Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Mission146 appreciation Thread! :D

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I guess what I don't understand is why Shackleford wouldn't just front the money on the quiet so the forum doesn't look like a circus.
    Perhaps he would back when he owned the site but now he's just hired help, "phoning it in" so to speak.

Clearly the new owners don't give a flying fuck, so why should the Wiz?
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post
    Originally Posted by Tasha View Post

IIRC, it is probably like $1,500. Mission owed $1,000 to DJ Chaps and other people were owed money too, but nowhere as much as DJ Chaps.

I guess what I don't understand is why Shackleford wouldn't just front the money on the quiet so the forum doesn't look like a circus. The optics of a highfalutin' forum allowing a contest where the administrators can't cover $1500 isn't helpful to WOV at all. Makes it look like, as Trumpster might say, a swamp. An overrated swamp at that.

I really don't get it. If I were in Shackleford's shoes, it's a no-brainer. You cover the money and tell Mission to pay you back when he can, or all such contests are permanently retired from the forum.

Not a hard decision. It's easily worth the $1500 for the forum reputation.
    "Optics/ front the money on the quiet."
    That sports tout thinking.

The right thing to do... WAS to let everyone know there was an issue with the payment of funds from a member of the forum. Not to hide and cover it up. People should know if someone owes money and isn't paying it on time. Covering somthing up isn't good for the reputation of the forum.

The name of the forum is "Wizard of Vegas." Shackleford has spent three decades being "The Wizard." Everything that happens is a direct reflection of him. There is no reputational differentiation, regardless of who owns/runs the forum. His reputation and the forum's reputation are what's at stake. I cannot believe he didn't just front the money. I don't even necessarily mean a "cover-up," because he could have said Mission's broke -- here's the money. Why wouldn't he do that?

Imagine "Bob Dietz's Integrity Sports" was sold to Playbook while keeping the name. Some Integrity Sports long-term writer/poster/advocate fronts a forum contest, then is too broke to pay the winners $1500. Would I step in and pay it? Absolutely. I'm not sure where the damage cut-off would be for me. I wouldn't front 20K, for example, but I might front 10K while keeping my public chastisement of the "Mission" filed until it was clear I was never getting paid.

Wizard is responsible for advocating and allowing the contest in the first place. He could have required money be on file with him before allowing it to go forward.

And Axelwolf -- keep the "tout" cracks to yourself. I can honestly say that in 45 years of doing this, no one who has worked with me or been a client has publicly referred to me as a "tout." Not once. Think about that. If you want an opinion of what kind of "tout" I am, I suggest emailing Marc Lawrence Jr and quizzing him. But you won't.

I know I sound a little like MDawg, but your low-life know-it-all scumbag schtick gets old. In the Las Vegas gambling scheme of things, you're a heartbeat above nothing. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Last edited by redietz; 05-14-2024 at 08:51 AM.

Mission had run the picks contest for ten years adding his own money for half the prize pool. He was always slow pay, taking months, but nobody complained. Everyone always eventually got paid.

Mission, having seen chaps thread on PFA begging for rent money, invited chaps to the contest. You know the saying no good deed goes unpunished. Chaps won and immediately started dunning for money. Even getting belligerent about it.

Amount owed was $435, most of it missions money. Mission added $45 interest until he could pay.

On march 12 wizard got in it and suspended mission until he pays. Later that day Gordon bought the debt for $400. Seeing that, wizard bought half the debt for $200. They resolved that when mission paid the $480 debt they would keep $200 each and send the other $80 to chaps. Gordon said there was no pressure for mission to pay but the suspension would stay in place until the debt is paid.

So fuck off with your misrepresentation of the facts, Ditz. Dom Perignon thanks you for your baseball touting.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    I guess what I don't understand is why Shackleford wouldn't just front the money on the quiet so the forum doesn't look like a circus.
    Perhaps he would back when he owned the site but now he's just hired help, "phoning it in" so to speak.

Clearly the new owners don't give a flying fuck, so why should the Wiz?
    Nothing like closure. And, the ones who remained are surely getting a lot of that. Ha.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsa6ojQcYXQ

Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

Blog at https://garnabby.blogspot.com/

I wonder if Mission will come back under a Sock like I did....
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zk2WAFzDcrJ7pjNB7

Take comfort in the fact that no one is actually backing up his wishes to have you permanantly banned.

Smart is knowing a Tomato is a fruit.

Wise is knowing a Tomato doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

I am glad to get my full posting rights back! Thank you Dan!

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Amount owed was $435, most of it missions money.
    Amount owed is more like a thousand. Chaps was just one of the winners to whom Mission146 owed.

Over all, every year, M146 runs this contest and covers deficit between the entrance fees and the amount owed to winners, out of his own pocket. This year that deficit was around $1000.

As I posted at WOV, if it were made clear that payments to winners may be delayed, and perhaps include some kind of maximum timeline, that would address this issue.
    I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people.

