Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Injured at Caesars Palace

I had no responsibility Rob Singer.

I spent nearly two full days at doctor offices and pharmacies waiting for prescriptions. I spent two days in bed with skin infections in my groin from fungus that hurt so badly I couldn't put pants on.

And you say move on?

I did hear from the Risk Manager of Caesars today. We are exchanging emails.

Yes, move on. Lots of people fall, hurt themselves, or get injured in strange ways while out in the world, and they never seek collateral damage payments. You are trying to twist CET arms into sending you a big check for this same type of thing, and it doesn't sit well with most. On top of that, you're doing this to a place you've basically called your home away from home for a number of years. A "friendly place" if you will. If you were willing to cut all ties with them over this I might see your point. But as of right now it makes little sense.

I'll add, if I were CET and I saw how you wouldn't let this nagging incident go--whether it's supposedly due to some infection or any other simple inconvenience due to your own personal issues--I'd seriously start thinking about burying you with this. And they can do it with very little effort, esp. if they get their hands on this thread.

Drop it, please.

You keep mentioning a "big check." When have I mentioned any amount of money.

I just went back and watched each of the 5 minute videos of the doors in question at Caesar's and have the following observations. The camera angles of the before and after were for the most part different thereby exaggerating any adjustments that may or may not have been made by Caesar's. I also observed on at least a few occasions people coming in and out the doors including on one occasion two people coming through at once with no problem by using their hand to keep the door open as they were walking through. We go through these type of doors quite often ourselves including this past weekend at Bally's LV carrying luggage and have not had any problems.

I am still not clear exactly how this happened to you. These doors are heavy but are designed to be used by using your hand to keep the door open as you are passing through. They also have handles on both sides to make it easier to open and to hold these doors open. If this ever went to trial which I seriously doubt, if I was on the jury the only damages I would be in favor of awarding would be minimal at best. The two 5 minute videos hinder your case rather than help your case IMO.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    You keep mentioning a "big check." When have I mentioned any amount of money.
    When blindspot explained what he was seeing here, he correctly said how he saw you were looking for the money without expressly identifying it as such. I agree with that assessment.

Are you willing to announce that you are NOT looking for some kind of pay day here? If not, why all the details and complaining? Is it some sort of CET vendetta?

I never mentioned money. Nor did my attorney. I never got even a phone call from Caesars asking how I was following the injury. I couldn't even get their risk management dept. to replace the $50 jacket that came out of their gift shop. They said nothing about the blood on my jeans and shoes which I showed to Security when they treated me.

So you're looking for zilch and I'm wrong. OK. But why do you care if they care about you or any inconvenience you've experienced? It's a big company. Is this over or what?

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    So you're looking for zilch and I'm wrong. OK. But why do you care if they care about you or any inconvenience you've experienced? It's a big company. Is this over or what?
    Good questions.

First, they should care about their doors and how they operate.
    Second, they should care about what happens to their guests.

I am happy to report that late today I received an email from Gary Selesner.

Concern, or the appearance of concern, is a good thing.

I wonder if things would have been different if the Caesars paramedic had urged me to go to a hospital ER for treatment instead of treating the injury himself?

I asked him if his treatment was sufficient and he said yes. Perhaps I wouldn't have had the bleeding that continued for a week and perhaps I wouldn't have had the secondary infection had the paramedic said this wound is deep and needs someone else to look at it.

Originally Posted by seemoreroyals View Post
    I just went back and watched each of the 5 minute videos of the doors in question at Caesar's and have the following observations. The camera angles of the before and after were for the most part different thereby exaggerating any adjustments that may or may not have been made by Caesar's.
    True: the camera angles were different but the motion of the doors was significantly different and you can see the different motion of the doors in both videos. The "after" video clearly shows how the door closes slowly with a "hesitation" and as I pointed out. The "before" video clearly shows the door closes without the "hesitation" and with a faster speed. Neither video can show that the "after" video shows the door feels lighter because of the adjustment to the door.

I also observed on at least a few occasions people coming in and out the doors including on one occasion two people coming through at once with no problem by using their hand to keep the door open as they were walking through.
    I didn't see a sign that said use two hands to keep the door open as you walk through. I didn't see a sign that says "this is a heavy door and as you walk through use your hand to keep the door from closing and hitting you." I also didn't see a sign that says "this is a fast closing door and you only have about four seconds to get through the door so walk briskly with your luggage and your kids and your dog and for heaven's sake don't walk slowly yourself."

But I did see in the videos and while I was there customers who struggled with the heavy door and did have to keep their hands on the door in order to walk in. Are you supposed to struggle with an entry door?

I am still not clear exactly how this happened to you. These doors are heavy but are designed to be used by using your hand to keep the door open as you are passing through. They also have handles on both sides to make it easier to open and to hold these doors open.
    Regarding the handles on both sides: I didn't know that a person entering the door was supposed to also use the handle on the inside? I thought the handle on the inside was there for those exiting the hotel. Now, you are telling me that a person entering or exiting must use both handles -- on the inside and on the outside -- to safely enter or exit?

I wonder what Consumer Reports would say about doors that require such attention, including keeping your hands on the handles both on the inside and the outside in order to have safe passage?

Alan, if I could make a suggestion, I would just stop talking. Personally, I think your losing a great deal of respect here both by the readers and Caesars if their tagging along.

I was thinking... wouldn't the sharpness of the door edge be more relevant than the speed of the door closing?

If the edge of the door wasn't sharp, you wouldn't have been cut.

I think that's where your case is stronger. The speed of the door closing isn't that relevant, provided it isn't slamming closed at a breakneck speed.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

I don't think it was the sharpness that cut me. I think it was the pressure which peeled my skin back. You could easily argue that the beveled edge was not sharp, but combined with the pressure it can do damage. My hand was also slammed by the door and my hand was black and blue after the incident and that came from the pressure of the door hit and not from the beveled edge.

Caesars has a video of me walking thru the door. I asked for it and they declined to give it to me. My lawyer asked for it and they didn't give it to him either.

If we had the video it would show me entering the hotel with my phone in my left hand to my left ear and I opened the door with my right hand. The door is mounted on the right side so using my right hand to open the door would be normal. The video would show me walking thru the doorway and then it would show me coming to a stop several steps inside the doorway with me still talking on the phone. That's the moment I felt the "coldness" on my hand which was my hand covered in blood. The video would also show that my right hand was hit by the fast closing door.

If that's not what the video showed, why wouldn't Caesars or its insurance representative or Risk Management office say that, or provide the video?

Now you could make the argument that I should be aware of the door's closing speed. But I don't think I should have to be aware that the door had a fast closing speed. My normal expectation would be that a door would open wide and stay open so I could walk in -- and not that I would have to monitor the motion of the door and use my hands to keep the door from closing and hitting me.

I so much wanted to put the Caesars surveillance video online. They confirmed they have it, and they confirmed that they have the sequence of me walking in with the phone in my left hand.

I just checked some federal regulations. The door might have violated the "Closing Speed" rules here: https://adata.org/factsheet/opening-doors-everyone

Edited to add:

Also see: https://adata.org/factsheet/adjusting-doors-access
    Last edited by Alan Mendelson; 08-31-2016 at 06:53 AM.

I just got off the phone with an official of Caesars Palace and all is resolved. We had a very warm, friendly and interesting discussion.

When will the "Alan Mendelson High Limit Dice Pit" be completed and available to the public?

Is it a "Confidential Settlement" without "any admission of liability" to the "mutual satisfaction of all parties?" Or as a reporter will you provide details?

Thread Information