Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling armed to anywhere...

Ive had this talk with Druff a few times in the past. But I love road trips, especially on that I-15 Barstow to Las Vegas any time of the day. Love seeing the sunrise or set on that wide open road and getting to that final downhill slide to Primm. I also enjoy driving to Reno or West Wendover to Utah, any where. For me, the road trip is half the vacation.

Anyways, I always hit the road armed, usually with a Sig Sauer 9mm pistol, a few extra magazines and solid LED flashlight. This gives me peace of mind having the essentials- road pistol, old school GPS, credit card, flashlight and cell phone. And staying at a hotel, yes, the pistol is in the ready as I dont know who could be knocking at my door. Its all part of a system for me.

Anyone else road trip armed?
    Last edited by Desertrunner; 11-13-2017 at 01:48 AM.

Add- When it comes to flashlights, I do NOT go cheap. I like the police style Streamlight rechargeable LED Stingers. They are heavy duty and will last you a lifetime. You can find them cheap on ebay and you can also add the TerraLux LED upgrade if you want. There are a number of other flashlights out there, but I highly recommend the Stinger.

Also recommend a good folding tactical knife like Spyderco, Kershaw, Benchmade, 5-11, etc. I carry a 5-11 on me, but might get a Spyderco down the line. There are so many makes and models out there, you'll find what you like. You also might like a multi-tool, I recommend The Wingman from Leatherman.

As for guns and knives, Nutnfancy on YouTube has some pretty good reviews as well. I highly recommend his channel.

The Stinger-

My current 5-11 knife-

Name:  M-PT-5-11-8.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  31.0 KB
    Last edited by Desertrunner; 11-13-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Every night when I take my midnight constitutional I grab my Surefire E2D LED light and Maxam lock-blade.

I don't keep any of my guns in the car, although I have a current CWP.

Guess I'm that guy you've read about, the one who brings a knife to a gun fight.

Name:  surefire.png
Views: 762
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  maxam knife.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  3.3 KB
    Last edited by MisterV; 11-14-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    What, Me Worry?

Side note- This thread was inspired by the Montana road trip pictures posted by Druff.

I don't know, guys. This seems almost like a silly debate. I have a friend who was a sniper and was in charge of a SORT team. My brother-in-law was a relatively high profile PI. The problem with carrying is the assumption it makes you safer. Unless you run into some big-time social situation like the Las Vegas massacre, it may not. The problem is that in the majority (some would say vast majority) of the situations where you are threatened by someone with a firearm, they have the drop on you. That's the reality. If you are carrying, that can lead to you making poor decisions regarding a course of action or, if they discover the firearm on you, the hostile being much more nervous than he/she would have been if you did not have a weapon. Plus, unless you're a real good shot, what's the advantage?

Then there's the other question -- if this thread was inspired by mickey's road pictures, what are you really defending by carrying a firearm? Most people don't lug more than 10K around with them at any given time, so is it really worth pulling out a firearm to defend 10K?

Human life is cheap, at least when it's "in season," and armed robbers are always in season.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I don't know, guys. This seems almost like a silly debate. I have a friend who was a sniper and was in charge of a SORT team. My brother-in-law was a relatively high profile PI. The problem with carrying is the assumption it makes you safer. Unless you run into some big-time social situation like the Las Vegas massacre, it may not. The problem is that in the majority (some would say vast majority) of the situations where you are threatened by someone with a firearm, they have the drop on you. That's the reality. If you are carrying, that can lead to you making poor decisions regarding a course of action or, if they discover the firearm on you, the hostile being much more nervous than he/she would have been if you did not have a weapon. Plus, unless you're a real good shot, what's the advantage?
    Sorry bro, you post doesnt make much sense. But I am not down with being a victim, have training and will take the precautions to protect myself on the road or in person as needed.

As for your brother in law, everyone seems to know someone and he isnt even a real LEO, so thats a no credibility statement there.