MDawg Adventures carry on at: https://www.truepassage.com/forums/f.../46-IPlayVegas

Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
    I wonder if Mission will come back under a Sock like I did....
    For all we know, he might be the as illustrious flustered Mr. Chaps. To test everyone's faith, in mankind. Ha.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

What a shitshow. Why on earth would Mission even be allowed to get involved in this "contest" when he's already proven to be a slow-payer in past years? And instead of all this non-sensical debt-buying, forum face-saving and other goofy posturing, the chumps who got stiffed should've had the guy's legs broken in order to make a meaningful statement.

React like wussies--you end up being wussified.

No money should ever be paid out on this. Transfer it to some charity that doesnt involve Haitians. How stupid must these WoV geniuses be by entering into a contest where a known pauper who slow-pays due to a pitiful living status, would very likely be called upon to repeat history?

The only thing missing from this duncefest is kew.

Originally Posted by Garnabby View Post
    For all we know, he might be the as illustrious flustered Mr. Chaps. To test everyone's faith, in mankind. Ha.
    ---> Sleeping at the Starlite Motel: and Other Adventures on the Way Back Home.

https://anagram-solver.net/For%20all....?partial=true

Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
    Amount owed is more like a thousand. Chaps was just one of the winners to whom Mission146 owed.

Over all, every year, M146 runs this contest and covers deficit between the entrance fees and the amount owed to winners, out of his own pocket. This year that deficit was around $1000.

As I posted at WOV, if it were made clear that payments to winners may be delayed, and perhaps include some kind of maximum timeline, that would address this issue.
    3 winners, about 1K total. But only a fraction of the buy-in money goes thru missions hands.. It is paid directly from the losers to the winners.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Another stat from this contest. You could certainly say the 24 entrants were amateur sportsbettors. Even so, 9 of the 24 were over 50% thru 100 picks.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    What a shitshow. Why on earth would Mission even be allowed to get involved in this "contest" when he's already proven to be a slow-payer in past years? And instead of all this non-sensical debt-buying, forum face-saving and other goofy posturing, the chumps who got stiffed should've had the guy's legs broken in order to make a meaningful statement.

React like wussies--you end up being wussified.

No money should ever be paid out on this. Transfer it to some charity that doesnt involve Haitians. How stupid must these WoV geniuses be by entering into a contest where a known pauper who slow-pays due to a pitiful living status, would very likely be called upon to repeat history?

The only thing missing from this duncefest is kew.
    DJ Chaps would have had NO idea that Mission was a slow payer when he entered and won the Contest. DJ Chaps could have went about it more maturely saying something like,"It's been two days, I wonder why I haven't been paid yet," and then Posters could have said something like,"Mission ALWAYS slow pays Contests, no big deal." DJ Chaps could have said something like,"Okay, I didn't know Mission was a slow payer. Thanks for answering me." And then let the matter drop.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zk2WAFzDcrJ7pjNB7

Take comfort in the fact that no one is actually backing up his wishes to have you permanantly banned.

Smart is knowing a Tomato is a fruit.

Wise is knowing a Tomato doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

I am glad to get my full posting rights back! Thank you Dan!

3 winners, about 1K total. But only a fraction of the buy-in money goes thru missions hands.. It is paid directly from the losers to the winners.
    After accounting for what the participants have to pay the winners or have already paid the winners, Mission146 needs to input around a thousand of his own money. This is also what UnJon keeps reminding people too.

So even after M146 pays the 400 to GordonM888, he has to input around another 600 to settle all balances for the winners. From what UnJon and others have explained, that 600 is not owed by participants (you call them the losers). That's the point.

So he's not on the lam over 400 - unless UnJon and the others are wrong, he's on the hook for around a 1000.
    I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people.

MDawg Adventures carry on at: https://www.truepassage.com/forums/f.../46-IPlayVegas

Seriously, though, to do something like that once, let alone a bunch of times, is full on nuts, or someone without any friends. Now I wonder how much Mission has thus paid out over the years. $10,000? He's probably the biggest sucker on the forums. Ha. And, an AP at that.

Gee, who saw that one coming?
    Last edited by Garnabby; 05-15-2024 at 06:25 AM.

You could certainly say the 24 entrants were amateur sportsbettors. Even so, 9 of the 24 were over 50% thru 100 picks.
    How embarrassing. I had to look for myself.

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gamb...10/#post914023

Name:  what is this.png
Views: 46
Size:  23.1 KB

Midpoint is highlighted yellow. In general, the participants were less competent than George:

Name:  bettor than.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  19.6 KB

This is how I understood the rules. A list of point spreads and totals was posted each Thursday, then each participant submitted five picks before the Sunday kickoffs. So for the decisions, they had significant line move knowledge available -- but still couldn't beat a coin flip.

Am I missing something? I see they have varying numbers of total picks, indicating they weren't penalized for missing a submission deadline.

