Thread: Mendelson Math

Why is it someone would "trust the math" when it comes to aerospace engineering, or doing taxes, or building bridges, but not when it comes to playing video poker?

Obviously, one can consult college aerospace engineers to figure out if a shuttle should work or an airplane will fly. One can consult accountants to see if tax calculations work. One can consult mechanical engineers to figure out if a bridge will hold weight.

But Alan feels it unnecessary to consult mathematicians to see if Rob Singer's video poker strategies will work for others.

All Alan would have to do is print up some of these columns and trot them over to the math department of his local universities. Doesn't seem like an other-worldly project -- not quite like finding Bin Laden.

But he chooses to not do this.

Let's list the possible reasons he doesn't want to do this.

redietz, what is your problem? Why are you attacking me? I never said I don't trust the math. I just made the observation that what Rob does is similar to the player at a craps table who makes the "long shot bets" such as the the horn and the hops, while the "math" tells you to bet the pass and come with full odds, and place the six and eight.

Rob also knows what the math says. You guys are just silly. You create issues that don't exist.

And in case you missed it -- the hundred or so times I said it -- I don't play Rob's way. But I understand why someone might want to play his way. And TWICE in all my years of playing VP, I tried a "special play" and once I got lucky with it, and the other time it wouldn't have mattered.

Much ado about nothing, redietz. Go write your own book and feel free to tell us about it here.

Red--the math is never questioned by anyone here. But I have asked several times, on an 8-5 ddb game, other than telling me don't play, what should someone do. The math says you will lose on this game. So--since you can't grind out a win on the game, and if it's the best game offered around here (and yes I know you can find an isolated game within 40 miles that may be better), what do you do?

At least Rob offers a suggestion, the legitimacy of which is disputed, but at least is an option.

Methinks redietz likes to keep his thinking safely inside the box. It's absolute chaos out there!

Alan, you constantly dispute the math. every time you say win goals will overcome a negative ER you are disputing the math.

Regnis, Singer is not providing an option. The games are still negative no matter what system you use. If you want to play his system (or any system) because you enjoy it, that is fine. However, if you think it will change your results, you have been snookered.

Frank used to say that he supports any method of play that reduces the amount of gambling done by an individual. He knew there was no method that would increase the return of VP play above optimal play. It looks to me like you are more likely to increase your gambling using Singer's method. Frank would be upset.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Methinks redietz likes to keep his thinking safely inside the box. It's absolute chaos out there!
    As far as VP play goes the games are 100% solved. There is no unknown, there is no chaos, there is simple reality. One can either accept reality or believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Singer.

Thread Information