Then there's the other question -- if this thread was inspired by mickey's road pictures, what are you really defending by carrying a firearm? Most people don't lug more than 10K around with them at any given time, so is it really worth pulling out a firearm to defend 10K?
    Money is not an issue here, its self defense. I am saying what I do on a routine road trip- What I bring and use for safety and survival. I dont get where youre coming from, your questions and statements are so odd and off topic.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post

redietz- I need to add that I think youre confusing "carrying concealed weapon" with having a firearm for protection in your car. They are two very distinct arenas in personal protection.

I drive 225 miles to reno each way to reno 50 weekends a year for the last 19 years. Some of the drive(about 60 miles),,,,in through 2 lane widy roads though the sierras. I have thought about "what if" scenarios where i get a blowout or mechanical troubles at night on 1-80 in that area. And I figured, that if someone had a gun and wanted to rob me...they would already have the advantage as the surprise factor would be their advantage...rendering my gun useless. And then what if someone stopped to help me, got a glimpse of the gun and ran away.....leaving open to getting hit by a large truck as me and my wife stay in my car to keep warm in frigid temps...in an area where cell phone connections are sparse. There are gun shows at the reno convention center a couple times a year and I thought about it...but so far after approx 1000 trips I havent had the need.
    I am not saying that I will never run into a situation where I wish I had a gun,,,,,I guess I like playing the odds....

I do not carry a gun and would not. I have been shot at. Now with that said I have a question for you carriers:

Would you fire first?

The problem I see with most gun owners is that they want a gun for protection. But unless you are willing to shoot first you are likely to get yourself killed when the bad guy sees your gun. So are you willing to shoot first?

I have thought about this though...it may not happen in my lifetime(just over 60) ..but you see movies where there is some disaster that causes a city to evacuate....and in the movies the worst you see is long lines of cars out of town....gridlock.

But what about the bad guys.....knowing that almost every car is fillled with valuables...jewelry, coin collections,collectables . So what if "bad guys" on motorcycles, singly or acting in unison robbed the cars that are in gridlock. Again, I doubt a gun would help me....might get me killed if I shoot someone and his gang member riddles my car with bullets.

If a dude is shooting up a movie theater I am in.....my gun would be useless..and probably get me killed if i stood up and tried to shoot.

Very rarely i hear about an immigrant person sorking at a 7-11 who gets a gun pulled on him/her and calls the bluff, pulls his own gun and shoots or scares away the robber. But usually the robber has the advantage....before someoe could reach for a gun. I would rather have a silent alarm buttin in the case,,,,,accessible to my foot and hand,

people willing to shoot first andask questions later wold not be someone who has worked all their life, accumulated wealth, and then risk having it all taken away if you are wrong.

If i didnt have a pot to piss in,,,,,yeah i would shoot first in almost all cases

Larry the problem is if the bad guy has a gun and you have a gun but you won't shoot first... then you're dead.

If you won't shoot first don't get caught having a gun.

Turn sideways to the shooter to make a smaller target. Deliver a tight pattern with a lot of lead, Wild Bill Hickock style. Countless people have died with their last thought being "If I had only had a gun."

PS: I keep plenty of gear in the trunk of my car in case of a breakdown in frigid weather.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

thusands of people may have thought that....but very few would have lived anyway

Mickey if anyone approaches you with a gun to rob you I promise you the following:

1. Turning sideways won't matter.
    2. They'll shoot you before you even can reach your gun.

Also using a gun doesnt always means you know the other persobn has a gun, then you run into the issue of legal force necessary. There hav been cases where a person is hot in someones home and gets nailed with excessive force. The point s, if someone is in your homes while you sleep...they probably know where you are and you dont know where they are......advantage robber. And if they wanted you dead....you are dead with or without a gun.

The last few posts exhibit the finer aspects of defeatism.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Mickeycrimm I don't want you to have a gun. I think you're more likely to kill someone who doesn't deserve to be killed or you might get killed yourself if you do have a gun.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    Mickeycrimm I don't want you to have a gun. I think you're more likely to kill someone who doesn't deserve to be killed or you might get killed yourself if you do have a gun.
    Here's a real life example, Alan. One of my sisters was driving a lonely road. A car came up behind her filled with men. They made three attempts to run her off the road with the maneuver the cops use to make a car spin out. What were they up to? Were they going to rape and kill her? She didn't know. But she pulled out her gun and pointed it at the car. The car sped away.

Thread Information