Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alan Mendelson has passed - r.i.p.

I was thinking today about the fact that Alan started this forum way back in 2010, and nobody would be here right now if it weren't for him.

This thread kinda came and went, and it's possible that some people here (especially lurkers) are unaware that he passed.

I've decided to put up an RIP banner (though 2 months after the fact). Eventually I will take the banner down, and instead sticky this thread. One good thing which resulted from my takeover years back is that this forum will live on long after Alan passed.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I was thinking today about the fact that Alan started this forum way back in 2010, and nobody would be here right now if it weren't for him.

This thread kinda came and went, and it's possible that some people here (especially lurkers) are unaware that he passed.

I've decided to put up an RIP banner (though 2 months after the fact). Eventually I will take the banner down, and instead sticky this thread. One good thing which resulted from my takeover years back is that this forum will live on long after Alan passed.
    FYI: Alan passed due to natural causes, per the Death Certificate. His transplants weakened his immune system over time and his body just gave in to infection. It simply shut down.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    FYI: Alan passed due to natural causes, per the Death Certificate. His transplants weakened his immune system over time and his body just gave in to infection. It simply shut down.
    Probably on anti-rejection medication, which severely limits the immune system. I don't recall the time of his transplants, even that he mentioned such, as pre-2012, or, later, when new, experimental methods of didn't rely so much on anti-rejection medication. Certainly, transplants, themselves, don't weaken the immune system. But, the myth that transplants become more compatible with the host.

RIP Original Site Founder Alan Mendelson, one thousand nine hundred fifty-two - two thousand twenty-two.
    --->

Narrowing the Field: Sudden Death Elimination! (Naruto episode).

https://anagram-solver.net/RIP%20Ori...o?partial=true

The numbers 4, 14 and 24 are associated with death for Cantonese-speaking Chinese people, as the words for these numbers sound like the words for "death", "must die" and "easy to die", respectively.
    Now I realize that 124 was meant to mean death by all of the above. (And, that post #459, in the climate thread, comes from the integer approximation of absolute zero, at about -459.67 . I guess that I've, finally, finally hit it. Ha. Interestingly, 459 is 1224 ---> 124 in base 7.)

Mystery solved! As confirmed informally by the following.

RIP Original Site Founder Alan Mendelson, nineteen fifty-two - twenty twenty-two.
    --->

Institute of Translation and Interpreting.

https://anagram-solver.net/RIP%20Ori...o?partial=true

TheGrimReaper
    Gold

125 --------> (1 + 124) ---> 1/124, its inverse.
    Last edited by TheGrimReaper; 01-20-2023 at 09:40 AM.
    Drug Rehabilitation + Haliburton County for the local thus clinics. The one in Haliburton town temporarily closed yields the closest, 4cast. 137 posts at NetVoid's forum, + 184 here =321.0, to overlap 3456 at the 3's, as the dimensions from 0 to 6, four by four.bb

The unused, Zodiac bits: 'dakadu, Lake+151?s (164 char. max) seed the final two lines of the anagram solver -of lies/revenge. Franc Baconis for the capital L yields 141=69+ᘔᘖ; 397=[(10-6+9-1)^3-(1+ᘔ+ᘖ+1)^3].

Thanks. CIA.0!

Ha.

Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    Probably on anti-rejection medication, which severely limits the immune system. I don't recall the time of his transplants, even that he mentioned such, as pre-2012, or, later, when new, experimental methods of didn't rely so much on anti-rejection medication. Certainly, transplants, themselves, don't weaken the immune system. But, the myth that transplants become more compatible with the host.
    See, dude, all your number talk throughout this post (which I didn't quote) is just crazy talk.

But I am interested to hear more about newer methods for transplant after 2012 that require less or no anti-rejection medication. I googled but didn't find anything.

My understanding is that the body should reject anything foreign whether transplanted organs like Alan had, to heart valves like I have, to even a pacemaker. Anti-rejection medication is needed to minimize that chance or rejection, but at the expense of the immune system. This medication is preventing the immune system from doing what it is supposed to do.

