Thread: The Singer Five

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    But so can a non-call decide a game.
    Like I said, I didn't see a replay that showed where the official was on that play...maybe he was on his ass, maybe his view was shielded, maybe he was looking another way.

At the time, the non-call did not decide the game.

If he made the call, then that would have decided the game.

The Saints got the ball first in OT and had a chance to win...they couldn't get it done.

Any big game that the Rams are involved in is suspect...the ghosts of Carrol Rosenbloom and Sonny Werblin.
    Last edited by coach belly; 01-20-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Originally Posted by coach belly View Post
    But so can a non-call decide a game.
    At the time, the non-call did not decide the game.

If he made the call, then that would have decided the game.

The Saints got the ball first in OT and had a chance to win...they couldn't get it done.

Any big game that the Rams are involved in is suspect...it's the ghosts of Carrol Rosenbloom and Sonny Werblin.
    I don't know who those people are and am not going to bother looking it up, but I will argue that not making the correct call DID decide the game. It decided that the game would go on when it should have been over.

It took a team that should have won right then and there and said, well you still have an opportunity to win.

I will argue that not making the correct call DID decide the game.
    Argue all you want, but for someone who is so vested in mathematical certainty, then you should accept the fact that the Saints were not a certainty to win that game if the DPI had been called.

They still would have had to snap the ball, run plays to run time off the clock, and kick a field goal to win.

We don't know what would have happened, and therefore can't say that the non-call decided the game.

What we do know is what happened, the Saints blew it.

Maybe what DID decided the game was Brees' age...he didn't play well in the second half, and the throw that was picked in OT was not a veteran play.

What we do know is what happened, the Saints blew it.

Maybe what DID decided the game was Brees' age...he didn't play well in the second half, and the throw that was picked in OT was not a veteran play.
    Completely irrelevant. The fact is that there are 7 officials on the field and different safeguards like repay (which doesn't come into play on penalties) designed to ensure that they get the correct calls, and on the most crucial call of the day, they got it wrong. AND the NFL office will issue a statement tomorrow admitting they got it wrong. And as a result one team is going to the superbowl instead of the other.

I don't have a dog in this fight, no bets, no rooting interest other than I don't really care for Sean Peyton. But they blew the call, and I can't believe you are defending it. At least Singer admits they blew the call.

But they blew the call, and I can't believe you are defending it.
    The ref blew the call, no doubt...but that didn't prevent the Saints from winning the game.

I doubt that Brees or Peyton will blame the refs for the loss, blaming the refs is a loser's lament.

You have to take the game out of the hands of the refs...you have 60 minutes to do that.

The Saints had the chance to do that for regulation and then with the ball first in OT...they couldn't get it done.

You wrote some time ago that you were an athlete. If that's true then you should know better than to blame the refs...it's a cop out.

I doubt that Brees or Peyton will blame the refs for the loss, blaming the refs is a loser's lament.
    You would be wrong. Payton opened his press conference blaming the ref and rightfully so. The NFL office didn't even wait until tomorrow as they usually do, they issued a statement already admitting they blew the call and I quote "that likely changed the outcome of the game". The NFL Sr VP of Officiating personally called Sean Payton to apologize for blowing the call.

You would be wrong.
    Like I said...blaming the refs is a loser's lament.

You either take the game out of the hands of the refs, or accept the consequences.

That goes for all sports.

The ref blew the call, no doubt...but that didn't prevent the Saints from winning the game.

You have to take the game out of the hands of the refs...you have 60 minutes to do that.

The Saints had the chance to do that for regulation and then with the ball first in OT...they couldn't get it done.

You wrote some time ago that you were an athlete. If that's true then you should know better than to blame the refs...it's a cop out.
    Blaming the refs is embarrassing. The Saints will never again reach the SB with a crybaby like Sean Payton at their helm. You would have NEVER seen Bill Belichick blaming the refs for a single call. Calls go for and against you all the time. Payton should look to the high road press conference Drew Brees had tonight.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post

Blaming the refs is embarrassing. The Saints will never again reach the SB with a crybaby like Sean Payton at their helm. You would have NEVER seen Bill Belichick blaming the refs for a single call. Calls go for and against you all the time. Payton should look to the high road press conference Drew Brees had tonight.
    That's not all. I was one of the crybabies and I immediately searched the web looking for comments from all the other crybabies who were as infuriated as me. Much to my embarrassment, I came across a photo of Drew on the field immediately after the game tossing balls to his kids. In one photo he was bent over tying his son's shoe. I immediately forgot about the game.

Thread Information