Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LV Stay at Home is AK

I've showed this rifle before but here it is again.
    I bought the Pelican Case a few years ago and never really used it once.
    You can see it doesn't have any sign of use or wear.
    I also bought an electric knife to cut the foam foam out but haven't even opened the knife box lol.
    Some people think that is strong if you understand what someone means when they say that in a certain context.
    Personally I think when you buy something and don't use it for years you are just wasting resources.
    This rifle is probably too much for me and serves no purpose other than a trophy I suppose.
    Looking forward to learning about it more and actually using it.

I was thinking about selling it but I would just get itchy later and buy another.
    I did this with my first M1A 6 years or so ago.
    That one was a basic model bought out new but this one is more advanced and used.
    Of course these days I don't think I would sell any of my guns or ammo.
    I am probably in the market to buy and keep buying currently.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by monet; 04-09-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    Monet, love the gun pics. I really like your short barrel shotgun with pistol-grip. I have a mossberg 500a with a 20" barrel, but it has such a beautiful wood stock and fore-end that I don't have the heart to swap out the stock with a poly pistol grip. It definitely adds a lot more length than yours though unfortunately.
    I hear you loud and clear.
    It certainly has been an ongoing debate for years now.
    Of course that pistol grip is a Mossberg 500 as well.
    Basic Stock or at least I never made any modifications to it.
    Personally it is one of the easier weapons to handle, very little recoil and has great versatility.
    20 Gauge so you have to listen to the 12 Gauge lovers call you Alice, Woman or a Little Girl.

Honestly though, I have Super X Rifled Slug Hollow Points for it and they will take down a Deer easily at 70 yards.
    Bird Shot is fine for home defense no matter what anyone says but I prefer Slugs.
    Buckshot is always good too.
    Some people like to load the first two with bird, next two with buck and the rest with Slugs.
    I am sure you have heard the jokes.

That pistol grip is nice though cause its so easy to handle, lighter and compact.
    You can rattle off 6 shots very quick but usually the racking will scare any living human.
    For home defense it would most likely be my first choice if I had to choose.
    Like I say though, it is effective at 50 yards easily with slugs.
    Very inexpensive ranging from 200 to 300 dollars and the barrel is 18.5 inches.

I will be going out with my M1A very soon so I will upload some pictures.
    My Leupold Mark AR Scope needs to be adjusted as it was off way to the left last time I fired it.
    Not that I wanted a scope but when I bought this Super Match M1A Model the previous owner already had it mounted.

The truth is I am very green with the M1A and am still trying to read up and learn how to get it sighted.
    Now that we have the lock down I have plenty of time and desire to get it right and learn.
    The main problem with this weapon is the weight... very heavy.
    Just lugging it around the countryside wears me out. (I'm old and out of shape)
    What am I going to do though as I always wanted an older style type of rifle like the M14/M1A.
    It has been sitting in my closet for the last few years begging for attention and it is about to get it as I just bought over 2000 rounds.
    Nice! Didn’t realize it was a 20 gauge. I like it even more now! I have four 12 gauge shotguns including the short barreled one but frankly for the reasons you mentioned, the defensive gun doesn’t need to be a 12 gauge. If it travels with me under back bench seat in the truck I’ll load it with slugs and or 00 buck. When at home the first shells out would be #4 bird shot followed by 4 buck. Since I rarely exercise that gun I’d probably be better off if it was a 20 gauge.

While your stay on quarantine, consider visiting https://romsplanet.com/roms/super-nintendo to get some fresh air with retro gaming

Originally Posted by muryan View Post
    While your stay on quarantine, consider visiting https://romsplanet.com/roms/super-nintendo to get some fresh air with retro gaming
    Come on!
    That's Weak!!
    I still plug in my Nintendo once or twice a week to my TV.
    I run through Tyson's Punch Out, Tecmo Bowl, Excitebike, Tetris and a few other games.
    Nintendo Thumb or Gamers Thumb is real!!
    Now I have to go take a picture of my Nintendo and Cartridges.

I used to plug in the Atari 2600 but that Nostalgia wore off long ago.
    Those games were so much better in the early 80s on my 13 inch black and white tv.
    NES has had replay value for me now over 30 years!!

