Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253
Results 1,041 to 1,053 of 1053

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    John Wick 3 (the first two were great too).
    It's about time!
    Let me know when you actually get to play it!
    I watched the original movie the other day.
    I thought the movie was better the first time I watched it ten years ago.
    I was wrong.
    I don't understand how people love this movie/series.
    I'm really starting to turn into an old curmudgeon lol.
    Will do Monet. Although the Pinball Hall of Fame will probably get it as fast as any place, so you will get to play it quite soon if you decide to play it. Anyway, based on the Youtube footage, it looks like a lot of fun.

I watched the movie Defendor (Woody Harrelson). The movie was a bit lame (rehashed storyline seen in dozens of other movies - a likeable vigilante dumbfuck tries to help people), so I would only watch it if you are bored. Please disregard this post if you have already seen it.

I watched the movie Defendor (Woody Harrelson). The movie was a bit lame (rehashed storyline seen in dozens of other movies - a likeable vigilante dumbfuck tries to help people), so I would only watch it if you are bored. Please disregard this post if you have already seen it.
    I think I watched it when it first came out.
    Very Forgettable.
    Not even sure if I watched the entire movie.

Anyways... found this.
    1990 British sitcom "Heil Honey, I'm Home"
    Funny Concept.
    Mel Brooks would have made it work if he was involved.
    For some reason the Brits got all offended and only the pilot aired.
    I guess they shot 8 episodes but only aired 1.
    The writers could have gone really hard on the "jokes" as they seemed a bit too soft.
    Maybe they got more edgy as the series went on lol.
    I dunno, it's sort of so bad that it's funny.

That recommendation got me thinking about something I watched not too long ago, 'The Great Dictator' by Charlie Chaplin. Max has a lot of really old stuff but what got me intrigued was the 1940 release date. A film making fun of Hitler from a mainly pre-war perspective?? I'm in. Apparently this was his most commercially successful film, but not sure I'd ever even heard of it. Anyway what really surprised me is how much I enjoyed it. Both from a historical standpoint in terms of what we knew about the Nazis at that time, but also the movie is often hysterically funny. I mean how can you make tormenting and murdering people in a ghetto funny?? Doesn't seem possible, but he pulls it off. At the end Chaplin looks directly into the camera and delivers a heartfelt message that really moved me.

Last edited by jdog; 05-25-2024 at 12:24 PM.

Originally Posted by jdog View Post
    That recommendation got me thinking about something I watched not too long ago, 'The Great Dictator' by Charlie Chaplin. Max has a lot of really old stuff but what got me intrigued was the 1940 release date. A film making fun of Hitler from a mainly pre-war perspective?? I'm in. Apparently this was his most commercially successful film, but not sure I'd ever even heard of it. Anyway what really surprised me is how much I enjoyed it. Both from a historical standpoint in terms of what we knew about the Nazis at that time, but also the movie is often hysterically funny. I mean how can you make tormenting and murdering people in a ghetto funny?? Doesn't seem possible, but he pulls it off. At the end Chaplin looks directly into the camera and delivers a heartfelt message that really moved me.

You must be really young.
    You can watch more Charlie Chaplin movies.
    After that you can move over to the Marx Brothers and Three Stooges.
    Should keep you busy for at least a year depending on how hard you go.

That's actually quite profoundly pathetic. Not even a spectator sport.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsa6ojQcYXQ

Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

Blog at https://garnabby.blogspot.com/

I think I watched it when it first came out.
    Very Forgettable.
    Not even sure if I watched the entire movie.

Anyways... found this.
    1990 British sitcom "Heil Honey, I'm Home"
    Funny Concept.
    Mel Brooks would have made it work if he was involved.
    The writers could have gone really hard on the "jokes" as they seemed a bit too soft.
    Maybe they got more edgy as the series went on lol.

Thanks M8. I'm in - looks really funny.

Originally Posted by jdog View Post

Thanks Jdog. Who can forget the classic from '68, The Producers (Mel Brooks - I think this movie was discussed in this thread at some point):

Speaking of Hitler, I made the mistake of seeing The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5177120/). I guess it's just better to assume every movie released is going to be woke trash.

It looks like it was heavily influenced by The Honeymooners in terms of mannerisms and characterizations. Obviously, even if it had been well executed, they would have run out of material after the 8 episodes anyway, due to the highly specialized subject matter. They should have aired the series in the U.S. market rather than the British market - it may have succeeded ;-). Thanks again for the reco.

You must be really young.
    You can watch more Charlie Chaplin movies.
    After that you can move over to the Marx Brothers and Three Stooges.
    First time anyone has referred to me as young in a very long time... thanks!

As a kid I was quite familiar with the Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, Dagwood & Blondie... etc, but Marx brothers stuff never interested me. The Great Dictator is probably the only Chaplin movie I've ever watched in it's entirety.

It looks like it was heavily influenced by The Honeymooners in terms of mannerisms and characterizations. Obviously, even if it had been well executed, they would have run out of material after the 8 episodes anyway, due to the highly specialized subject matter. They should have aired the series in the U.S. market rather than the British market - it may have succeeded ;-). Thanks again for the reco.
    I think that was the point.
    I'm pretty sure they were making fun of American Sitcoms.
    And that anything goes in America.
    Most of the cast was Jewish so it wasn't like it offended them.
    In either case, I guess the joke works better as a skit.
    A 30-minute, show every week, is probably too much as the joke wears off.
    And I guess it was done a few times before.

I'm pretty sure they were making fun of American Sitcoms.
    And I guess it was done a few times before.
    Yes excellent point, that was most likely a primary motivation along with making fun of the Nazis at the same time. That's right, and as you know Mel Brooks was one of those who satirized the Nazis, and of course Spike Jones too.

Name:  WmC06Qk.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  74.5 KB

Thread Information