There are two really badly reviewed magic/illusion shows in Vegas. One is Criss Angel, whom I recently discussed at length.

The other is David Copperfield.

Yes, THAT David Copperfield.

But how is that possible? Isn't Copperfield super-rich and world famous? Doesn't he have a good reputation?

Yes and yes, but that doesn't stop him from putting on an unbelievably bad and uninspired show at MGM Grand.

Unlike Criss Angel, Copperfield actually DOES do magic tricks, though reviews on those tricks are mixed. The real problem is that David himself is beyond unenthusiastic, and clearly doesn't want to be there. If you read the Yelp reviews, they all say the same thing.

Really dissatisfied with his presentation. He was just walking through the show.

The magic was very good, but I would be ashamed of myself if I had his entertainment skills.
I'm sorry to say this was one of the worst shows I have ever seen. I know David Copperfield has been doing this show a long time and I wasn't expecting it to be the freshest, but he was so checked out and stale I was immediately uncomfortable. He mumbled through an overwritten script as fast as he could like he was trying to shave minutes off the show, which just meant we didn't really know what he was saying.

Another disappointment were the illusions in the show. So many of them relied on technology, which I don't find as entertaining as more traditional "magic". And I'm an enthusiastic audience member at magic shows. I love even simple things. But there wasn't much of that in the show.

Most of the show was a very cheesy storyline with a talking puppet. And it seemed like David hated that puppet as much as we did. He "talked" to it while looking off to the side, once again racing through lines as if it couldn't be over fast enough. Absolutely not worth the price of the ticket. Pick anything else.
PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING TICKETS! My wife and I go to Vegas often and we have seen numerous shows and have enjoyed them all. However the David Copperfield show was a HUGE disappointment! Please don't go here! There's so much I can say but I will try to keep it brief. David Copperfield is one of the original master magicians. I remember watching him as a kid. BUT...he has past his prime and it's time to hang up the magic wand. I hate to say that given all the great magic tricks I remember as a kid, but his passion for what he is doing has magically disappeared, as well as my $300! He rambled on with his dialog as if he didn't want to be there and needed to get off the stage ASAP. Most of the audience couldn't understand what he was saying because he sounds like he was reading from a script versus delivering a great performance. It was one big run-on sentence the entire show. Also the show started late, about 7:10pm. It ended at 8:17pm, so just over an hour. Very disappointed in him, and the MGM for promoting this show. Oh and they need to update his photo on their marketing because it's border line false advertising! He doesn't look the same any more so it actually took a minute to realize it was him when he first walked on stage haha. I laugh now but I sure wished I read all of the other poor reviews. This show would be great for young kids (minus the crude low key sexual dialogue) and definitely a max charge of $50 per ticket. Hopefully his contract with MGM is up soon so he can find something to do that he is passionate about.

There are so many others like this.

My question is... WHY?!

Copperfield is 66 years old. He is one of the richest men in the world. He owns 11 islands (I'm not kidding). Sure, this show is probably a nice money grab, but clearly he isn't enjoying it, and feels like it's a chore.

Why not just hang it up and enjoy life, with all of that money?

I would understand if he truly loved performing, and still kept at it despite being past his prime. Think of Dick Clark, who still trotted himself out on New Years Rockin' Eve each year, even after his stroke rendered him unable to speak normally. Like Copperfield, Clark was rich, but at least you could tell Clark loved being there.

Copperfield clearly does not enjoy what he's doing, so why do it anymore?

Very bizarre.