Don't make me dig out my Pong System and see if I can still hook it up!!
    Wish I still had ColecoVision just to show you all up but I got rid of it long ago. (sad face)
    Last edited by monet; 04-10-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Come on!
    That's Weak!!
    I run through Tyson's Punch Out, Tecmo Bowl, Excitebike, Tetris and a few other games.

Those games were so much better in the early 80s on my 13 inch black and white tv.

Wish I still had ColecoVision just to show you all up but I got rid of it long ago. (sad face)
    I really liked the Mattel Intellivison. I would play the baseball with others back when it was new. I guess I could get another one or play an emulator if I really wanted to.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Come on!
    That's Weak!!

I really liked the Mattel Intellivison. I would play the baseball with others back when it was new. I guess I could get another one or play an emulator if I really wanted to.
    The Intellivision controller was a love/ hate item. So much more advanced than the 2600 joystick. You would get the sheet to slide over it to show what buttons to use. Do you remember when they made the special big controller for the baseball game. State of the art for the time.

Heading out to the Mountain.
    Catch you all later.
    Don't forget... Blades of Steel!

It seems like only yesterday we were all geeking out over the Commodore 64!!
    Last edited by monet; 04-10-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post

Come on!
    That's Weak!!

The Intellivision controller was a love/ hate item. So much more advanced than the 2600 joystick. You would get the sheet to slide over it to show what buttons to use. Do you remember when they made the special big controller for the baseball game. State of the art for the time.
    I have a vague recollection of it Boz. However, I just used the standard ones connected to the console by the telephone-like cords. I remember the Intellivoice add-on that one of my friends who was pretty well off bought so that he could play B-17 Bomber.

Heading out to the Mountain.
    Catch you all later.
    Don't forget... Blades of Steel!

It seems like only yesterday we were all geeking out over the Commodore 64!!
    I remember what an excellent job they did with those games - especially Super Mario Bros., which wasn't too far off from its coin-up analogue.
    Last edited by tableplay; 04-10-2020 at 03:23 PM.

I prefer the RPG games. Last few years the randomizers and tournaments have taken over these old classics.

I'm getting ready to head out to the bank.
    After that I am heading out to the wilderness again.
    I don't believe in this Stay at Home business.
    For everyone staying at home I sure do see a lot of people in the desert lately.
    When I drove home before sunset yesterday I seen another motorcycle cop giving someone a speeding ticket.
    Heartless bastards got to make that quota I suppose.
    Here are a few pictures of yesterday near the Wetlands Park in Las Vegas.
    I thought that place would be closed but the parking lot was packed.
    I drove around the other side and went into the desert where you see people riding motorcycles and 4 wheelers.
    Last edited by monet; 04-16-2020 at 11:27 AM.

Try this again as I am not sure how many pictures you can actually post.
    Last edited by monet; 04-16-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Culture Victory Turn 211
    Deity
    Standard
    Fractal Map
    Playing as France

Ooops wrong Forum lol
    I guess we got nothing to do but Video Games and Jack Off Magazines - Happy Gilmore

Finally got around to taking the M1A out to sight it in.
    Started out early Saturday Morning and by 8am it was already getting too hot.
    My wife only took 4 shots and her face was drenched in sweat after that lol.
    I had a great time in those couple of hours.
    I have no clue what I am doing and not sure this is a good scope or not.
    Have to call to find out the exact specs here soon.
    I'm looking at buying some new glass though and thought I was going with a Vortex.
    I am curious about the Sig Sauer BDX system though.
    I'd rather learn how to do all the math by myself but for the price I get a range finder with that scope.
    I've seen good and bad but if you get it all synced up it looks really good.
    Just point and click.
    Here is a 4 second video and some pictures.
    We got to see the sunrise which was really nice.
    How anyone can hate America is beyond me.
    Greatest Country on Earth!

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    Monet, love the gun pics. I really like your short barrel shotgun with pistol-grip. I have a mossberg 500a with a 20" barrel, but it has such a beautiful wood stock and fore-end that I don't have the heart to swap out the stock with a poly pistol grip. It definitely adds a lot more length than yours though unfortunately.
    Short barrel shotguns' only advantage is the ability to hide them within one's clothing. If you're shooting slugs, you want the greater control of a full length rifle.

For instance: I recently picked up a S&W Model 500, 50 magnum cal. I got the short barrel version but I tried the longest available first. Much more accurate and controllable at 20 yards. But I'm not a fan of large handguns.

