGINAL INCIDENT REPORT

http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...hips.39088.htm - BAUMANN OUT 10th

http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...hips.39082.htm - HILLE OUT 11th

A lot of people were excited to see five women survive to be in the top 100 in this year's WSOP main event. Many were hopeful that at least one woman would make history and be the first woman since Barbara Enright (1995) to make the final table. (Keep in mind that today's WSOP events are much larger than in the 90's and it's more of a daunting task to reach that final table.)

Anyway, two women were busted out of the WSOP main event in 10th and 11th place (SOO close!), and the guy who busted them both out was Andras Koroknai, who benefitted from that controversial ruling against one of the very same ladies he busted out.

I suspect this ruling had a huge 'butterfly effect' on the entire rest of the tournament because if one or two ladies had made the final table ESPN would have had some landmark coverage of 'ladies in poker' this year. Can you guess how many tens or hundreds of millions in extra revenues that would have brought in for the gaming industry with throngs of new rake-paying ladies saying, "Hey! I could be next!"?

One of the premier live poker forums has already had a 23-page forum thread on this controversial ruling:
    http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29...mucks-1222370/

Thread Information