Thread: Joel Connable Died

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am in shock and disbelief. Joel Connable who worked at KCAL/KCBS with me for several years, has died. Joel currently was anchoring in Seattle at KOMO. He was 39.

Joel was an insulin-dependent diabetic and back in the days when we worked together we discussed diabetes, diabetes management, and his insulin pump. I was an insulin dependent diabetic then as well -- it was before my transplants -- but I took insulin shots.

Joel told me the "pump" was the way to go because of its convenience and health benefits.

According to a post on Facebook, his insulin pump malfunctioned, and he died. The Facebook post included comments from his parents:

With great sadness we write to tell you of the death of our son Joel. He had just started a new job at KOMO, the ABC TV station in Seattle, and he was alone in his apartment when his insulin pump malfunctioned. The lead line was disconnected without his realizing it. It was one of those accidents of fate.

I am in shock and disbelief. There are warning signs of high blood sugar and high blood sugar does not cause sudden death. A disconnection of the lead line leads me to believe that insulin was not getting into his system causing his blood sugar to rise. He could have detected that early enough to prevent this tragedy.

As soon as I read about his death, I looked on the Internet for other reports of insulin pump deaths and found that there are far too many. In some cases the malfunction caused a release of too much insulin -- causing insulin shock which can cause a fast death.

But a lack of insulin? No. There are warning signs. There are indications. Joel was a pump user for years, he would have known the danger signs. This just adds to the tragedy.

Joel also worked in Miami after he left KCAL/KCBS. I remember when he got the Miami job. Good guys like him are not supposed to die young.

I am very sad. And angry. And I hope his colleagues will investigate his passing and the cause of his death for the sake of the tens of thousands of insulin pump users.

Last edited by Alan Mendelson; 11-08-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Thread Information