Originally Posted by Don Perignom View Post
    You could certainly say the 24 entrants were amateur sportsbettors. Even so, 9 of the 24 were over 50% thru 100 picks.
    How embarrassing. I had to look for myself.

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gamb...10/#post914023

Name:  what is this.png
Views: 46
Size:  23.1 KB

Midpoint is highlighted yellow. In general, the participants were less competent than George:

Name:  bettor than.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  19.6 KB

This is how I understood the rules. A list of point spreads and totals was posted each Thursday, then each participant submitted five picks before the Sunday kickoffs. So for the decisions, they had significant line move knowledge available -- but still couldn't beat a coin flip.

Am I missing something? I see they have varying numbers of total picks, indicating they weren't penalized for missing a submission deadline.
    What’s embarrassing. Damn near half the field finished above 50%. Pretty good number for amateurs

There is an accounting in the thread. $635 total from mission

What’s embarrassing. Damn near half the field finished above 50%. Pretty good number for amateurs
    Before you know it, some of them will figure out how to open cans.

Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post

I guess what I don't understand is why Shackleford wouldn't just front the money on the quiet so the forum doesn't look like a circus. The optics of a highfalutin' forum allowing a contest where the administrators can't cover $1500 isn't helpful to WOV at all. Makes it look like, as Trumpster might say, a swamp. An overrated swamp at that.

I really don't get it. If I were in Shackleford's shoes, it's a no-brainer. You cover the money and tell Mission to pay you back when he can, or all such contests are permanently retired from the forum.

Not a hard decision. It's easily worth the $1500 for the forum reputation.
    "Optics/ front the money on the quiet."
    That sports tout thinking.

The right thing to do... WAS to let everyone know there was an issue with the payment of funds from a member of the forum. Not to hide and cover it up. People should know if someone owes money and isn't paying it on time. Covering somthing up isn't good for the reputation of the forum.

The name of the forum is "Wizard of Vegas." Shackleford has spent three decades being "The Wizard." Everything that happens is a direct reflection of him. There is no reputational differentiation, regardless of who owns/runs the forum. His reputation and the forum's reputation are what's at stake. I cannot believe he didn't just front the money. I don't even necessarily mean a "cover-up," because he could have said Mission's broke -- here's the money. Why wouldn't he do that?

Imagine "Bob Dietz's Integrity Sports" was sold to Playbook while keeping the name. Some Integrity Sports long-term writer/poster/advocate fronts a forum contest, then is too broke to pay the winners $1500. Would I step in and pay it? Absolutely. I'm not sure where the damage cut-off would be for me. I wouldn't front 20K, for example, but I might front 10K while keeping my public chastisement of the "Mission" filed until it was clear I was never getting paid.

Wizard is responsible for advocating and allowing the contest in the first place. He could have required money be on file with him before allowing it to go forward.

And Axelwolf -- keep the "tout" cracks to yourself. I can honestly say that in 45 years of doing this, no one who has worked with me or been a client has publicly referred to me as a "tout." Not once. Think about that. If you want an opinion of what kind of "tout" I am, I suggest emailing Marc Lawrence Jr and quizzing him. But you won't.

I know I sound a little like MDawg, but your low-life know-it-all scumbag schtick gets old. In the Las Vegas gambling scheme of things, you're a heartbeat above nothing. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    “Know it all scumbag schtick?” Reminds me of you dietz. And I have to laugh at the biggest bozo on the VCT clown show contemplating that WoV looks like a circus.

The top three entrants did a fine job. Those records would have put them top 10 NFL certainly and in contention for top spots in most annual McCusker Reports. Those are real good records for NFL handicapping -- in line with both Dan's and Singer's ATS records in their best seasons here at VCT. I just wanted to put that in perspective. Those 64-43 ATS records for the NFL are hard-earned and praise-worthy.

The bottom-dwellers had incredibly bad records. So the odd thing about this distribution is that, with just 24 people, you usually don't run into three real good records and three real bad records like this. (Note: mickey is probably checking my logic -- LOL). The chances of getting a 60/40 outcome if this were coin flipping (it's not) would be around 2%. Same with 40/60. So the three real good outcomes and three real bad outcomes with each entry representing roughly 4% of the total entries -- that is pretty wild, even though it's not coin flipping.

Wizard should have just picked up any contest tab. I can't believe the powers that be and Shackleford would quibble over these amounts. It places WOV in a playing-at-gambling frame. Not sure that's what they are shooting for --maybe it is. Appeal to more people.

Oh, quick question -- I count 25 entrants. Has my eyesight completely gone to hell, or did Wizard or Mission not count in the standings officially?

And finally, is that really Mission's record at the bottom of the list, or was that just an editorial comment? Well, if he was actually wagering on this stuff and did that, geez, cut the man some slack. He got clobbered -- might take a little time to clean up the finances of it.
    Last edited by redietz; 05-15-2024 at 08:42 AM.

Thread Information