Thread: STRIP SHOOTING VERY BAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If religion is "the opium of the people," what, then, is gambling?
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    I can't answer this beyond saying gambling can mean different things to different people (action gamblers for adrenaline rush, escape from reality gamblers to numb life's problems, professionals wanting a living, etc.). Marx may have been incorrect in his quote of religion being the opiate of the masses. Religion can be deeply meaningful enough to some peoples' lives that it really can't be considered a pain-relieving opiate.

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
    There is no quantum world. There is only an abstract quantum physical description. It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how nature is. Physics concerns what we can say about nature...
    As there is a right and wrong way to do science, and the way, itself, varies given specific topics, with the above two quotes to generally describe quantum physics as opposed to relativity, there is a right and wrong way to look at and practise religion. The two are diametrically opposed, the quantum versus the relative, and their absolute forms, science versus religion, respectfully. Special relativity was first called "Jewish physics" by the scientific community, and ridiculed until it was borne out by experiments. On the other hand, Einstein never accepted the quantum or very small-scale randomness of the universe because he believed only in the harmonious laws of the universe as a whole. A whole that "just is" (its own reason or grounds for existing.)

To paraphrase the above paragraph, every thing exists, and so every thing makes sense in some way. Even mistakes exist, but aren't even mistakes when viewed in a different way. The quantum turns the usual rules of even set theory math on end. A particle's position smeared out into a wave is then as determinate or certain, but in a different manner. Surely, then, the particle is everywhere. The randomness of the quantum has its own order. This ties in with the notion of "madness" or "insanity" not being well-definable. How to be "mad" without some thought thrown in? More accurately, how to be "mad" without the thought or science of the quantum or the relative.

Hence, the search for something both less- quantum and, at the same time, less relative. Something which is the opposite of where the quantum and relative meet in full. Even in math, sometimes, the only solution to a problem is to assume the opposite of some stance is true, and then disprove it. Gambling, by AP or System-P, respectively, just seems to fit this mould. After all, the greatest form of gambling is in who we are, in terms of when, where and to whom we were born. In a sense, each of us is a guess solution/problem to the universe. We exist in a quantum-relative world, but defy this by being who we are, at least on the surface of things. (I recall a poster in an academic setting, "We are all [truly] mad.") And our universe was made for us, as we were made for it. Science often goes one way, and then another, and quite unexpectedly.

Cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR) strongly seems to at least suggest that man is at the center of the universe, with the universe mirrored in general and all around us by our own solar system. If special relativity is correct, we will never know for sure the planets here revolve around the sun, or the sun goes around the earth. The sensible, scientific conclusion is that they do, but a new debate about this is raging in the scientific community, given the CMBR's new, reaffirming evidence. Could it be that neither observation is entirely correct on its own, and that something else is going on with celestial motions? Nothing to do with the "earth is flat" society or school of thought, though the extra dimension seems hardly worth it.

The solution to the universe is, in the proverbial nutshell, I think, itself a series of random-like events that coexist or build together seamlessly while apart, but, notably, the opposite of the gambling sort, which lies somewhere between the more rigorous and grounded game theory analogy of the quantum, and the lack of fixed reference point, longitudinal and finite logic of the relative.

Originally Posted by OneHitWonder View Post
    The solution to the universe is
    Is this One of the flakes that begged Druff to ban Singer, because he/she was too intimidated to post anymore?

Originally Posted by coach belly View Post
    Is this One of the flakes that begged Druff to ban Singer, because he/she was too intimidated to post anymore?
    Well, I saved the blunt version of what I was trying to say above for the peanut gallery.

Gambling is the slowest but surest road to nowhere good. I mean the slowest and most demeaning. If you want to do something so crazy, it's better to vent in some other way, in any other way.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    You would think from reading these comments there had been numerous gambling type people turned mass murderer, as gambling must be the root of all mass murder.
    Yes, I did think. True madness is to commit to, and draw out a train wreck right to the very end. It's not a brain tumor that causes a husband to knife his wife to death, one morning, or a terminal case of dementia like Robin William's. To have the life sucked out of you drop by drop as you and others watch, and allow yourself to become such a victim. I guess that the poetic or literary among us would put it as "parading the dead", as the wish they were still alive to feel their final demise at the same time.

I saved the blunt version of what I was trying to say above for the peanut gallery.
    Anybody who uses 9 commas in a sentence is encased within the proverbial nutshell.