With my heart valve replacement, I only needed to take actual anti-rejection medicine orally for a couple days. But the mechanical valve is coated with anti rejection medication, that releases slowly over time, over years.

Now that is a mechanical valve or device. I wouldn't presume that could be duplicated with an actual organ. So I am interested to hear of what advancements you are referring to because while I am not comparing my valve replacement, to organ transplants as Alan had, it is the same ballpark. The concern is the immune system. Patients need to work as keeping their immune system as strong as possible. Eating at least somewhat healthy. Maintain a healthy weight and exercise regularly. Everyone should do these things anyway, but it really is essential to try to keep your immune system as strong as possible when you are on medication (or a time released coating of medication), that works by weakening that very immune system.

I didn't know Alan very well. Just some communication with him online on forums and PM's. He seemed like the kind of guy that would do everything he needed to do to maintain as strong an immune system as possible while taking the medication, but it is a delicate balance. I would think exercise is a particular concern among older people, who tend to get arthritis and normal old age stuff and probably start getting less exercise than they should.

Probably have to relate your google searches to the particular organs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...find-rcna33833

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...tion-tolerance

https://www.google.com/search?q=kidn...t=firefox-b-ab

And, discuss it with a nephrologist, or, have your cardiologist talk to one in your behalf.

As for your heart valve, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Made to outlive the host, in any event. However, if you are on a blood thinner, say, warfarin, but, require bridging to heparin (for whatever surgery), too much over a short period of time can affect the valve, at least require another look at it.

TheGrimReaper
    Gold

126 ------------> Like 162, or 163, if I recall, are highly sought-after Chinese phone, internet, IP or whatever numerals. 126 = 6*21 --> 621. A fuckingly wonderful property of numerals, on its own.
    Drug Rehabilitation + Haliburton County for the local thus clinics. The one in Haliburton town temporarily closed yields the closest, 4cast. 137 posts at NetVoid's forum, + 184 here =321.0, to overlap 3456 at the 3's, as the dimensions from 0 to 6, four by four.bb

The unused, Zodiac bits: 'dakadu, Lake+151?s (164 char. max) seed the final two lines of the anagram solver -of lies/revenge. Franc Baconis for the capital L yields 141=69+ᘔᘖ; 397=[(10-6+9-1)^3-(1+ᘔ+ᘖ+1)^3].

Thanks. CIA.0!

Ha.

Nice tribute to Alan, Dan.

Alan was a mercurical lightning rod over the years on various gambling forums.

I first ran across him (egad...has it been that long?) DECADES ago.

He like myself enjoyed gambling and participated on various forums related to gambling.

He was opinionated and argumentative: really, that is NOT a bad thing, especially when as with Alan one does not frequently resort to dirty tricks such as brutal ad hominem attacks.

He basically played a clean game.

Oh sure, I gave him shit as did many others but he expected and perhaps somewhat enjoyed it, so no harm, no foul.

RIP Alan, you are missed.
    What, Me Worry?

Thank you for the links, grim reaper.

Just out of curiosity, what is your interest in this topic? You or maybe family member had a transplant?

I also take a little exception to the comments about a medical device "designed to outlive the patient" or even less specific designed to last xxx years. I was told 25 years after my first valve replacement and got 6. so just something that sort of irritates me when I hear or read that.

The ribbon is an appropriately nice touch for this site.
    Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

wrong thread
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally Posted by jpfromla View Post
    It's tacky at best. It is basically the MaxPen tagline of every MaxPen post.
    Better would of been something on the bottom of the page acknowledging the original owner.
    I imagine Alan rolling around in his grave as the MaxPen tagline "RIP" is the first thing you see when you open this site lol.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by jpfromla View Post
    It's tacky at best. It is basically the MaxPen tagline of every MaxPen post.
    Better would of been something on the bottom of the page acknowledging the original owner.
    I imagine Alan rolling around in his grave as the MaxPen tagline "RIP" is the first thing you see when you open this site lol.
    Hopefully the RIP man is above ground Is it just a coincidence he left at the same time as Singer ?

Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Hopefully the RIP man is above ground Is it just a coincidence he left at the same time as Singer ?
    Well, Barney posted somewhat recently, so the RIP man is probably doing fine.

