Thread: Coin flip news: not exactly 50/50

This is really "old news" because I first read about this back in the 1960s. U.S. coins have heavier obverses than reverses so coins are likely to land with the head-side down.

But here's another article. I liked the info about shuffling cards, too.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...181022961.html

So whenever we've seen arci bring up his famous coin-flip argument as an example, he's never been as accurate as he purports....or more precisely, he's never really read up on the subject prior to making a fool out of himself. Big surprise.

The funny part is, we have a TRUE mathematician doing an in-your-face to arci here, and at the same time, Alan actually DID go to one of those university professors that redietz has been begging him to go to on the subject of gambling. And what do we discover? Nothing is as random as the amateur theorists among us want them to be in order to fulfill their agenda.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    So whenever we've seen arci bring up his famous coin-flip argument as an example, he's never been as accurate as he purports....or more precisely, he's never really read up on the subject prior to making a fool out of himself. Big surprise.

The funny part is, we have a TRUE mathematician doing an in-your-face to arci here, and at the,same time, Alan actually DID go to one of those university professors that redietz has been begging him to go to on the,subject of gambling. And what do we discover? Nothing is as random as the amateur theorists among us want them to be in order to fulfill their agenda.
    As a matter of fact, I brought up here several times the fact about coins being weighted. Actually MIT did the original research back in the mid 1960s. I even raised the issue about the super bowl coin toss and wondered if any one ever tested the coin or if the company that makes the coin certified the weighting?

Rob, I dont follow where you say "Alan actually DID go to one of those university professors that redietz has been begging him to go to on the,subject of gambling." What are you referring to here? I haven't gone to anybody.

Thread Information