Thread: Nova dilemma

I am a huge Villanova basketball fan. Being a Philly guy they are my second favorite sports team behind the Eagles. I attended many Nova basketball games during my 8 years in Philly. So I have enjoyed the run this years team is making. Could be a magical year for an Eagles / Nova fan.

So the problem is I think Michigan matches up very well with Nova. Michigan's strength is defending the three point shot, which is Nova's game. Statistically I believe they may be #1 in the country, but don't hold me to that. If I had no fan interest, Michigan +7 (opened at 6.5) or +7.5 looks like a strong wager to me. With no fan interest, I would be all over that.

As a fan, I think and hope Nova will find a way to win, but I think it will be close if they manage to. I could bet Michigan +7 or +7.5 and still root for Nova. It would make watching the game a little awkward. I just don't know what I am going to do yet. I have to give it some more thought. Any thoughts on my dilemma or the game?

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    I am a huge Villanova basketball fan. Being a Philly guy they are my second favorite sports team behind the Eagles. I attended many Nova basketball games during my 8 years in Philly. So I have enjoyed the run this years team is making. Could be a magical year for an Eagles / Nova fan.

So the problem is I think Michigan matches up very well with Nova. Michigan's strength is defending the three point shot, which is Nova's game. Statistically I believe they may be #1 in the country, but don't hold me to that. If I had no fan interest, Michigan +7 (opened at 6.5) or +7.5 looks like a strong wager to me. With no fan interest, I would be all over that.

As a fan, I think and hope Nova will find a way to win, but I think it will be close if they manage to. I could bet Michigan +7 or +7.5 and still root for Nova. It would make watching the game a little awkward. I just don't know what I am going to do yet. I have to give it some more thought. Any thoughts on my dilemma or the game?

I'm from two hours west of Philadelphia originally, kewlJ, so salute. The weird thing is I'm in a bracket pool from back home, and if Villanova wins, I finish second in the pool. But literally half the people in the pool picked Villanova to win, so it was a very, very tough pool. Literally eight people in the pool had a Michigan/Villanova final. Nobody bought into the Virginia, UNC, Duke nonsense.

I said two months ago the only good team was Villanova, and possibly Michigan State. Well, it turned out Michigan State looked like hell, and it was revealed that the Big 10 was overrated. Michigan State looked bad both games, Ohio State looked terrible, Purdue looked okay at best in two games. Michigan played the best down the stretch, and they continued that (and don't forget Penn State in the NIT showed they have rebooted their program).

I don't think you can lay seven, really. Just root, root, root for the home team. I think Villanova wins, but laying seven is silly. Why do you want to bet the big high profile things? The hell with them. They're all anomalies, anyway. Michigan sucks -- team speed of a glacier. If they get down 10, they're probably dead. Their center saved their ass the last two games.

And here's a plug for Cook E. Jarr. He's from our neck of the woods, so if he's performing tomorrow at Paris, he'll likely have a monetary interest in the game.

KewlJ, one last note. As a young man, I watched Big Five basketball on the local Philly station. Villanova, St. Joe's, Temple, LaSalle, and Penn. They played really good hoops.
    Last edited by redietz; 04-01-2018 at 04:38 PM.

I have decided to just root for my team. As a sports fan of a team, what more can you ask for than your team playing for the championship. Why complicate things.

Thread Information