Just got back from the Gunsmith.
    Turns out this Leopold Scope and mount is set up for an AR 15 (.223)
    He said it can be used on this weapon but it's not calibrated for it.
    He suggested to take this mount off though as he wouldn't use it for the M1A.
    I think I will take it all off and buy a mount and scope that is more suited for the M1A.
    So I can either buy an AR 15 now and use this scope or sell/trade it in.
    That means I will have to buy a bunch of ammo if I buy a new rifle.

Just got back from the Gunsmith.
    Turns out this Leopold Scope and mount is set up for an AR 15 (.223)
    He said it can be used on this weapon but it's not calibrated for it.
    He suggested to take this mount off though as he wouldn't use it for the M1A.
    I think I will take it all off and buy a mount and scope that is more suited for the M1A.
    So I can either buy an AR 15 now and use this scope or sell/trade it in.
    That means I will have to buy a bunch of ammo if I buy a new rifle.
    How do you mount the red dot on the AK? It seems too forward to be mounted on normal side rail (did you know overseas they the side-rail is actually not common at all?) I see the forward mounting on AK style guns. Not sure why that is? I always put mine further back since there are no eye relief issues. I also bought a MAGA gun I will give you a picture of but don't have it with me. Red buckmaster.. 22lr has rails on top of it already with threaded barrel.

I recently bought a 308 VEPR and have bought a nice side-rail for it. May put a aimpoint on it but trying to slow down on the spending. I feel like inflation is going to eat it up so might as well splurge. This VEPR may become my rifle for the car. 308 vs 223. I'm still looking to buy 300 win mag. There was a BAR old school belgium made for a good price but I didn't want to drive to the city over. I bought 5k of 22LR rounds. it will be a long time before i shoot through all that. The BAR was only $800 though for a semi auto 300 win mag.. a real patriot's gun and if it is stolen you're out 1k not 3k.
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

Originally Posted by accountinquestion View Post
    How do you mount the red dot on the AK? It seems too forward to be mounted on normal side rail (did you know overseas they the side-rail is actually not common at all?) I see the forward mounting on AK style guns. Not sure why that is? I always put mine further back since there are no eye relief issues. I also bought a MAGA gun I will give you a picture of but don't have it with me. Red buckmaster.. 22lr has rails on top of it already with threaded barrel.

I recently bought a 308 VEPR and have bought a nice side-rail for it. May put a aimpoint on it but trying to slow down on the spending. I feel like inflation is going to eat it up so might as well splurge. This VEPR may become my rifle for the car. 308 vs 223. I'm still looking to buy 300 win mag. There was a BAR old school belgium made for a good price but I didn't want to drive to the city over. I bought 5k of 22LR rounds. it will be a long time before i shoot through all that. The BAR was only $800 though for a semi auto 300 win mag.. a real patriot's gun and if it is stolen you're out 1k not 3k.
    Wish I could answer your question but seeing how I have no clue what I have or am doing I just can't answer.
    I bought the AK 47 from the same guy who sold me the M1A.
    That was almost 4 years ago and I am not just getting around to them.
    I have a bad habit of buying things and just letting them sit for years.
    I'm really good at buying high and selling low too!
    Both were used weapons and already set up.
    It seems he kinda rigged this M1A wrong so I wouldn't be surprised if the AK 47 is rigged up incorrectly as you are stating/asking.
    It took me some time to figure out that I needed batteries to get the red dot to work.
    I've owned and sold a few prior to this but I never scoped them.
    Not sure that they need a scope or red dot but since this already came that way I just went with it.
    Also, I haven't done much shooting in the last 3 to 4 years so they just have basically sat around relaxing in my house.
    Trying to get more serious about it now.
    I like to invest my money into Guns and Ammo because I think they hold their value better than most things.
    I would honestly rather have a bunch of weapons than say a block of gold in case the SHTF.
    I just think they will be more valuable for trade, defense or offensive situations.
    A guy asked me why I wanted to buy a Barrett 50 Cal today and I explained that it seemed like a good place to invest my money.
    Yes the ammo costs an arm and a leg if you don't reload but I figure one day we won't be allowed to buy this gun anymore.
    It will only increase in dollar value and I could never see it losing money.
    Of course the gold would be easier to carry around I suppose.