Anybody who uses 9 commas in a sentence is encased within the proverbial nutshell.
    Apparently you feel a void, with Singer gone, coach belly, and are intent on elevating your attacks as today you have attacked Dan Druff for banning Singer, and now twice attacked OneHitWonder, the first attack simply because he posted and now, because you don't like his grammar. Is this going to be your new role...you going to try to fill the nastiness void?

Apparently you feel a void, with Singer gone, coach belly, and are intent on elevating your attacks as today you have attacked Dan Druff for banning Singer, and now twice attacked OneHitWonder, the first attack simply because he posted and now, because you don't like his grammar. Is this going to be your new role...you going to try to fill the nastiness void?
    Ha, this is so obvious, that I didn't feel the need to point it out. Thanks.

I will get back to you about Williams, when time permits. I have a Hangouts conversation to attend to.

or a terminal case of dementia like Robin William's.
    Wait...What now? I haven't heard anything to this effect. Can you link to a source or has anyone else heard any mention of this?

As for all your comments after this comment, you lost me. I have no idea what you are talking about?

Wait...What now? I haven't heard anything to this effect. Can you link to a source or has anyone else heard any mention of this?
    It took me all of two seconds to find a link to it. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bin-williams1/

Williams was diagnosed with other similar diseases, along the way before his death. He knew what was coming.

At the moment, I spend some of my time to power of attorney for an elderly friend. He is only 74, but has Lewy Body dementia. So, I know some in-depth stuff about it. In many ways, it's still a psychological puzzle. But its hallucinations of the same set of made-up persons and animals are usually benign, and even entertaining or friendly to its sufferers. People last from 4 to 8 years with it, but, again, diagnosis is complicated by the fact that few doctors know much about it. A combination of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Which part of the disease comes first translates into its relative severity. Lewy bodies are one sort of junk that, sometimes, clogs a person's brain.

I have had a fair amount of clinical experience with such patients, and can pretty well pick up on the very early signs and symptoms in others even over the internet. Another part of this experience which appeals to me. Ha. Gambling addiction is really a composite of so many other things. In this way, too, something more that supports my above academic argument about gambling per se.

It took me all of two seconds to find a link to it. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bin-williams1/

Williams was diagnosed with other similar diseases, along the way before his death. He knew what was coming.

At the moment, I spend some of my time to power of attorney for an elderly friend. He is only 74, but has Lewy Body dementia. So, I know some in-depth stuff about it. In many ways, it's still a psychological puzzle. But its hallucinations of the same set of made-up persons and animals are usually benign, and even entertaining or friendly to its sufferers. People last from 4 to 8 years with it, but, again, diagnosis is complicated by the fact that few doctors know much about it. A combination of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Which part of the disease comes first translates into its relative severity. Lewy bodies are one sort of junk that, sometimes, clogs a person's brain.

I have had a fair amount of clinical experience with such patients, and can pretty well pick up on the very early signs and symptoms in others even over the internet. Another part of this experience which appeals to me. Ha. Gambling addiction is really a composite of so many other things. In this way, too, something more that supports my above academic argument about gambling per se.
    Interesting. Probably doesn't belong an a gambling forum but still interesting. I am presently involved in a battle among doctors, family, nursing home etc. as to whether a client of mine is competent enough, while suffering from LBD, to execute legal documents such as her Will, Trust, etc., and even whether she can sign a deed so as to complete the sale of her home.

I think you’re got something here. This left wing liberal snowflake didn’t have the balls or tits to take Rob’s right wing views on directly. It’s the typical left-wing move. Sucker punch from the back.

Since he’s gone this poster has suddenly been giving us endless meaningless bullshit. I couldn’t even finish the post above without thinking that this must be what it’s like to be in college today. Being forced to sit and listen through all that drivel while not challenging what’s being said or get a failing grade.

Originally Posted by blackhole View Post
    I think you’re got something here. This left wing liberal snowflake didn’t have the balls or tits to take Rob’s right wing views on directly. It’s the typical left-wing move. Sucker punch from the back.

Since he’s gone this poster has suddenly been giving us endless meaningless bullshit. I couldn’t even finish the post above without thinking that this must be what it’s like to be in college today. Being forced to sit and listen through all that drivel while not challenging what’s being said or get a failing grade.
    Geez--first Alan and Kewl agreed on something, and now I agree with Black. We need Rob back to put this world back in order.

Originally Posted by regnis View Post

Geez--first Alan and Kewl agreed on something, and now I agree with Black. We need Rob back to put this world back in order.
    Science isn't a democracry, or something for the blind.

Thread Information