Thread: Did I make a good or bad fold?

I'm playing in a $200 buy-in cash game tonight. I had a good run up to this point and built up a stack of about $545. I am in the big blind with KcQc which are decent cards but nothing to get overly excited about pre flop.

There was one player who was two places before the button who called the big blind for $5 and the small blind added $2 to call.

The flop was K, 8, 3 rainbow with NO clubs.

The small blind checked.
    I bet $15.
    The other player raised to $50.
    The action came back to the small blind who went all-in for $110.

I folded and here's why:

1. Someone might have had AK.
    2. Someone might have had a two pair.
    3. Someone might have had a set.

After I folded the player in middle position folded and the small blind took the pot.

If the small blind hit two pair or was bluffing, perhaps if I had raised pre-flop I would have prompted the small blind to fold -- and then again, maybe not.

But the player in middle position might not have folded to a pre-flop raise.

At this point, I didn't want to jeopardize the big stack I had built up, and shortly after this pot I left with a $300 profit intact.

But the question remains, did I make a good or bad fold? Don't hold back anything, please.

Was the table short-handed with just those three players to begin with?

EDIT - Looks like there might have been at least 5-6 players because of your button description, not sure. (still a beginner)

Originally Posted by Count Room View Post
    Was the table short-handed with just those three players to begin with?

EDIT - Looks like there might have been at least 5-6 players because of your button description, not sure. (still a beginner)
    All nine seats were filled. Players were relatively conservative and I was getting a lot of respect because they saw I played strong cards and I was not overly aggressive on my initial betting. Usually, I would make a small bet and then reraise or push on the river. For this reason I am discounting the possibility of a bluff.

Your commentaries seem more lucid than mine because of my relative lack of skill, but my gut says "good fold".

In an email I was told that I should have raised pre flop. And, I would have. But at this point, I wanted to protect my $300+ profit on the evening and didn't want to waste any chips. it's possible that a raise pre flop would have prompted K3, K8, or 83 to fold, but nothing short of a giant raise would get a pocket pair to fold.

Well....your wife might need a printer/scanner and other accessories to go with the computer, so it's still a good fold HAH!

I fold this almost every time. The only time I call in this situation is if I've been at the table awhile and the guy who went all-in has been there the entire time and has been taking a beating and looks as if he wants someone to send him home. Even then, with someone to act after me, I have to consider folding. So this is a 98% fold for me.

Thread Information