I was just reading about the Bassett Mount that can be taken on and off of the M14/M1A so I'm gonna buy a couple of those.
    Seems very practical so I can shoot with the iron sights and if I like I can quickly put a scope on.
    I'm still undecided on the Scope though as now I am looking into Zeiss.
    It is an overload of information but trying to learn myself is problematic because the internet has so many rabbit holes.
    Eventually, I will just have to dive in and see where it leads me.
    On a positive not I did buy some AR500 Steel Targets so I'm hoping that will be good fun.
    Good price point and somewhat easy set up with a 2x4.
    They have good reviews but at only 170 dollars each I figure I can't loose too much money if they are horrible.
    This whole thing is a ton of work.
    I have to buy a gun vice and learn how to bore sight and all sorts of other things.
    I'd like to just pay some gunsmith to do everything but all of them are 60 to 90 days Full on projects.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Originally Posted by accountinquestion View Post

Wish I could answer your question but seeing how I have no clue what I have or am doing I just can't answer.
    I bought the AK 47 from the same guy who sold me the M1A.
    That was almost 4 years ago and I am not just getting around to them.
    I have a bad habit of buying things and just letting them sit for years.
    I'm really good at buying high and selling low too!
    Both were used weapons and already set up.
    It seems he kinda rigged this M1A wrong so I wouldn't be surprised if the AK 47 is rigged up incorrectly as you are stating/asking.
    It took me some time to figure out that I needed batteries to get the red dot to work.
    I've owned and sold a few prior to this but I never scoped them.
    Not sure that they need a scope or red dot but since this already came that way I just went with it.
    Also, I haven't done much shooting in the last 3 to 4 years so they just have basically sat around relaxing in my house.
    Trying to get more serious about it now.
    I like to invest my money into Guns and Ammo because I think they hold their value better than most things.
    I would honestly rather have a bunch of weapons than say a block of gold in case the SHTF.
    I just think they will be more valuable for trade, defense or offensive situations.
    A guy asked me why I wanted to buy a Barrett 50 Cal today and I explained that it seemed like a good place to invest my money.
    Yes the ammo costs an arm and a leg if you don't reload but I figure one day we won't be allowed to buy this gun anymore.
    It will only increase in dollar value and I could never see it losing money.
    Of course the gold would be easier to carry around I suppose.

I was just reading about the Bassett Mount that can be taken on and off of the M14/M1A so I'm gonna buy a couple of those.
    Seems very practical so I can shoot with the iron sights and if I like I can quickly put a scope on.
    I'm still undecided on the Scope though as now I am looking into Zeiss.
    It is an overload of information but trying to learn myself is problematic because the internet has so many rabbit holes.
    Eventually, I will just have to dive in and see where it leads me.
    On a positive not I did buy some AR500 Steel Targets so I'm hoping that will be good fun.
    Good price point and somewhat easy set up with a 2x4.
    They have good reviews but at only 170 dollars each I figure I can't loose too much money if they are horrible.
    This whole thing is a ton of work.
    I have to buy a gun vice and learn how to bore sight and all sorts of other things.
    I'd like to just pay some gunsmith to do everything but all of them are 60 to 90 days Full on projects.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    You don't need a vice to bore sight. You get a laser that is the shape of a bullet, put it in the chamber and have it line up with the scope. (well my understanding) The hard part would be getting it at right elevation at whatever range you sight it in. Scopes for most part are pretty easy if you know your distance to target and it is ~100 yards. Take 5 shot group on paper. Adjust the knobs as needed. I do it once every few years or whenever i take the guns out. usually a minute of accuracy is pretty much an inch at 100 yards. So if your scope if 4 clicks per MOA then you are 1 inch too low.. then you adjust it up 4 clicks. 4 clicks = 1 minute = 1 inch (at ~ 100 yards)

I dont know that much about guns but one of my close friends is pretty much an expert. I try to get him to find a 2nd hobby.

I think mounting the red-dot forward like that is totally normal. It seems like more serious people do it that way.. I could see it helping with targeting. Towards back of rifle it obstructs your field of view moreso.

I like shooting 50 rounds and calling it a day.. although i bought the 5k 22lr for tactical range training. Bought a little submachine replica german 22lr to shoot with.

Bad time to change out guns if you need more bullets. Prices will continue going up for quite some time.
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

I think the best value AR-15 platform out there right now is by Springfield Armory.....the Saint Victor series

https://www.springfield-armory.com/s...-ar-15-rifles/

I liked it so much I bought a ST. Victor AR-10 as well.

Thread Information