Name:  
Views: 
Size:

When you three go, they're going to throw you in the same hole.
    ---> Metro Toronto Housing Authority. [Serves also the Kitchener-Waterloo area]

https://anagram-solver.net/when%20yo...e?partial=true

Literally the first thing that I typed into the solver. I have no idea how I do it. Anyway, watching you guys post is like watching a grapefruit, lemon, and plum, come up. The first is too much, the second never says anything, and, the third gives a person the shits. Ha.

The first is too much, the second never says anything, and, the third gives a person the shits. Ha.
    --->

Chinese coinage during the five Dynasties and ten States.
    Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder treatments.
    The Paying-out Machinery of the Great Eastern in the Stern.

https://anagram-solver.net/The%20fir....?partial=true

Well, the last anagram with gematria took me three quick tries.

Gold
    TheGrimReaper's AvatarJoin Date
    Sep 2022
    128 ---------------------------------> 128 = 2^7 ---> 27. Perhaps, there's a 1961 in there somewhere. Ah, 128 = 16*8 = 16*(9 - 1) ---> 1691, or 1961.
    Last edited by TheGrimReaper; 01-21-2023 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks. CIA.0!

Ha.

Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    Name:  
Views: 
Size:

When you three go, they're going to throw you in the same hole.
    ---> Metro Toronto Housing Authority. [Serves also the Kitchener-Waterloo area]

https://anagram-solver.net/when%20yo...e?partial=true

Literally the first thing that I typed into the solver. I have no idea how I do it. Anyway, watching you guys post is like watching a grapefruit, lemon, and plum, come up. The first is too much, the second never says anything, and, the third gives a person the shits. Ha.

The first is too much, the second never says anything, and, the third gives a person the shits. Ha.
    --->

Chinese coinage during the five Dynasties and ten States.
    Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder treatments.
    The Paying-out Machinery of the Great Eastern in the Stern.

https://anagram-solver.net/The%20fir....?partial=true

Well, the last anagram with gematria took me three quick tries.

Gold
    TheGrimReaper's AvatarJoin Date
    Sep 2022
    128 ---------------------------------> 128 = 2^7 ---> 27. Perhaps, there's a 1961 in there somewhere. Ah, 128 = 16*8 = 16*(9 - 1) ---> 1691, or 1961.
    Be more specific and less cryptic.
    Tell us how you really feel!
    I enjoy your crazy.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Be more specific and less cryptic. Tell us how you really feel!
    Hmm, had to think about that one a little bit, with the help of the anagram-with-gematra solver as usual. After I took my focus off you, it worked, first try, again. What you call hit, and run, or just walk away. About all you can do with him, a fuckingly funny man.

I do the cryptic stuff to keep ole Accountinquestion at bay. Ha.
    ---> Failure to stop at the scene of an accident.

https://anagram-solver.net/I%20do%20....?partial=true

Thanks. CIA.0!

Ha.

The RIP guy (is that what we are calling him now), certainly didn't leave due to anything involving Singer. He loved exposing Singer and proving him a fraud and liar, which he did numerous times. But there is another member that showed up in current forum just about that same time, that I believe RIP guy found problematic to be around even on a forum.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    The RIP guy (is that what we are calling him now), certainly didn't leave due to anything involving Singer. He loved exposing Singer and proving him a fraud and liar, which he did numerous times. But there is another member that showed up in current forum just about that same time, that I believe RIP guy found problematic to be around even on a forum.
    RIP guy grew weary of getting his clock cleaned by me. He tucked his tail between his legs and ran away.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    RIP guy grew weary of getting his clock cleaned by me. He tucked his tail between his legs and ran away.
    No he didn't. He enjoyed fighting with you, just as you do fighting with him, both saying things you knew were not true.

No he didn't. He enjoyed fighting with you, just as you do fighting with him, both saying things you knew were not true.
    He’s locked up

Originally Posted by Seedvalue View Post

He’s locked up
    No kidding? What's the backstory? One of the things I hammered him on was not being a legitimate AP. That came from his own writing. I have to wonder if his incarceration is gambling related.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Thread Information