Thread: The Singer Five

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    A gambler's gambling bankroll grows by winning. How does one win more? By BETTING more. People who claim to be professional gamblers only sell things to earn the money they are unable to earn via their gambling, which is totally disingenuous. And it is 100% inappropriate for any sports betting self-described savant--of whom we've seen quite a few over the years--to claim to be special but at the same time trying to sell their picks. That gobbledegook explanation justifying the sleazy practice was just what you meant it to be: strange.

The same goes for the rest of that shameless crowd I mentioned. No one with a brain believes they've ever won anything. They remain in the selling end of the business because they have never been able to walk the walk on the gambling end.
    A lot of proclamations that don't at all address what I explained. Handicappers flip the odds in their favor. It's the same as playing a positive EV video poker game. I'm not surprised you don't grasp that.

LOL. You'll have a hard time denigrating me. I work on a percent of profit, and everybody gets the same plays. Once every six to seven years, I make nothing. In fact, obviously, I lose money. Find fault with that -- good luck.
    I'm not denigrating what you do specifically. The whole sports handicapping industry does it.

I don't get how handicappers flip odds. The only people who move lines are large bettors.

Jesus, man, you really don't know -- hell, I don't know how to describe it. If you don't understand what I said in that post, you really should not be gambling, period. The following explanation assumes you are indeed betting your own games.

Look, if you are betting whatever the hell you claim, $500 a game, and you win 55%, that's great. But if you "sell picks" on a pay-after-you-win basis, then the money you pick up from the winning picks changes the percentage you need to win to make a profit, depending on the income from the sales. So your 55%, if you have a couple dozen followers at some nominal fee, turns into the income equivalent of you hitting 57% or 58% or more.

The income from the people paying for your selections "flips the odds" because, instead of having to win 52.4% of the time (with normal juice), you can actually get by with hitting less than that for you yourself to make a profit. The added income from the paying subscribers can turn a 51% (losing) handicapper into a winning handicapper. It can theoretically turn a 48% handicapper into a profitable handicapper due to the added income from people paying you. You no longer have to win 52.4% to come out ahead. With the added income from your subscribers paying for winners, the "vig" you earn from your winners is more than the "vig" you are paying sports books with your losers.

You have become the favorite. You have "flipped the odds."
    Last edited by redietz; 12-04-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Thread Information